I have failed.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

I have failed.

Post by KWK »

Sorry, friends, I wasn't up to the task. We moved back to the US last summer, and I'm finally getting around to purchasing guns. I took my son to the range today, where many manufacturers allowed people to fire their guns for a modest fee. He tried 22's in lever and bolt actions. I then took him to one of the better gun shops in the area, and there showed him 73s, 66s, 92s etc. Next I showed him how smooth the little Henry 22 is. Finally, I let him choose his first rifle. He chose a fine little ... Savage bolt gun. I am ashamed, but I will persevere in his education. :oops:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: I have failed.

Post by Old Savage »

I bought a great little 305 Stevens not long ago. Shoots great.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He chose a gun, so there is still hope. Just keep working on it and give it time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Lets see, how many first decisions do I regret..............................
never mind.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote:He chose a gun, so there is still hope. Just keep working on it and give it time.
+1. He'll come around!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that sounds like huge success to me, kudos to both of you, looking forward to the range report..

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My first two rifles were bolt guns, but my leverguns now outnumber them by far - so there is hope...!

My four kids likewise started with bolt actions, then 'converted' - most of the Marlins here belong to family members:

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

no failure there. sounds like the perfect father - son outing. the next generation into the shooting world is one member stronger. blessings. (and so close to Father's day too!!!) :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My first rifle was a Marlin Glenfield 60. My second was a Winchester 70. But it was my third rifle which got me hooked. I sold the other two, but the BB 94 is still with me, and started this whole fanaticism which to last count was up to I think about 21 lever guns. I need another one soon...

Kinda like women, it isn't the first one that is really memorable, that's just passing time till you find the special one.

Ed
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Thanks guys. I know he'll come around. Actually, I didn't try greatly to sway him. He shot the little Cub single-shot from Savage for some time today. It is a very nice little gun, rather light in weight, with a decent trigger and a fully adjustable peep sight. It's very easy to hit with. The Henry had a poor rear sight, and I thought it best to let him have a gun that makes it easy to hit the targets. His little sister is already looking forward to her turn with it.

I'm sure his experience today with the Marlin 39 at the range didn't help matters. It was extremely stiff, and it misfired several times (although it could have been the result of a bad batch of ammo). This was right after the Marlin semi he wanted to try refused to go into battery. Then the 94 Marlin in .44 Mag hiccupped a few times for me. You'd think the factory would take more care in selecting the guns they bring to such events.

Firing a Springfield .50 BMG really made his day. He swaggered around with those big cases jingling in his pocket all afternoon at the range. He's been reading the history of the B-17 in the war, and this was his chance to fire their guns.

The S&W .38 was a delight to shoot. I suspect this one had a factory trigger job. It was far smoother than the snubbie I sold off before moving overseas. I later handled an Uberti Stallion in .38 (shrunken SAA). Tough choice...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KWK wrote:Then the 94 Marlin in .44 Mag hiccupped a few times for me. You'd think the factory would take more care in selecting the guns they bring to such events.
If I were them I'd limit the 'demo' guns to the more reliable .357 1894's. I still like their .44 Mags though, but there is a definite 'rhythm' to working the actions.
KWK wrote:Firing a Springfield .50 BMG really made his day. He swaggered around with those big cases jingling in his pocket all afternoon at the range.
Now THAT sounds like the perfect thing to get a kid hooked on shooting! 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nobearsyet wrote:He may very well be like and "rotate" if you will between a lot of different types of shooting, I started out with a 22 autoloader, then got into bolt guns, the guns of WW2, submachine guns for a ver yshort spell (too expensive), then sixguns, went on a 1911 spree, then got back to cowboy guns, and will probably rotate into something else
Yep - I started with bolt-actions, wound up with leverguns, but in between just HAD to have the latest semiautomatic! Still like 'em all, but like the leverguns the most.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

+1 on him coming around.
My son first bought a 1911 pistol, then a Remington bolt gun, then a .223 semi auto, and he says that his next gun will be a lever action. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/