OT What's wrong with people???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT What's wrong with people???

Post by TedH »

I made a verbal, well, Internet deal with a fellow. We agreed to trade item A for item B. The worth of the item I was to be receiving was to be determined by me after receipt of said item, and I would forward an equal value of item B to this fellow. Some time passed and I never received item. I send a message to inquire, no response. A little more time passes, so I send another message, no response again. At this point I'm assuming the deal fell through for whatever reason, but c'mon, at least have the courtesy to let me know, or tell me to go pee up a rope, or whatever. :roll:
NRA Life Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT What's wrong with people???

Post by awp101 »

I feel for you! :(

I've had two deals on a rifle I'm trying to sell. The local buyer never showed for the meet or contacted me again. "Sold" it on another forum, the seller said the FFL would be mailed, never got it, then he said the shop forgot and he picked up a copy to mail with the MO, never received either and he's failed to respond to PM's or emails for the past two months.

A simple "I can't/I changed my mind/there was a typhoon/locusts/whatever" would have been fine, no harm, no foul. :roll:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My office works on appointments and I can tell you people have all sorts of ways of being responsible or not.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I get that sort of nonsense all the time with CL sales. For guns & ammo I stick to a well established local swap & sell. Other than a few nuts who are invariably from Fairbanks, I've had few problems.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When I was purchasing a gun earlier this year I darn near choked my local FFL for his inability to get a copy to the seller in a reasonable amount of time. I took this personally - as it was embarassing to me. I had made an agreement to purchase a firearm, and didn't like the delay being on my end, though short of standing on the guys head while he sent his FFL, it was beyond my control. I did communicate regularily with the seller - spent the better part of a week apologizing each day for the many excuse my FFL gave. It happens - but the buyer and seller should remain in frequent contact throughout the experience!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I think some of it is these folks are bull shifters and there's lots of them. They go through life in a dream world and don't care who suffers for it. They make deals but don't come through or buy things on ebay and don't pay. They are the same folks who will say I'll do "whatever" for you and never come through. Or the folks with the rotted car that "someday I'm gonna fix up" but never get to it. The same folks who say they can shoot 48 out of 50 clays but can't in front of someone or say they can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards but can never produce a target. I don't have time for these maggots any more.
Hmmmm.....After re-reading my post it seams I dislike these folks.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Ysabel Kid wrote:When I was purchasing a gun earlier this year I darn near choked my local FFL for his inability to get a copy to the seller in a reasonable amount of time. I took this personally - as it was embarassing to me. I had made an agreement to purchase a firearm, and didn't like the delay being on my end, though short of standing on the guys head while he sent his FFL, it was beyond my control. I did communicate regularily with the seller - spent the better part of a week apologizing each day for the many excuse my FFL gave. It happens - but the buyer and seller should remain in frequent contact throughout the experience!

The item in question is not a firearm, so there was nothing required of any third party. Just put the item in a package and mail it, or let me know you changed your mind so I can look for another one somewhere else. Why ignore my inquires? Sadly, this person is a regular poster here.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's the "my dog ate my homework" syndrome - as simple as that. ;) :mrgreen:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 buying transactions on forums and thru places like Gunbroker without a problem !

Right before I left for PI I sold about 30-40 pieces over Gunbroker and a few more thru forum transactions . I had 3 hiccups in the whole selling ! One guy thought he was buying a brand new barrel for the price of a used one and returned the item ! Another guy said he was hung up with family health matters and the incident was resolved within a week of the time he was late .
The third one however was just plain rude !

I put a Marlin 336 Zane Grey on GB for sale and a guy bid it up right before the end of the auction ! Which is no big deal but I had other bidders he "beat out" by $5 ! So after it was ended I sent him a email within 3 hours of the auctions end . He didn't reply to me within the directed 7 DAYS and finally did at the end of TWO WEEKS . I asked if he still wanted the rifle and his response was yes the MO and FFL are in the mail and you should have them soon ! After the third week was up I hadn't recieved squat ! So I gave him bad feedback and filed a non paying bidder report ! Haven't heard from the deadbeat since !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm seeing another one on Gunbroker I don't care for as well !

The seller will say we have a 3 day return policy and then somewhere below that in teeny tiny letters it will say they have a 10% restocking fee for any returned items !
When i see that I DO NOT BID !
When it says restocking fee and I have to pay shipping both ways if I am disatisfied that is just downright CHEAP !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now on a POSITIVE note !

I bought a Ruger #1B in 270 Weatherby . The dealer had it listed as BUY IT NOW as well , which I did ! We called and did the transaction over the phone with a CC (which they charged no extra for ) then we faxed the FFL while we were doing the CC part !

From the time we ended the auction until the rifle was in my hands it took about 42 hours :wink:

That has to be the quickest start to finish internet transaction I have ever been apart of !
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

TedH wrote:Sadly, this person is a regular poster here.
I was gonna ask if it was here. They may read this and get back with you from public ebarrassment, even though no names were mentioned 'cause they know who they are.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A couple comments.

I've been selling my cylinder bags and some of my shooting stuff for a year or so now. Occasionally I'll get a sudden non communicating customer. So far all the reasons have been legit, except for a couple who "just forgot". Duh, how can you go though all the trouble to respond to a seller, arrange to buy an item, and then just forget. Beats me.

Now, YK, here is how I handle that FFL deal. I arrange to buy a gun. Confirm the price and method of payment, get all the address info. Prepare an envelope, go to my receiving FFL dealer who I have already made arrangements with and get a copy of his FFL. Then I put it in the envelope with the payment and take it to the post office myself.
I learned long time ago not to depend on anyone to do something that's time critical. It's better to do it myself. I've had no problems this way.

JOe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've only bought one firearm on gunbroker and the only problem I had was with getting the FFL to the seller. The seller which was a gunshop didn't have a fax machine so my local guy who is used to faxing had to e-mail is FFL . Well it didn't go through. For a seller who wanted his FFL through e-mail , he sure didn't like responding to them . After about 10 days I finally get a response that he never received the FFL info. It all worked out in the end. But then again life gets busy where I'm not sure what day it is sometimes.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Andrew wrote:
TedH wrote:Sadly, this person is a regular poster here.
I was gonna ask if it was here. They may read this and get back with you from public ebarrassment, even though no names were mentioned 'cause they know who they are.

Doesn't matter at this point, I won't deal with that nonsense. If the item shows up because of this thread, I'll just send it back.
NRA Life Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:So far all the reasons have been legit, except for a couple who "just forgot". Duh, how can you go though all the trouble to respond to a seller, arrange to buy an item, and then just forget. Beats me.
When I was running in-home service, I'd have it happen every few weeks where the customer forgot their scheduled appointment and I always thought the same thing. Some were due to emergencies or family health issues and those I can understand. Saturdays and summer time were the most frequent.

The item broke and it was important enough to them to get it fixed yet it's not worth writing a note to remember? :roll:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

J Miller wrote: I arrange to buy a gun. Confirm the price and method of payment, get all the address info. Prepare an envelope, go to my receiving FFL dealer who I have already made arrangements with and get a copy of his FFL. Then I put it in the envelope with the payment and take it to the post office myself.I've had no problems this way.
I have never done it another way and didn't know people even did. I just ask for an FFL(he knows enough to sign them to avoid problems) and he produces it promptly and gladly. Back in the day when I didn't have two kids, I went enough trips in a small enough time frame that he gave me two FFL's one day just in case I won something else. It came in handy that very weekend too. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have gotten paper copys to mail and had them faxed before and never had a problem. My dealer won't do it at all for new guns, but used firearms are not a problem for him, of course he likes to get the 25 bucks for it too.
NRA Life Member
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

IMO, too many people say "I'll take it!" before asking their Mommies.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:lol: Probably the most real reason for this behaviour
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:My office works on appointments and I can tell you people have all sorts of ways of being responsible or not.
Sometimes I wish we sold 'tickets' for appointments, so people would get the concept that they've reserved time we provide at an overhead cost of about $4.00 per minute. Someone 'no-shows' for a 60 minute physical, and they've cost me $240 - but boy do they think it's "unfair" when we charge them a token no-show fee of even $20.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
oldgoodstuff57
Levergunner

Post by oldgoodstuff57 »

Also you have these guys that give you the run around telling you they'er going to sell you something but don't back their word.
I don't go looking for trouble, it just that trouble seems to find me
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm a bit suspicious and ask too many questions when making "gun buys" over the net, but I have never been dissatisfied with any of them. Something has to be pretty "wrong" for me to get to the "send it back" point. Some folks, on the other hand, expect too much. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Mike D. wrote:I'm a bit suspicious and ask too many questions when making "gun buys" over the net, but I have never been dissatisfied with any of them . . .
Good on ya. Nothing wrong with "intensive direct examination" when buying anything at more than arm's length.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

The guy was probably trying to run a scam on you.
Thinking somehow you might have been stupid enough to send him somthing first to look at ,then he would send you his???????
Thinking you might try after not hearing from him that is you sent yours first the deal would still be one.
Some people would be dense or in some type of hurry to unload their item.(like maybe its defective?)He would have kept yours never sending you anything?

"I will keep my money guns and freedom,you can keep your CHANGE"