Eagle Sighting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Eagle Sighting

Post by HEAD0001 »

My friend has a home right on the Monongahela river here in WV. I go catfishing off his pier all the time. We have a new attraction this year. We have spotted and have been watching 3 eagles. The one guy is huge. And he has a big white head. I heard they have different head colors(don't know much about eagles). This guy is enormous. I sure hope nobody shoots him. He is a lot of fun to watch soaring up and down the river valley. This is a secluded section of the mon. river so he might have a good chance of making it. I do not know if he has a nest or not. I guess the little guys will show up pretty soon if they are there.

I wish I was good enough to get a picture. However my camera is not capable of that. And neither am I for that matter.

I do not know how many of you guys have watched eagles before. AndI have seen them before. However this guy gets up close pretty often. And he is pretty impressive. Tom.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Eagle Sighting

Post by 2ndovc »

We've had a pair nesting about 100 yds behind our house for three years now.

A couple weeks ago we had a day of 30 to 40 knot winds. The eagles were out with their eaglet just hanging on the wind. I sat and watched the whole time and never thought to go grab the camera.

It sure is cool to see them swoop through the yard! Keeps the squirrles on their toes :D

I've gotten a couple photos but not very good ones. They seem to be camera shy.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I hear .....
The big ones are the females...
and the male is a bit smaller ....
we have a lot of eagles in Florida...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Eagles are just too cool.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I left Puyallup, WA (try pronouncing THAT, Blaine & Bear excluded), on Thursday evening and saw several places on I-90 in WA where they've erected stands for eagles to nest. Wished I would've had time to stop and photog some... but it was kinda tight getting to KY last nite.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When we first started seeing them around here, I was used to the crow-chasing-red-tail phenomenon, and was walking across a log bridge, glancing up momentarily to see that happen. Only there wasn't a 'crow' noise; so when I got across and could look up without falling, I looked up just in time to see a red-tail hawk chasing a bald eagle out of 'his' turf.

Hopefully, they'll never nest on our place; the feds would probably seize the place to 'protect' them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Eagles are pretty neat.

I remember watching a pair of Bald eagles fishing on Scotts Reservoir just outside of Lakeside AZ as a kid, I think they got their limit before I did.

Have a friend that spends about half his life in Alaska he says the Bald eagles are pests up there.

Here in E. VA I see them often usually on a Road kill deer, the buzzards having to wait their turn.

One time in S. AZ in the Santa Rita MTNS I was up in Faber canyon on a game trail just below the rim rock, I saw a Golden Eagle coming down the canyon just a little below me that was being pestered by a Redtail hawk, I was watching them thinking it was pretty neat to see them from above instead of from below when I heard a big whoosh overhead and looked up in time to see another Golden Eagle in full dive mode headed for the Redtail, the Redtail rolled up at the last second but not fast enough, the Golden Eagle snagged it with his left foot, a little puff of feather's and the Redtail pulled free locked it's wings and crashed landed on a little bald hill across the canyon, seen a lot of neat things in that canyon over the years.

Have fun
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

2ndovc wrote:We've had a pair nesting about 100 yds behind our house for three years now.

A couple weeks ago we had a day of 30 to 40 knot winds. The eagles were out with their eaglet just hanging on the wind. I sat and watched the whole time and never thought to go grab the camera.

It sure is cool to see them swoop through the yard! Keeps the squirrles on their toes :D

I've gotten a couple photos but not very good ones. They seem to be camera shy.

jb 8)
Didn't you have a shotgun with you??? I'm kidding!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Keep an eye on them. One of the coolest things I ever saw with bald eagles was one spring my ex and I were boat riding (small john boat with a 5 HP outboard) on the Colorado river here in Texas. A mating pair of them were doing their mate flight. They would climb about 200 feet above the water, one of them would turn upside down below the other, they would lock claws and free fall until they were about 50 feet above the river then separate. They did this several times. Really neat to watch.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

We have Bald Eagles and Golden Eagles in our area and sometimes we will see some of them soaring over our house and resting in a big tree down by the creek. We also have several types of Hawks. All very neat to watch.
ED
Yer never too old
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Griff wrote:I left Puyallup, WA (try pronouncing THAT, Blaine & Bear excluded
PEW ALL UP
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Neat raptors, that's for sure.

Since they just got de-listed from the Endangered Species List here in Maine, ayuh, I figured I'd add a few pix of some of the "locals".

( Plus, someone had to add some pix to this posting... ) :D

There were taken at the lake not 5 miles from the house...
Eagles Oct 11th (4) (Small).jpg
Eagles Oct 11th (5) (Small).jpg
Eagles Oct 11th (6) (Small).jpg
Gotta love the 12X digital zoom with image-stabilization!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH