Savage 99 tang safety ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Savage 99 tang safety ?

Post by cutter »

The tang safety on my savage will not go all the way to the 'off safe' position. I removed the stock , and thuroughly cleaned the innards. I can see from the wear marks that the button is comming to within 1/16 in of where it is supposed too.

The safety functions ok, but is too easy to turn on, and sometimes requires the lever to be cracked open ever so slightly then reshut to turn off.

Any ideas?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just bought one but haven't any experience to speak of. Perhaps we can push this BTT. Meanwhile I'll do some research (given the time).

FWIW, something has to be either blocking movement of the parts or something is damaged such that it can't move properly. Mine is stiff but works without jiggling parts... That makes me think that somewhere in the link something is broken or improperly connected. Most likely the latter but then again, I need to look at the parts to figure it out.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

After looking at the diagram, and considering how filthy this gun was, I think the trouble may be in the groove where the safety slide travels.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Steve,

Not having seen your gun, dirt is always the first thing I think of. Try cleaning it out and let us know.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Ok, this is weird.

I got all the grass seeds, crusted gun oil, and paper ( beats me ) cleaned out of the action.

Now the safety snaps both ways positively, but doesn't work.

The gun will fire ON or OFF safe, but with a ever so slightly heavier trigger pull on safe.

???

I'm thnking," So? No safety!"

Leave it alone , or keep going?

By the way, this is a fascinating action. It's like a mutant upside down Swedish 96 crossbread with a levergun.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

Sounds broke to me....I'll do some reading and see if I can help..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I would appriciate that.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Ok it's fixed.

The tab on the bottom of the safety slide was too wide to fit in the trigger recess. The entire works was out of wack, binding and twisting during operation.

I narrowed the tab, and now it functions perfectly.

I also slicked it up a bit, while I had it apart. It's very smooth now. Once the glue dries ( cracked stock ) it should be about right.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Did I read it wrong somewhere or is it true that the tang safety models can't be de-cocked..unlike the the lever safety models?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The dreaded Savage safety jam? :?:
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Ben, I am unable to de-cock mine.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks cutter.. good to know :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The dreaded Savage safety jam? :?:
You're going to start something! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Ben, they can be decocked but, it takes much more finess. -JDL
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

JDL Interesting..Sounds dicey with a live round in the spout..