OT: Cartridges of the World - question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Cartridges of the World - question

Post by J Miller »

I just got the 11th edition of Cartridges of the World and have a question.

Does each edition add new cartridges to the editions that came before, or do they drop some off each time? Shamefully, this is the first C OT W I've ever owned.

Also if anybody is still looking for the Hodgdon's 2009 Annual Manual, Midway is the only place I've found that still has them. Hodgdon is out, and B&N doesn't even show it in their order books.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Re: OT: Cartridges of the World - question

Post by Hobie »

There are differences between editions. Mic changed the whole layout for the 11th edition. I like it much better. Many cartridges were added but I'm not sure if any were removed. I think, I might be wrong, Mic's first edition was the 8th. He didn't seem to change the format much but it does seem to have his "style" to it.

Of course I could be all wet. I've only had the 3rd (IIRC, I gave it away), 8th and 11th editions.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

J Miller wrote:I just got the 11th edition of Cartridges of the World and have a question.

Does each edition add new cartridges to the editions that came before, or do they drop some off each time? Shamefully, this is the first C OT W I've ever owned.

Also if anybody is still looking for the Hodgdon's 2009 Annual Manual, Midway is the only place I've found that still has them. Hodgdon is out, and B&N doesn't even show it in their order books.

Joe
Wal-Mart has the Hodgdon 2009 Annual Manual on their website. That is where I got my copy of Marlin Firearms by Brophy for $55.00 -- about $45.00 less than anywhere else. You wouldn't normally think of them but Wal-Mart has an excelletn book section.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:
J Miller wrote:I just got the 11th edition of Cartridges of the World and have a question.

Joe
Wal-Mart has the Hodgdon 2009 Annual Manual on their website. That is where I got my copy of Marlin Firearms by Brophy for $55.00 -- about $45.00 less than anywhere else. You wouldn't normally think of them but Wal-Mart has an excellent book section.
Ed's right. That's where I got my copy of Brophy's book as well. They are on line, too! I know Ed mentioned it but I am so happy not to actually have to drive to, park and go in the store. Call me names, but I don't like going to Walmart.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:Call me names, but I don't like going to Walmart.
OK, you asked for it!

HOBIE! HOBIE! HOBIE!

:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

How about, "Patriot"?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Cartridges are dropped and others added. I suspect the printer likes to keep the number of pages something less than in the thousands. The wildcats section isn't what it once was.

At one time, various families of proprietary cartridges (eg. Lazzaroni) were grouped on a single page with a table giving the differences in performance. Now, each in the line-up gets a small write up, and these are nearly identical.

The book is riddled with errors, but most are obvious. Some of the reloading data is very iffy.

The tables of cartridge performance, especially in the British sporting cartridges, is a mix from various old catalogs, and some of these were a wee bit optimistic.

McPherson replaced a lot of the loading data with estimates from QuickLoad, and these are also rather optimistic looking.

For what it's worth, I liked the older editions -- when Barnes was still at the helm -- better, but the one currently on my shelf is a McPherson job.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

" How about Patriot" Travis beat me to it!! :lol:
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Here is a question that has bugged me for a long time.
In COTW one will see once in a while in the load data a reference of "NA".
What does this stand for? Not Applicable ??
Not Applicable does not seem to fit the reference but it is the only
thing I can think of.
Not a earth shaking problem, just a head scratcher.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Or NA = Not Available.
Well done is better than well said.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Isn't all the Hodgdon data available for free on their website?

Scott
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Isn't all the Hodgdon data available for free on their website?

Scott
I don't know for sure, it may be. But I like paper. And the r-ticles, and the pitchurs, and the fact that when the computer goes down the paper book will work just fine. :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

A "book"? Where does the battery go? Or do you plug it in? :roll: I prefer paper, too.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Hodgdon's data on line is fairly extensive, but it lacks one nice bit of data and one important bit of data. It's nice to have how long the barrel was. Without that, it's hard to interpret their fps readings. I consider knowing the type of primer used to be very important, and they don't bother to include that on the web site. Their printed Annual is the only way to go.

CotW is nice for an overview of the history cartridge development, and it's interesting to see how similar cartridges sprang up on both sides of the Atlantic. The load data must always be considered suspect, and I never use it for loads.