OT - New Ruger .44 Magnum Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - New Ruger .44 Magnum Rifle

Post by AJMD429 »

("OT" because it isn't a levergun, but for the infidels who like bolt guns in 'levergun' cartridges...)

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdVie ... 2&return=Y
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - New Ruger .44 Magnum Rifle

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, it is a .44 Magnum. Right then and there you know it can't be all bad! 8)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Side lever. :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Using the 96/44 magazine in the 77 seems a no-brainer. Probably the 96/44 barrels, too. Are they trying to use up existing parts?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just when I think I can stop buying guns for a while!!

That just looks like fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Ruger put out a 77/44 quite some years back, but I don't recall whether that version had the rotary mag. I do remember reports of great accuracy.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Remington 788 .44 Mag also had a great reputation for accuracy.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

When they come out with the 77/45, call me. 8) :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

All of Ruger's Model 77/whatever (22, 22M, 22H, 44, etc) are rotary mag designs.

The only one that wasn't was the Model 77/50 muzzleloader.

BTW - Since the receiver ring tops on all of them are even, they take equal-height Ruger rings of any height or color, just like the #1 rifle.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

The ad says it's a new product, but I seem to recall Ruger making a bolt-action .44 Mag some years ago, too.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They made some of those a while back. A buddy that had one said it didn't shoot worth beans. Knowing him though, it probably wasn't the gun's fault. Personally, I don't get it. If I want a rifle in 44 mag, it's got to be a lever. I do hope it sells well for them though.
Last edited by TedH on Fri May 15, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

TedH wrote:They made some of those a while back. A buddy that had one said it didn't shoot worth beans. Knowing him though, it probably wasn't the gun's fault. Personally, I don't get it. If I want a rifle in 44 mag, it's got to be a lever. Hope do hope it sells well for them though.
I very nearly bought one when they made them before. I'd get one now, but not before a .357 lever, and a .45-70 lever. At least that's the way I have it planned. Thing is, things very rarely go the way I planned them.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From what I remember the last one they had (77/44) was blue. This might be "new" in that it's in SS. I remember reading about a suppressed 77/44 years ago where even they said that the less than stellar accuracy of the factory version might have been improved by the addition of the can.

At lest it has a 1:20 twist so it should shoot heavy bullets better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't know what's "new" about it - unless it's the fact that Ruger has newly re-introduced the All-Weather 77/44, after it's discontinuence in 2004.

The original runs of 77/44's started in 1997, with blued/walnut models - but I can't recall if the walnut's were discontinued with the intro of the stainless All-Weather, or kept being produced along with them to the end.

IIRC, there was some discussion on the Ruger Forum about the first 2009 guns being NOS - of which Ruger was clearing a LOT of different models from it's warehouses. A sort of "Spring cleaning", IOW.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

They produced concurrently, both the blue and stainless versions, but had discontinued them a couple of years back. Would have liked one of the stainless guns ,but with a wood stock.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

May be a while on availability.
I've been on the list for a test sample for a while & as of earlier this week when I asked about it again there seems to be no known date.
Denis
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This is my Ruger 96 44 MAG. It has one of the smoothest and fastest lever actions of all time. Safety is quiet, too.

I CAN NOT get excited about a bolt action rifle with black plastic stock.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

t.r. wrote:Image
This is my Ruger 96 44 MAG. It has one of the smoothest and fastest lever actions of all time. Safety is quiet, too.
"Gosh that's a UGLY levergun..." :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sorry - I just had to do that, since every time I post on my Ruger leverguns at least one response has to rail on how 'ugly' they are vs. the 'classics' - kind of like YK's slippers' - I guess it is a forum ritual... :lol:

I really like the Ruger leverguns - and the deer don't laugh at them much at all... :twisted:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

AJMD429 wrote:
t.r. wrote:Image
"Gosh that's a UGLY levergun..." :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sorry - I just had to do that, since every time I post on my Ruger leverguns at least one response has to rail on how 'ugly' they are vs. the 'classics' - kind of like YK's slippers' - I guess it is a forum ritual... :lol:

I really like the Ruger leverguns - and the deer don't laugh at them much at all... :twisted:
I've always like the looks of the Ruger leverguns, but then I also like the Winchester 88 and the Savage 99.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Gosh, that's an ugly levergun.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Good grief! Just what the world needs --- another AR made from sub-contract parts with a Ruger stamp on it! I would've thought Ruger had their bases covered with the Mini-14, especially since they "accurized" it a couple of years ago.

I hope they lose a fortune on this one ---- i predict it will go the way of the Police Carbine (PC-9 and PC-40) within 3 years. The PC series actually filled a niche left empty when Marlin quit making their little 9 and 45 carbines though.

The only way this SR should sell is if it is at a solid, under $1000 starting price. Colt still owns the AR market for those wanting to spend more than that, followed by the rest of the gang (Bushy, DPMS, Rock River etc etc etc)
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KWK wrote:Gosh, that's an ugly levergun.
Thanks, I was waiting for that... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Streetstar wrote:

Good grief! Just what the world needs --- another AR made from sub-contract parts with a Ruger stamp on it! I would've thought Ruger had their bases covered with the Mini-14, especially since they "accurized" it a couple of years ago.

I hope they lose a fortune on this one ---- i predict it will go the way of the Police Carbine (PC-9 and PC-40) within 3 years. The PC series actually filled a niche left empty when Marlin quit making their little 9 and 45 carbines though.

The only way this SR should sell is if it is at a solid, under $1000 starting price. Colt still owns the AR market for those wanting to spend more than that, followed by the rest of the gang (Bushy, DPMS, Rock River etc etc etc)

Now that is an UGLY gun!
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Even more OT, my wife has one of the old Ruger semi-automatic carbines. It's a pretty accurate little beast and my wife's favorite hunting gun.