OT: Color Case Hardening is UGLY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Color Case Hardening is UGLY

Post by Modoc ED »

Am I the only one that thinks "Color Case Hardening" is UGLY? Especially the jobs that are bright and really stand out. Subtle "Color Case Hardening" isn't too bad but this new stuff is just ridiculous.

Take a look at the receiver (first picture under Finishing) that has been "Color Case Hardened" on this link:

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/stor ... atid=19872

IT IS UGLY !!!!

My .02¢
ED
Yer never too old
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Color Case Hardening is UGLY

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I do like color case hardening but I prefer it with more subtle changes and slower rolling of the colors. The picture you show there has too many contrasting or sharp blue points for my taste. I think it needs a light yellow tint to the laquering to help tone it down a bit. In fact, that picture may be of the receiver prior to the final finish.

I do like the subtle colors rolling behind the engraving on this particular rifle on his site though. I must admit though that the engraving and gold are out front and the case colors are more of the backdrop.

I really favor colors like this ... somewhat less busy if you will.

... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I agree, the best is where the colore barely change from one to another
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Rimfire - The coloring on your second picture isn't too bad but still a bit too standoutish for my taste. I do like the engraving and gold of the first picture.

My first preference is always bluing.
ED
Yer never too old
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Are you just teasing?
I love color case hardening. Some of it is a bit bright, but it will mellow with age and use.

My wife always reminds me "there is no accounting for people's taste".
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

There were huge differences in the finished product and process between Winchester, Marlin, and Stevens. They were almost like a trademark.

Stevens was dipped in molten cyanide and gave a "tiger stripe" effect.

Marlin was bone/charcoal and this is not a really good example either.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I love old case hardening, but that Turnbull gun is too flashy/gaudy/bright for my taste. I like the examples in Rimfires's photos much better.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Naw, those colors are just fine. Give 'em a couple hunting seasons and other general use and they'll start to fade out nicely.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You must be. I love color case hardening. BEAUTIFUL!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It has its place.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I like it real contrasting. The splashes on that example are a bit big for me. I do love CCH though. 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

I dont know about ugly, i kinda like it.
g rice
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Put me in the "I like it list" . Bolder the better! That way it will last longer. :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I much prefer the old nitre blue, especially after it ages. Case hardening doesn't do much for me, either. It really is not durable and will fade with use and exposure to light, weather, and the oils of the human body. Silvered out case colors look rather like bare metal, but that's not too bad. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like CCH. If it is to bright at first it will mellow out a lot with use.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I do think sometimes it is gaudy when new.

Even though I really like my little 'ugly duckling' Ruger leverguns, I think the case-hardened levers with blued receivers just looks STRANGE. Either do it all or none of it, in my opinion...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love color casehardening, if it's correct for the type of gun. As jdad said, each was different. His CPA 44 1/2 has the nice correct Stevens style striped cyanide colors, and looks perfect.
The colors that Turnbull uses are very nice, but on a Winchester that just isn't the correct color. On a Marlin it would look much closer to correct.
I think the work Mike Hunter did on "1886's" model 86 Browning is much closer to what a Win. should be.
I really like the contrast of blued and case color. The old Marlins with their blued bolts and screws and a cased receiver really appeal to me! Same thing for the Rems. with their blued hammers, blocks, and screws, with cased receivers. Just sets them off and balances well. I'm not too fond of all cased, or all blued; just looks like too much of one thing, like an all white car.
Last edited by marlinman93 on Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I love all the CCH. Like stated, a little time and they all fade or mellow out.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I love the look of authentic bone & charcoal color case hardening. On the other hand, I do not like the chemical color 'case hardening'.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Love it on them nice levers!!!!!!!!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I don't care for the real bright stuff as on my 1860 C&B so I put cold blue on it and now it is a gray black which I like better. On the other hand I like Colt's version.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I love case color and to my mind Turnbull does it the best. If its not your taste please send the case colored guns to me! :lol:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

To my tastes theres not much like a nice case colored finish. If I have a choice I'll opt for case colors every time. :wink:
No two guns will ever be the same either.
(its the same 336 in both the 2nd & 5th pictures, in the top picture its wearing new wood)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like it but............I do agree that Doug's colors are mighty bright, but.........(again) thats the way they were when the guns were new. I once had a '93 Marlin that was new (as in 1912) that the colors jumped at you. The below pics are from a SA Colt I have that was made in 1917 and a Trapdoor made in '88. I personally think they are nice. The last pic is a first month 39 Marlin that belongs to my buddy, Tom.--------Sixgun
Image,

Image,

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love the look of CCH, especially when the hues are vivid, but not distracting. CCH done well is probably my favorite finish. I have seen plenty of poor jobs - either too stark in contrast, or too dull. Then again, I've seen bad bluing and horrible nickel jobs too. Pretty much, like with most else in life, you get what you pay for...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I like color case.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

put me down for liking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Sixgun wrote:Image
OMG. That 39 is right on the money. :shock:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

One thing I want to make perfectly clear is that I am NOT knocking anyone's guns. That's just not my style. There have been some really nice looking guns posted in this thread. The gun that "Pokey" posted with the Color Case Hardened receiver that has been engraved is beautiful. Just because I don't like Color Case Hardening does not mean that I think that guns that have been treated as such are ugly. You (meaning I) have to take into consideration the entire gun not just the Color Case Hardened part. My preference is an all blued gun and to some extent a well worn gun can be just as attrative/alluring as a brand-spanking-new gun.

Lots of nice guns pictured in this thread. Thanks for sharing.
ED
Yer never too old
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I didn't take you as knocking anything really, just used it as an excuse to post a few pictures. :mrgreen:
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I would rather have a nice blue job myself. But I like colts with cch.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I don't particularly care for it myself either... though back in the day it served a purpose.

It still serves a purpose though in some areas though. To wit: ppg 70-71 of Expedient Home-made Firearms by Philip Luty:
As an alternative to bluing, the weapon can be finished to a case-hardened effect. This is my personal favorite, since it is truly expedient and only requires a gas torch and a small amount of oil. While this is not true case hardening, it is a similar good looking and durable finish. Just as with bluing, all visible external surfaces must be polished smooth, but degreasing sections of the weapon is unnecessary for the following process. First the gun is stripped, but only down to its major component parts. The magazine is disassembled, but the pistol grip is not removed. With all necessary parts removed, the receivers are bolted together and the recoil shield inserted back into position. A small amount of light oil is smeared onto the external surfaces of the receiver assembly, but not too much; a few drops are perfectly adequate.
Starting at one end of the assembly, the flame of a gas torch is applied approximately 1” from the surface of the steel. The flame should not be moved around but held in the same position for approximately 20 to 30 seconds until heat rings, appear, which indicate that the steel has changed color. This process is repeated at intervals of about 2” along the entire length of both receivers until all sides have been heated and all oil has evaporated. The magazine body is finished in exactly the same way, but all internal parts are removed first, since any significant heat applied to a spring will destroy it. The barrel must not be finished using this process unless the two barrel tubes were silver-soldered together, since any significant heat applied to bearing adhesive will melt it. Barrel tubes held together with adhesive must either be blued or left the natural steel color. The full case-hardening colors will not become apparent until the steel has cooled partially, at which point, with the steel still warm, a small amount of oil is applied to the receiver assembly and magazine. With a steel wool wad of fine or medium grade, each side of the receivers, grip, and magazine is very lightly polished. The oil will prevent the steel wool from scratching and bring out the full color case-hardened effect. Finally, any surplus oil is wiped off with a clean cloth or paper towel and the weapon is reassembled.
The end result is an attractive, durable finish and, best of all, is almost foolproof to create because the gas torch and oil do all the work. Remember, these are expedient finishes and are not intended to compete with the sophisticated methods employed in arms factories or gunsmith shops. Providing the machine gun is not dragged along the ground behind a pick-up truck, the blued or heat- colored finishes described here are quick to apply, attractive, and durable.
So... if you can't blue it, an oil CCH is a great expedient rust-inhibiting finish.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The CCH on my Ruger was done by Turnbull and photos just can't do it justice.
I agree that there are some jobs out there that are a little over done but
this particular sixgun looks far better now than it ever did. (To Me)

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I am in the "love it" category !

Cant post any examples because i don't have one yet, but i am one who really likes the contrast and flashiness of the Turnbull CCH's. That Stevens on the first page with the Tiger Stripe pattern also makes me swoon
----- Doug
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Give me stainless steel any day.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Leverdude wrote:I didn't take you as knocking anything really, just used it as an excuse to post a few pictures. :mrgreen:
+1 :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Modoc ED wrote:One thing I want to make perfectly clear is that I am NOT knocking anyone's guns. That's just not my style. There have been some really nice looking guns posted in this thread. The gun that "Pokey" posted with the Color Case Hardened receiver that has been engraved is beautiful. Just because I don't like Color Case Hardening does not mean that I think that guns that have been treated as such are ugly. You (meaning I) have to take into consideration the entire gun not just the Color Case Hardened part. My preference is an all blued gun and to some extent a well worn gun can be just as attrative/alluring as a brand-spanking-new gun.

Lots of nice guns pictured in this thread. Thanks for sharing.
Dittos - emphasis added... ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I too think that some of the work done now days is a bit garish. Here are a couple of examples I think strike a good balance.

Winchester 1876
Winchester 1873
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ed, I hope you didn't take anything I said seriously. I was only giving you a hard time. I like the looks of almost all firearms. The old ones that have browned or silvered are just as pretty to me as a new CCH or blued one, sometimes prettier. The cyanide treated ones kind of turn me off becuase the finish doesn't look right to begin with and it's very fragile.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

kimwcook wrote:Ed, I hope you didn't take anything I said seriously. I was only giving you a hard time. I like the looks of almost all firearms. The old ones that have browned or silvered are just as pretty to me as a new CCH or blued one, sometimes prettier. The cyanide treated ones kind of turn me off becuase the finish doesn't look right to begin with and it's very fragile.
That's ok. No harm, no foul. We've all got our preferences. It's just some of the stuff now-a-days is garish and gaudy. The link I provided for Turnball proves it in my opinion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grizzly Adams - Yes, those two examples are very nice. Subdued and well done.
ED
Yer never too old
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey I'm glad you brought the topic up! It's a great discussion, and although many people like CCH, a lot of us have different reasons to like it. Great thread.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Sixgun wrote:
Leverdude wrote:I didn't take you as knocking anything really, just used it as an excuse to post a few pictures. :mrgreen:
+1 :D
+2 and thanks for the kind words.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I like things a little subtle. Here is my only case coloured rifle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Don't really care for the bright, splashy look, but a properly faded and genuine look is wonderful :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Husqvarna got some greenish teint in the charcoal case hardening by adding old military boots to the charcoal. The shotgun is model 310/D box lock, and the rolling blocks mod 33 bird rifle.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Old Sh

Your Comment: "Husqvarna got some greenish teint in the charcoal case hardening by adding old military boots to the charcoal."

do you know this for a fact??

Mike
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nice Rollers Old Shatterhand! I've got a Type 33A also, and the colors Husq. did on these old Rollers were very nice indeed!

AJD
Levergunner

Post by AJD »

I love CCH. Like alot of things with guns sometimes it grows on you and that was the case with me. I would also say that certain guns just look best with certain finishes.

My Browning B-92 looks just right with a blued reciever but my Uberti 73 rifle just seems more at home with a case colored reciever(I know its not the real stuff but it's still pretty close in appearance).

Several of the new S&W "Classics" can be purchased with a CCH frame but it just looks a little odd to me when a 1917 revolver has a CCH frame. Put a CCH finish on a Colt SAA frame and you have something special.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I can take it or leave it but I don't like the real bright colors look a bit cheap to me, being addicted to 86's the strongest one's have blued actions (nothing to do with the case colors) so I tend to go with them infact would never buy one that wasn't smokeless. The only other rifles I would buy are 92's or 94's and they have blued actions anyway. I know one thing about case coloring it sure adds lots of dollars to old Winchester's compared to blued ones.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

You are WRONG, Ed. What you should've said is "IN MY OPINION, case-hardening is ugly." As the saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the looker". jd45