Off Topic,Virus Fear

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Off Topic,Virus Fear

Post by big bear »

I've just got a flurry of warnings about WinPC antivirus and firewall problem with my computer. Message urges activation of this WinPC antivirus program, which requires a payment of $99.00. I have up to date Norton antivirus purchased over the counter. I'm not buying into this warning. Anybody know anything about this?I'm fed up with this virus b.s. to the point I am buying an Apple computer this week and trashing my old PC, enough is enough!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Off Topic,Virus Fear

Post by C. Cash »

Sounds like phishing to me. Perhaps the computer gurus will chime in here but I would think that all you need to do is a virus scan from your current software and just forget about it. My wife goes back and does a system restore to a date before that pop up appeared.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Check with AVG and see if you can still get a free scan, or even the whole program free for a year. I used up my "free" status, but have been buying the program for the last 3 years....very, very good "anti" software.....have not had a problem since installing AVG. The McAfee and Norton let me get spyware and worms all the time :|
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Keep your old PC, just run Puppy Linux in it, booted from the CDROM.
http://www.puppylinux.com/

1) All your windows stuff is still there. Whenever you need an old windows application, just open the CD drawer and boot windows.

2) Any online stuff, boot Puppy. I have been using it for a long time now and never use a virus checker; never had any problem. It is a very fast OS too. Puppy can also access your windows files (e.g., .doc and .xls files), so I rarely boot windows any more. There are also ways to run windows applications under Puppy (called "wine") but I haven't had a lot of luck with that. Some people use it though.

Windows is not fit to be online. Every time I have to use somebody else's PC to get online with windows, it feels like torture to me. I don't know why people stick with it.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

PaulB wrote:Keep your old PC, just run Puppy Linux in it, booted from the CDROM.
http://www.puppylinux.com/

1) All your windows stuff is still there. Whenever you need an old windows application, just open the CD drawer and boot windows.

2) Any online stuff, boot Puppy. I have been using it for a long time now and never use a virus checker; never had any problem. It is a very fast OS too. Puppy can also access your windows files (e.g., .doc and .xls files), so I rarely boot windows any more. There are also ways to run windows applications under Puppy (called "wine") but I haven't had a lot of luck with that. Some people use it though.

Windows is not fit to be online. Every time I have to use somebody else's PC to get online with windows, it feels like torture to me. I don't know why people stick with it.

Paul is right on spot here..........

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It a virus/popup or what ever you want to call it. Got hit with it last week. "DO NOT CLICK" It's also a bugger to get rid of. My spyware scan picked it up and killed it, but everytime I ran the scan again, it was back. Finally had to do a restore, then run my antivirus, and spyware. Did a registry clean up as well, then defraged. Not sure what killed it, buy it finally went away.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Shut down and re-boot and pray. It may be too late now!!
I got hit by a similar one a few months back. It cost me over $400 to get it and all my data back and running.

Any deal like that should have a web site if they are on the up and up. Do a little checking first. Good luck. :)