Great day at OAC gun show.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Great day at OAC gun show.

Post by marlinman93 »

The gun scare has really changed the attendance at our monthly collector's show. Seems even we have benefited from this hysteria by getting lots more folks in the door.
About 8:00 AM I stumbled onto a great buy on a 20x Fecker scope, then about 10 minutes later a friend walks up with a full sized Rolling Block sporting rifle rebarreled to .22LR and points me towards the seller. Price tag was $300, so I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough! Then as I'm paying for the Roller I see he has a beautiful professionally restored Winchester Hi Wall 1885 on his table too. .30-30 #3 round barrel, and scope blocks (just the place to mount the new Fecker!). So I made a deal on that also!
Now I have two new toys to play with, and maybe a new deer rifle for this fall if the Winnie shoots as good as it looks!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Great day at OAC gun show.

Post by TedH »

Good score! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wow!!!

Neat stuff!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

He left a few of the crumbs for me. :D I picked up a mint Lyman 422 Expert scope with the correct adjustable receiver mount and a pair of external adjustment mounts.

These are not as cool as that Ballard though. 8)

click on the thumbnails

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

OH - MY - WORD! Good on you both. Vall, that Highwall is the cat's ankles. Let's see; I have dies, components...
Last edited by airedaleman on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Any decent post-1900 '86s? How were :D they priced?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

No '86's, but tons of vintage military arms and handguns today. If you're a member of the Colt Collectors Assn. you have read the historian's, Lowell Pauli, article. He is one of our members and had 3 display cases of Woodsmen, Match Targets, Huntsmen and 1911's.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes there was one 1886, but it was a pre 1900 in .45-90 and asking price was $3750.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

dang it ,

you did it again!
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet :mrgreen: !!!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

I didn't get there until 10:30. Now I see where all the good stuff went. :(

Didn't buy a thing.

Bruce
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

There were a ton of 86's here in reno last weekend, mostly between $5-8000!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ya done good, real good.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have probably seen most of those very same 1886s at Reno in the past few years and observed very few that were actually fairly marked. Overpriced guns seldom sell and dealers drag the same ones around until they are plumb worn out from all the transport. All that changes is the price, which seems to escalate each time the gun is removed from it's case. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mental note. Must attend gun show with Vall. Be sure to walk in front of him... :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Mike D. wrote:I have probably seen most of those very same 1886s at Reno in the past few years and observed very few that were actually fairly marked. Overpriced guns seldom sell and dealers drag the same ones around until they are plumb worn out from all the transport. All that changes is the price, which seems to escalate each time the gun is removed from it's case. :)
When it comes to overpriced guns at Reno, the 1886 tops the list! I don't believe I've rarely seen a properly priced 1886 at Reno Hilton (Grand Sierra) gun show in probably 9-10 years! Unfortunately some of them do sell at crazy prices, and that's all it takes to encourage the others!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Vall, it's just that some folks have listened to what misleading information comes from some of these "dealers". They love to spout on about how "rare" these guns are, rare calibers, and all that silly nonsense. The survival rate of the 1886 is around 75% of the original 160,000 produced, and most are far from rare. With the exception of .38-70 and .40-70, there are many thousands of those guns available, so why are the prices so high? It's merely a selling ploy, and unfortunately there are many buyers who have not done their homework. These unsuspecting people reach for their wallets as soon as they are told some B.S. story that the seller tells them. I love to hear them backpeddle when you tell them more about the guns than they will ever know. Some will call you all kinds of liar, and others will just reply that "so and so told me this, so it has to be true". Basically, few will ever actually be interested enough in their guns to study a few basic facts about them. Some of these crooks have no business selling at gun shows. Reno is close enough to CA to be full of these ignorant types, too. CA gun, make that beef jerky and knife, shows seem to only be able to sell tables to these bonehead types. I can't stand 'em. Evidently, OR has a much better class of gunshow dealers.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great Finds, and they look awesome!!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

MikeD,
Gun dealers at the big beef jerky and jewelry "gun shos" are not much different here, and everywhere else. They espouse what makes their guns more attractive, and forget anything that might deter from inflating the prices of their wares.
Fortunately will do still have some quality small collectors gun shows, where people behind the tables love this hobby as much as those in front of the table, so it's not all about money. It's refreshing to see someone bring a gun into our show and get directed towards someone who can assist with whatever they want to know about their heirloom. Most the time I don't even hear the person behind the table ask if it's for sale.
I personally consider myself fortunate to belong to such a group where I can direct someone to a helpful guy and not have that person mad at me for doing so.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Case in point....

Sunday a guy brought in a bunch of single shots, for MM93 to appraise. He noticed that I was a "rimfire" guy and asked if he could bring those next month for me to look at.