Redfield peep sights for Win 71 / 1886 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Redfield peep sights for Win 71 / 1886 ?

Post by JFE »

I recently purchased an old Redfield peep sight on ebay and the seller wasnt sure whether it was meant for a 92 or 94 Win. When it arrived it looked to be in great condition - certainly as described and is much more robust and higher quality than the Lyman peep sights that I have. When I tried it out for fit on both a 92 and then a 94 (width wise these two actions are quite similar anyway) it looked like the sight was meant for an even wider receiver. I then tried it for fit on a 1886 and to me it looks like it was meant for the 71 / 1886 receiver size.

My question is, did Redfield make these sights to fit 71 / 1886 receivers ?

Joe
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Redfield peep sights for Win 71 / 1886 ?

Post by jdad »

Check the base for numbers and/or letters and I can tell you what it fits.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

There are no markings on the base that I can see.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

JFE wrote:My question is, did Redfield make these sights to fit 71 / 1886 receivers ?
Certainly. I have two of them - one on my 33 wcf and one on my Browning 1886 carbine. I prefer the Redfields over the Lyman and Williams. I have these two and also on my 39A (see my avatar). They do seem to be a bit more robust.

33 wcf:
Browning:
Chad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Chad, nice setups!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Redfields are very nice. I wish I could have bought them when I was young...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Thanks for the feedback. Mine looks just like the one on your Browning and will probably find a home on my Browning 71.

Joe
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have 1886s with both Lyman and Redfield receiver sights. The quality is very much the same on the vintage examples of both. The Lyman has been assigned a higher value, perhaps from collector recognition, but dollarwise, the Redfield is the better buy. The Redfield 70F, 80F, and 102F were available as options on the Model 86. The 70 & 80Fs could be had on the 71 Winchester.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have one on a Winchester 94 and I really like it.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Mike D. wrote:I have 1886s with both Lyman and Redfield receiver sights. The quality is very much the same on the vintage examples of both. The Lyman has been assigned a higher value, perhaps from collector recognition, but dollarwise, the Redfield is the better buy. The Redfield 70F, 80F, and 102F were available as options on the Model 86. The 70 & 80Fs could be had on the 71 Winchester.
Mike,
Where are the numbers on the Redfield sights? Do you have to remove the sight to see the model numbers?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

1. Redfield sights are maked with a letter or two on the back of the base or the bottom of the elevation arm that indicate which rifle the sight fits.

2. I have a Redfield on my 92 Winchester and it sticks out on the right side just like yours does, and yes it is the correct sight for the rifle.

3. Redfield did make sights for the Winchester 86 and 71, but it was different from the sight for the 92.

4, Over the years I had adapted a few receiver sights to rifles for which they were not designed. If it looks like it will work, it probbly will.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

This Redfield came with this '95, but it has no visible markings that I can see. An old beater .30-06, it stays in my PU or the ranch jeep, so seldom sees the indoors.Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Mike D. wrote:I have 1886s with both Lyman and Redfield receiver sights. The quality is very much the same on the vintage examples of both. The Lyman has been assigned a higher value, perhaps from collector recognition, but dollarwise, the Redfield is the better buy. The Redfield 70F, 80F, and 102F were available as options on the Model 86. The 70 & 80Fs could be had on the 71 Winchester.
Mike, I am refreshing an old post here to ask if you could shed some light on the difference in Redfield models you listed. I am interested in finding a one for my Browning Model 71 and need a quick education on Redfields. Thanks.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Get this book, given the price of these old sights the price of the book is worth it."Old Gunsights &Rifle Scopes" Nick Stroebel.Ideally you want a No.70 or 80 F, But an E will work on a 71, at least mine did.Redfields are NICE.