Winchester 94 style guide rails on Mossberg 464

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 style guide rails on Mossberg 464

Post by handyrandyrc »

Question for you folks -- is there some sort of work that can be done on the guide rails in order to help feeding? I've always had good success with feeding, even after switching to Ackley Improved. However, from time to time, I get a cartridge that digs into the sharp edges of the guide rails, and sticks in there, rather than popping the rim up through the rails and into the chamber.

I can tell the pieces of brass that got stuck this way, there are obvious gouges in the rim. Can the guide rails have their edges broken slightly, or do they need to remain sharp for proper function? My brain thinks as long as I don't change any geometry, smoother edges/corners seems better. However, I'm a lever rifle new guy, so I thought I'd ask the pros before I go and screw something up royally.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 94 style guide rails on Mossberg 464

Post by Griff »

None of the guide rails in my Winchesters are "sharp"... but neither are they rounded... smooth, yes... deburring would be helpful.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester 94 style guide rails on Mossberg 464

Post by handyrandyrc »

That's my thinking as well. I'll give the sharp corners/edges a run through with something fairly fine.