OT _ Gunleather Rewiew

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT _ Gunleather Rewiew

Post by Doc Hudson »

For the last 30+ years, I’ve carried a handgun on a regular if not daily basis. I’ve carried in nearly every conceivable manner and nearly every conceivable holster type. I’ve even made quite a few holsters myself, both of traditional types and a few of my own design. Where most gun cranks have a drawer full of holsters they’ve tried and discarded or no longer need, I have a couple of sizeable boxes full of assorted holsters. I know what works for me and I have a pretty fair idea of what will work for other folks.

The above is not to imply that I am any sort of leather expert merely that I’ve been around the block a few times and have some experience. I know good gunleather when I see it and when I use it.

The last few weeks, I’ve been using one of the most annoying holsters I’ve ever owned.

The really annoying thing about this holster is that I didn’t think of the design 20 years ago! Rob’s quality is fast becoming legendary in the gunleater field and deservedly so. I can not recommend Simply Rugged high enough. Rob’s products are simply without peer!

It is a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake Holster made for a 2” J-frame revolver.

The stitching is perfectly even and perfectly executed. The color is one of the loveliest shades of oxblood that I’ve ever seen, and the finish is without blemish.

Fit to the revolver is also perfect. The fit is snug enough that a retention strap is unnecessary, unless you decide to do a few back flips.

A certain sign of quality leather work is the condition of the leathers edges. This Silver Dollar Pancake Holsters edges are perfect. The cuts are smooth; the edges are smooth and properly sealed.

In m0re than 30 years of packing iron, I’ve rarely worn a snubby pocket revolver as a belt gun. In general I figured a belt holster added more bulk than necessary for such small revolvers and generally carried them in a pocket. Not so the Silver Dollar!
On a snuggly fit belt, the Silver Dollar pulls into the side and virtually disappears. Even with the revolver in the holster it is quite easy t, to forget that it is on your belt. Butt waggle is non-existent and comfort level can not be exceeded.

I have one and only one very minor criticism and it is simply a matter of taste and nothing more. When I sew leather, I almost always finish by using a mallet to flatten the stitching. This has not been done on my Silver Dollar Holster. As I say this is not actually a fault but a matter of taste. The raised stitching has not bothered me enough to make me to flatten the stitching myself.

Do yourself a favor, call Rob and order a Simply Rugged Holster http://www.simplyrugged.com.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT _ Gunleather Rewiew

Post by J Miller »

When I get moved to a state where I can carry a gun, I will be calling Rob. Until then I'll just read up who's doing what.

Oh, and Doc, we need pics of that new holster.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT _ Gunleather Rewiew

Post by DerekR »

I bought my first holster from Rob when he was still in Arizona. It is for a 3 inch S&W J-Frame. At that time I had him make me a belt and it is almost a "must-have" in my book. I recently had him make me a pancake for my short barreled Blackhawks. That holster actually makes even the big Rugers carry under a shirt.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.