Gun Safes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Gun Safes

Post by coydog »

Has anyone here ever changed the interior of there gun safe.I have two older ones and to get to the guns in the back i have to just about take all them out.My shelves are sagging anyway so i was thinking about changing them out.It looks like they used wafer board covered with carpet.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun Safes

Post by Tycer »

If you can stand to lose a couple of inches, line it with a couple of sheets of drywall and glue your liner to that. If you can get cover on all sides, it will give you a little fire protection. Or more protection if you already have some in there.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there coydog - Yep, it can be a good way to go. Most of that particle board has the structural integrity of a wet Hostess Twinkie. I've divided my safe in "storage side" and "use most of the time side". On the previous safe I incorporated a narrow shelf up the back with the barrel racks at about 30 inches off the floor. Stored some ammunition in these. Had a row of guns leaning back on it. Some better quality 1/2 inch plywood (about 7 to 9 plys) will accept glue and small nails/screws well. A central vertical divider extending higher than your highest barrel will support a horizontal, full width shelf. Short things like the M1 Carbine, a few '92 carbines, and most of the cutlasses I sit on blocks or ammo boxes to reach the barrel notches. I think those holster looking things you can hang on the door would be helpful. I just got another safe for the handguns. Easier that way. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

If you are going for relining the interior, look for aircraft material. It has to meet certain fire resistant standards by law. It is a little more expensive, but for no more than you will use, the cost difference isn't that bad.

Ed
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard! I built my own long gun rack for a small safe I have, my own pistol shelf and rack, and put pegboard on the door. The safe was originally rated to hold 28 guns total, but it ended up holding a lot more. All you need is a good jig saw and work up your own design based on what you need.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In my secondary "overflow" safe, which is a Liberty, I ripped out the interior, threw away all those stupid shelves, and built this. Its made out of simple oak (but you can use almost anything) and is fitted to just squeeze in the safe.

Common sense will tell a man to put your seldom used guns in the back. If you look, this is where I put my bolt guns :D ---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

I have a browning and a weatherby but neither are fire proof.I was thinking about doing one like sixgun did his and keeping shelves in the other.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Okay, Sixgun, what's the story on the Yo-yo? :D I didn't know there were any of them so valuable they needed to be kept in a safe. :lol:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:Okay, Sixgun, what's the story on the Yo-yo? :D I didn't know there were any of them so valuable they needed to be kept in a safe. :lol:
Ok, the yo-yo,
The story is a little strange. Two years ago, when my Dad died, I was in his house removing the firearms as he lived alone and I wanted them out of there. In his safe were the guns, some of his old coins, papers, etc.........., and this yo-yo. I have no idea why he had the yo-yo in there, but I figured that if he thought it was important enough to put the yo-yo in there, it must of had some kind of significance.

My Dad was my best buddy (and my son) and I guess its a weird way of honoring his thought processes. (if that makes any sense :D )-------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun,
Maybe I'm weird also, but that makes perfectly good sense to me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I agree, it makes perfect sense. Now, can you "walk the dog" with it? :D
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville