35 Rem for Elk??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lanyard Stretcher
Levergunner

35 Rem for Elk??

Post by Lanyard Stretcher »

Has anyone taken an elk with their 35 Rem? If so how did it work out? Loads? Experiences? :?:

Thanks,
Mike
Fire Mission!!!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 35 Rem for Elk??

Post by Tycer »

The 30-30 has taken countless elk.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

why not....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'd think that the Hornady LE ammo, especially fired from a 24" barrel to get the most out of it, would be big medicine on Elk. I just acquired an older Marlin 336A in .35 with a 24, & can't wait to see what the LE clocks........it's advertized at 2225fps. They had to have used a 24" test barrel, cause it doesn't come near that in my 20" RC. jd45
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

the 35 rem will kill anything the 338 wm will. the 35 is best under 200yards. the 338 gives you added range.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sure it will.Buffalo Bore has a hot number also.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I just started shooting the .35 Rem.
Been really pleased with the accuracy and
pleasant shooting characteristics of the round.
I can't wait to connect with something with it!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Jaguarundi wrote:Sure it will.Buffalo Bore has a hot number also.
Excellent suggestion if one does not hand load. If you do hand load, try the Speer 220gr flat point. H-4895 is probably the powder of choice. W/W cases will probably not hold enough H-4895 to maximize performance. Try Rem. cases. 2200f.p.s., adjusted to the muzzle, is entirely feasible in a newer, post 72, Marlin gun known to be in good repair. 1886.
Excellent article.http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/3 ... part2.html
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

A friend of mine in Montana, Jesse "Spike .358" Walton tells me that he has taken several elk with his Marlin M-336 in .35 Remington. But I don't know what load he used.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I know a 30-30 will kill a elk so a 35 should do just fine I wouldnt try and shoot them thru the shoulders with a standard jacketed bullet, neither round has the power to break both and breaking one dont work. I know nothing about the new LE bullets and would have to see some recovered bullets from deer to guess how they would do on elk. You couldnt go wrong with a good HCGC flat nose bullet there a good chance you could shoot thru both shoulders. danny
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A good friend spent the first 45 years of his life in Idaho, and he's killed a bunch of elk. His little house is even kind of tricky to walk around in -- mounted heads and antlers sticking out everywhere! :) He swears on his 7MM Magnum for cross-canyon-type shots, but most of his elk were taken in the sticks with a 336 in .35.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Paco wrote an article on it:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/35remington.htm

Although I'm sure it's happened, I've never heard of a 35 Remington NOT cleanly killing whatever animal you choose to shoot with it. There's just something magical about it! That's why I bought one!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I brought my 336 in .35 Rem. on an elk hunt as a backup. The scope mount came loose on my 7MM Mag, used the 35. Long story short....dropped a 3 point..one shot. Factory Rem. 200 gr. Core Loct.
Happy Trails!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Lanyard Stretcher wrote:Has anyone taken an elk with their 35 Rem? If so how did it work out? Loads? Experiences?
Yep. Worked out good. 4 with the 35 if I remember right. Always used the RCBS-35-200 which weighs 214grs ready to shoot and 37.5grs of H322 for 1912fps. One shot apiece, never recovered a bullet. Longest shot maybe 150 yards, most closer than 75.

Oh yeah, this was all with a T/C in .35 Rem with a 12" barrel on big ol' Roosevelt elk :mrgreen:

Dinner tonight was elk backstrap and tenderloin, mashed potatoes and elk gravy, green beans from last years garden and a big ol' butt-cut of homemade bread and butter. Killed with my 38-55 last season and a cast bullet.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Lanyard Stretcher
Levergunner

Post by Lanyard Stretcher »

Thank you all. When funds come through a 35 Rem is on the to do list. :)

Mike
Fire Mission!!!!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nobody mentioned it but the Contender PISTOL shooters used to think the .35 Rem was the bees' knees for elk, from the 14" barrel!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I believe that is what Elliot S. Barker used for his entire adult life in New Mexico. He liked it so much that when he finally wore the barrel out on one he replaced it with another. Do a web search on him, he knew his stuff and was quite a hunter.

Dave
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Hobie wrote:Nobody mentioned it but the Contender PISTOL shooters used to think the .35 Rem was the bees' knees for elk, from the 14" barrel!
Dang, this was like talking to my wife and when I get done, she says 'huh'?
2X22 wrote:Yep. Worked out good. 4 with the 35 if I remember right. Always used the RCBS-35-200 which weighs 214grs ready to shoot and 37.5grs of H322 for 1912fps. One shot apiece, never recovered a bullet. Longest shot maybe 150 yards, most closer than 75.

Oh yeah, this was all with a T/C in .35 Rem with a 12" barrel on big ol' Roosevelt elk :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should mention, this one WAS a 14" cut back to just a hair under 12" for convenience.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson