1895 marlin-- magnaport vs. non-magnaport

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

1895 marlin-- magnaport vs. non-magnaport

Post by Streetstar »

Right when i am in the midst of an all out winny 1895 scavenger hunt-- a gent i spoke with 3 weeks ago can still do a deal on a guide gun i sort of want ----- This one is ported -- i can dig a little bit of recoil reduction, but my question is is it really worth it? Marlin quit making the ported guns for some reason. I hate sharp recoil, but a "push" recoil is tolerable. however , a sharp muzzle brake crack is the tradeoff usually

Just wanted some input ------ this deal wont sidetrack the real 1895 hunt too much, but anytime one comes up off the books. i have to look hard at it :shock:

Does the extra noise offset the recoil reduction? i guess they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder--- i'll post pics if i come home with it tomorrow whatever the case
----- Doug
Hillbillygunsmith
Levergunner

Re: 1895 marlin-- magnaport vs. non-magnaport

Post by Hillbillygunsmith »

Doug;

I will not purchase any firearm that has a muzzle brake or been magaported due to the excessive ear ringing blast you get every time you pull the trigger. yes! at the range you can wear ear muffs, but do you want to wear them when hunting.

They are so excessive loud that every time you touch one round off, without hearing protection, you will loose a small amount of hearing. This adds up over the years. My son made the mistake of buying a ported guide gun, and he hated it when his ears would ring for several minutes after each shot while hunting. On hearing from his doctor, he traded it off and stated he would never buy another one again that is ported.

I have installed about 12 muzzle brakes on mag rifles for customers when I used to do gunsmithing. I tried to talk every one of them out of it. I have used about every major brand of brake that claimed it was the quietest of them all. B.S. still too loud and several of those customers came back and had me remove the muzzle break and recut and crown their rifle barrel.

I suggest you try firing it first if possible to see if you want it or want to pass on it. The hotter your load, the louder it will be. :o
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i had a ported .44 magnum handgun. got rid of it when i shot it in the field on game. TOO LOUD for me. :oops:
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

The recoil reduction is not worth the noise to me. If it will be used exclusively for controled target use where plugs and muffs or some other good hearring protection will always be used it may be worth it.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Bang
Levergunner

Post by Bang »

no.. no no no... not if you hunt with other people and respect their hearing.

I generally always hunt with people on my right wearing a right earplug.

Ruined a perfectly good Model 70 in .300win mag - no one would let em use it near them as they didn't hunt with hearing protection.

Spend the extra on a limb saver and a heavier barrel.
I wish to die like my grandmother - peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in her car !

Is there a 21st Century lever action?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have never fired one myself but have shot next to people with ported guns and it is no fun, even with ear muffs :!: :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have never shot my ported guide gun without hearing protectors, and would not do so except in case of home defense (I'd pick another gun first for that anyway), so I've not noticed the difference. For hunting, I use the Howard Leight electronic muffs, so I not only have hearing protection, but can actually hear BETTER with the amplification, plus they keep my ears warm! I can't say I notice any difference in recoil between the ported one and others I've fired, though, so I'm not sure it's worth it; I just got a ported one because it was $125 cheaper than the non-ported one (both were used). If the holes bothered me, I'd probably either shorten the barrel or tap them all and insert set screws coated in JBWeld or epoxy, then ream out the last couple inches of barrel. Since I wear hearing protectors, it's not worth the bother.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

No ported guns for me. They are too loud. If recoil is a concern then a PAST recoil shield will do wonders.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Two men in my annual Maine-trip hunting party, one forty-something and the other almost seventy, both MUST hunt with electronic earmuffs on their heads (even in snowstorms) to hear game (or much else), because shooting has deteriorated their hearing.

The muffs amplify all sounds, for conversation and listening for game - but automatically shut off when any noise exceeding the preset decibel limit (like a gunshot) occurs.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I shot at a coyote during season with the 444 (without porting) and my left ear rang for 2 days. It took 4 shots but I got it . So I think I'm going to purchase an electronic ear protector for my left ear that cuts sound out at a certain decibel. They are under $50 .
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

No ports for me Thank You!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I got it anyway -- price plus condition made it too good to pass up . Came with a modest supply of cartridges and brass (roughly a hundred bucks worth) to sweeten the deal. Rifle is literally in new condition and better than i expected .

Everybody recalls the old fable about the brand new Model 29 .44 Magnum for sale along with a box of ammo with only one round missing --- well this one kind of reminded me of that.

I have a small berm built and keep empty budweiser 20 pack boxes full of sand (they hold 50 lbs apiece) to serve as bullet traps for .22 shooting --- i couldnt resist -- yep - sand all over the place. The noise was not too objectionable with factory loads, but i will reserve judgement until i get some hotter handloads through there that are more fitting for the rifle's capabilities. As well, noise in the woods will be worse than in my cow pasture
I almost didnt buy the thing because of all you guys' warnings, but condition and price won out. If i can't deal with the blast, i will have my local 'smith cut it to 16" and re-fit the front sight --- i've seen new one's floating around on gunbroker in that configuration and they look awesome (although they are stainless with green laminate)

----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The recoil reduction really worked on the one I shot. Hot 444s felt like a 243. The noise was ok with earmuffs on. Never shot it without.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I have a .450 with the ports. If those ports cut down on recoil any, I don't want to shoot it without ports!
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bang
Levergunner

Post by Bang »

regardless - congrats on the new rifle ! Hurry up and shoot something large and endangered - and i dont mean parking meter cops.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have factory ported Marlin's in 357 MAG , 44 MAG , 35 REM , 444 , 450 and 45-70 !

I also have all those cartridges in Marlin's that are unported !

45-70 recoil is not that bad to begin with ! However I don't think the noise from the ported rifles is so bad either ! If you like it buy it !

I shot skeet and trap for years with ported shotguns ! Always wore ear plugs then , but when hunting with my rifles I do not !

Heck I've even had a ported Contender and a 460 S&W MAG that was ported .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Marlin 94P / .44 mag with 16" barrel that's ported. I really didn't notice a difference between that and a 94S / 45 Colt and 16" barrel.

Sounds like a good deal on a nice gun to me.

If you want muzzle blast try a Soviet SVT-40. Now that's a muzzle break that will really P-off the guy sitting next to you! :D
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bang
Levergunner

Post by Bang »

2ndovc wrote: Sounds like a good deal on a nice gun to me.

If you want muzzle blast try a Soviet SVT-40. Now that's a muzzle break that will really P-off the guy sitting next to you! :D
hmm I like the 1895 musket - mine was stripped. I may have to ask for some pictures from you (of what i need to replace)
Polish Nagant carbine break - its ugly to the ears :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These are what I use...

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0044358228573a.shtml

...whether I'm shooting 'ported' or 'normal' guns - the only exception will be that sometimes I'll shoot a .22LR from a rifle without them. Inconvenience, maybe - but I can still listen to classical music and make out the faint nuances, and I can still hear birds, frogs, and the passionate noises a woman makes (unfortunately, that high-pitched whining noise they sometimes also make comes through as well... :wink: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hunter4570
Levergunner

Post by Hunter4570 »

Hi,

Here is my friend Christian from Marseille, south of France, his Marlin 95 is a blued one that was polished and sandblasted by french gunsmith near Paris. The caliber is 45-70 and the muzzle brake is really effective. Shooting 405grs Hawks bullets at 1800fps the recoil is like a factory 300grs but the noise is painful when shooting on range, cliffs or trees even with earing protections. The Marlin wear XS sights and scout rail for a Burris scout scope or an red dot sight depending on the hunting conditions. With that rifle Christian took 8 boars and one roe with 9 shots this season in driven hunts. Not a single went more than 5 meters

Dom