YEAH! Found MY straight stocked Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

YEAH! Found MY straight stocked Marlin

Post by Goat »

I just won an auction for a used straight stocked Marlin 336 with the square lever. Nothing in the photo says "Texan" nor does it say 336T on the bbl. It is a pre safety gun with the 20" bbl in 30/30. When it arrives I will be sending it off to have it re-bored to 38/55. I will likely use the guy from the Marlinowners site,JES Re-boring. If anyone has another gunsmith I should consider please speak up!
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Hobie

Re: YEAH! Found MY straight stocked Marlin

Post by Hobie »

Doesn't have to say "T" to be one. Mine is just like that one. Jesse Ocumpaugh has a fine reputation. I recommend that you get the .375 bore not the .378-.381 that the factories do. It sure is easier to get, make, find bullets for the newer bore standard. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Thanks Hobie, I plan to do just as you suggested and have it bored .375. I'll probably try some of the Hornady 220gr. bullets first then venture in on cast bullets. I will likely try some of the bullets by the guy that goes by "Stonefence"on the MarlinOwners site as well.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Congrats Goat!
I picked up a 1969 Texan in 30-30. It has got to be one of the most accurate leverguns I own. You may not want to shoot it first, cause if it is as accurate as mine I'm afraid you would have a very hard time messing with it :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Goat wrote:Thanks Hobie, I plan to do just as you suggested and have it bored .375. I'll probably try some of the Hornady 220gr. bullets first then venture in on cast bullets. I will likely try some of the bullets by the guy that goes by "Stonefence"on the MarlinOwners site as well.
Goat
Skip the Hornady 220s, in .38-55 brass they don't chamber unless seated deep or used in .30-30 cases blown out. Get Dave's bullets, they're great bullets at a reasonable price. I think they are better than Barnes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hobie wrote:
Goat wrote:Thanks Hobie, I plan to do just as you suggested and have it bored .375. I'll probably try some of the Hornady 220gr. bullets first then venture in on cast bullets. I will likely try some of the bullets by the guy that goes by "Stonefence"on the MarlinOwners site as well.
Goat
Skip the Hornady 220s, in .38-55 brass they don't chamber unless seated deep or used in .30-30 cases blown out. Get Dave's bullets, they're great bullets at a reasonable price. I think they are better than Barnes.
Hobie, Will they, the 220s, chamber when seated in the Starline brass? I am assuming you are referring to the W/W brass. Thanks, 1886.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Goat, Congrats. by the way! 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

1886 wrote:
Hobie wrote:
Goat
Hobie, Will they, the 220s, chamber when seated in the Starline brass? I am assuming you are referring to the W/W brass. Thanks, 1886.
My chamber is a correct .38-55 chamber but with a .375 bore. With the bullet seated to crimp on the cannelure in either the long or short .38-55 brass the bullet sticks too far into the lead and the cartridge will not chamber. One can finagle with the blown out .30-30 cases (shorter yet) and maybe the .375 Win cases to use the 220s. However, the reason for the 220s is a max effort load. Since I can use 255 gr. bullets at 2000 fps from my Contender, why would I bother with the 220s. Yes, I shot some. That's why when I gave the remainder away (to somebody on this forum) only a little more than one-half the box was left. I didn't think the accuracy was up there either.

BTW, Dave Deering's bullets are the best, especially for the price, .38-55 bullets I've seen. Click on his logo...

Sincerely,

Hobie

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I ask because problems usually arise in the .38-55 with the .378-9" groove diameter while trying to use the W/W .38-55 brass. The Marlin CB is a good example, proper chamber and groove dimensions but the W/W brass features case necks that are too thick. Starline brass utilizes correct dimensions. Do not want to take this too far off topic. Thanks, 1886.