OT How to: How I make paper cartridges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

OT How to: How I make paper cartridges

Post by coyote nose »

I get quite a few questions at the range on this, figured maybe you guys would be interested in one way to make paper cartridges for cap and ball revolvers. First a preview:
The gun is a 3rd gen Colt 1851. I just love this gun and the wood is absolutely outstanding. Thats the way it came from the factory too! To the left of the case is pyrodex, a wood block, paper printed with the label I use to wrap, and the round balls. On the lid of the case is the cigarette papers I use, the wood form to roll the papers with, completed cartridges, and a filled cartridge box. You must make the form by turning a 1/2" dowel on a lathe or drill press. I put a 7 degree taper on mine.
First lick the gum on the paper and roll it around the form. I cut the tail to about 1/4" long with scissors then lick the tail and fold it back onto the form. Slide it off the form to dry. A note on paper. Tops brand is too thick, I get too many misfires or hangfires with it. Zigzag seesm to work the best for me...it is real thin.
This picture shows the paper rolled on the form
After the paper tubes are dry (only a few minutes) I charge them up using the flask...mine throws the equavelent of 18 grains blackpowder, but I use pyrodex P. Then drop a ball in each, twist the top..the tighter you twist it the sturdier the cartridge becomes, but dont overtwist or it will rip. Experiment a little. Then using cotton or linen thread (not nylon!) tie the ends off.
A note on tying, if the cartridges are not for shooting but for display, I tie them the way old ones were: 1 loop under the ball, then take the thread up over the ball and tie off the twist. This bottom loop under the ball stops powder from migrating up over the ball. It is time consuming and I found it is not necessary if I twist the top tight to push the ball in, as the taper of the tube causes the ball to seal the powder off tightly. Still, if they are to be handled as when showing people it is best to put that loop under the ball. The picture shows 3 tubes with powder only, 3 with ball seated, 3 with the top twisted, and 3 with the thread tie on top. The loose ends and the excess paper above the twist will be trimmed off with scissors.

You can take these out in a plastic ziplock bag or any other container, but after several years of this I wanted something more historical, so I printed up a label and with the computer printed them out on colored paper. I made wood blocks with 6 holes in them (blind holes, block dimension is 1/2" + X 1 1/2" X 3") Wood is basswood. Glued a strong thread on one end to help in ripping the paper wrapping open, cut out the labels and form them over the wood. Glue only the paper to itself, not to the wood since every time you use a pack you simply glue a new paper wrap on.
Here are completed cartridges, paper wraps, completed cartridge packs, and the wooden holding blocks:

In use I rip open the pack clear across the top which allows me to dump out the cartridges, then either load them normally, paper and all, or rip open the back end and dribble a little powder in first then seat everything normally. If i dont rip the back end then before capping I use a long wire or pick and pierce the paper from the nipple. Doing one of these 2 I have never had a misfire or hangfire using thin Zigzag paper. If I dont do this I never had a misfire but have had a small amount of hangfires so BE CAREFUL. using other thicker papers I have had both misfires and hangfires. I have both greased over the cartridges and also fired them w/o grease. Normally I use wonder wads but they dont lend themselves to these type of cartridges so I recommend grease over the top. Very rarely is paper left in the cylinder after firing. I mean rarely...I cant remember the last time it happened but you should check anyway to make sure nothing smoldering is left in there.
Also, when the ring of lead is shaved off when seating, often the very top of the paper comes off with it...no big deal as it does not seem to affect anything.
I mainly use these in the winter when my fingers are frozen and I dont feel like messing with powder flasks, loose balls, etc.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT How to: How I make paper cartridges

Post by Wind »

Hey there Coyote Nose - Really nice presentation. It's cool to see you go the extra mile and print up the wrappers too. Almost makes me want to go dig out the original Remington and crank off a few!! Watch yer top knot. Wind.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats fantastic, thankyou for sharing. Very neat :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nath +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very, very cool! 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

That is GREAT. Thanks for sharing.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

BlaineG wrote:Very, very cool! 8)
+1 :D :D :D
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is cool. I may have to try that with my 58's. Have you used a heavier powder charge the 18gr with this set up?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:That is cool. I may have to try that with my 58's. Have you used a heavier powder charge the 18gr with this set up?
I have. I made some of these for my Walker reproduction many years ago. I read an article in an old "American Rifleman" that my dad had - think it was from the early 60's - and used to make these all the time when I was in college. Of course the gas station attendants never believed me when I told them why I was buying the rolling paper.

Coyote Nose - this is a fantastic post! Thanks for sharing. You wouldn't have that label design on a Word file, would you? If so, would you mind me flagarantly copying it? Could you e-mail it to me? :D
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice presentation 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice job! you could start a part time business doing that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a great "How To", you have covered each step so clearly I think I'll try to make some for my '51 .36, should be fun to do. Thanks for the time to put this together.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Jreed, your 58 Rem is 44 caliber, so you'd have to make a different taper form to hold more powder and the bigger ball. I use 18 because that is the charge I usually shoot in my navy. The taper kind of determines how deep the ball will seat in the paper, which in turn determines how much powder it can hold. I had to experiment a little with some wood forms before I stumbled onto the correct length/diameter. Ysabel, I think I used notepad to print these up on an 8X10 piece of paper, then scanned that paper, then using my HP printer program found an album size to make the correct size prints. Really a backward way to do it, but I am TERRIBLE with computers (I cant even get my avatar to take...it is too big and I have no idea how to make it smaller) and that is the only way i was able to print the forms. A computer literate person would probably laugh at me. I got the wording from looking at old cartridge packs (gunbroker or auction arms under Colt cartridges).
I also should add this about the loading procedure, you never want an airspace in the chambers when shooting black or pyrodex (or 777), so seat the ball firmly with the loading lever...it will rupture the paper and remove all airspace when you do this.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Very neat step by step presentation. Thanks for sharing!
Is there enough room in rolling paper to make the 44s? Has anyone given this a try yet?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

VERY WELL DONE Thanks so much for an excellent post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Wow, good work!! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

mklwhite wrote:Very neat step by step presentation. Thanks for sharing!
Is there enough room in rolling paper to make the 44s? Has anyone given this a try yet?

Yes. I used the 1.5's years ago and had enough room to make 50-grain paper cartridges for my Walker reproduction. :D
Newtire
Levergunner

Post by Newtire »

Don't think the "smoke shop" people bought my story about the paper cartridge making. They sure have a bigger assortment of papers than they did "back in the day."

Thanks for taking the time to write up the post!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

This is one of those instructive and timeless old threads that ought to be dredged up once in a while! A very good read every time! 8)

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Very nice. Especially the cartridge boxes.

I have a series of pictures of another method from another guy - IIRC the whole post was in French - but the pics are self explanatory. I'll post my own thread so as not to step on yours.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta wrote:This is one of those instructive and timeless old threads that ought to be dredged up once in a while! A very good read every time! 8)

Shasta
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!