OT - Poachers fined nearly $14,000.00

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT - Poachers fined nearly $14,000.00

Post by Doc Hudson »

I got this in an e-mail.

Talk about dumb-arsed!!!

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 9902200313
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT _ Poachers fined nearly $14,00.00

Post by Charles »

Many years ago, when I was a kid lawyer and prosecutor in West Texas, we had a fellow in our country who was a chronic scoff law when it came to killing quail. Every few year he was arrested and he just paid the fine and went on his way. He never hired a lawyer, and just considered the occasional fine the cost of his poaching activities.

One year I got a got full of the guy and when he was arrested filed a motion with the court (JP) that I was going to seek the death penalty. I had the Sheriffs office serve a copy of the motion on the guy. Needless to say he came unhinged and went to Lubbock and hired some high dollar lawyer in a three piece suit who came boiling down to our country with fist full of his own motions. Of course killing quail was not a capital crime in Texas and the JP court did not have capital jurisdiction anyway. But it did cause this guy a couple of nights loss of sleep, plus he paid some major bucks to his fancy lawyer.

We all had a good laugh about it, and the fellow became an object of laughter and scorn around the country. I heard he made some threats toward me, but he never showed his face to me again. I also heard tell, a couple of deputies gave him a few raps with their billly clubs for making the threats. I don't know if that was fact or what, and I wasn't interested in checking it out.

I dispise poachers, child molestors and other low life's. Now, I do understand hard times and the need to eat. I have no quarrel with that fellow. I can't stand the folks who kill game in an illegal manner just for the fun of it.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nuckleheads
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If'n you're gonna hunt in town, on park land... get permission first.

I did... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

They got off easy. Many years back there were a pair of brothers in the county who were infamous for trespassing and every kind of poaching you can think of. When finally caught dead to rights, their two fairly new pickups, a boat and motor, and several firearms were confiscated, and they got fines of $8000 each. No jail time, but several years of closely-supervised probation. They were held up to such universal public ridicule that they eventually left the county and moved who-knows-where.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I agree that poachers are CENSORED who deserve a swift kick in the DELETED, but what is the basis for the very large fine?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Charles wrote:I dispise poachers, child molestors and other low life's. Now, I do understand hard times and the need to eat. I have no quarrel with that fellow. I can't stand the folks who kill game in an illegal manner just for the fun of it.
+1 Charles - spot on.

These guys got off easy. What they have done is turn another several thousand or tens of thousands of people against gun owners and hunters. :evil:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I hate poachers. I think they got off too easy. They need to spend about an hour behind the woodshed with some real hunters. :evil:
NRA Life Member
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I am with you guys, so dont take this the wrong way...but here in Ohio (and I know elsewhere) most game laws are designed to get the state money and NOT for the welfare of the animal population.
Having said that those 2 have got to be real boneheads to publicize their poaching online and at a Bass Pro Shop!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Most criminals are not known for their high IQs. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I dispise poachers, child molestors and other low life's. Now, I do understand hard times and the need to eat. I have no quarrel with that fellow. I can't stand the folks who kill game in an illegal manner just for the fun of it.
Ditto, I would never say anything about someone needing the food, to put one in the freezer, but horn poachers really tick me off!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Serves them right the miserable thieving S O B's.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

JReed wrote:Serves them right the miserable thieving S O B's.
Yep. It's hard for me to understand getting excited about a big deer let alone poaching one like that.

Let me know if that "behind the woodshed" idea goes into play.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If we start taking the poachers behind the woodshed, can I bring my old army sock with a bar of soap in it?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

piller wrote:If we start taking the poachers behind the woodshed, can I bring my old army sock with a bar of soap in it?
Sand would be more appropriate.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Otto wrote:I agree that poachers are CENSORED who deserve a swift kick in the DELETED, but what is the basis for the very large fine?
"The restitution fee levied in the Side Cut case was enabled by a state law passed last March that allows the state wildlife division to seek an increased recovery value on illegally taken wildlife. Trophy bucks are valued according to a formula based on antler size, and they can demand high restitution because their antlers command such high market prices by antler seekers.

The previous restitution record - $12,988 - was levied against two Ross County poachers in November."
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Poachers fined nearly $14,000.00

Post by TedH »

The authorities should have seized the vehicle that was used as well.
NRA Life Member
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Hobie wrote:
Otto wrote:I agree that poachers are CENSORED who deserve a swift kick in the DELETED, but what is the basis for the very large fine?
"The restitution fee levied in the Side Cut case was enabled by a state law passed last March that allows the state wildlife division to seek an increased recovery value on illegally taken wildlife. Trophy bucks are valued according to a formula based on antler size, and they can demand high restitution because their antlers command such high market prices by antler seekers.

The previous restitution record - $12,988 - was levied against two Ross County poachers in November."
Reading is fundamental. Thanks, Hobie.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's easy to serve on the jury :wink: Let's see how many star citizens we have when the new gun laws come out :P :mrgreen: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Years back one of the local high school's assistent basketball coaches was cited for a game violation and it made the local paper. Within a couple of weeks of the citation/article, the two local high schools played their annual cross town rivalry game. The opposition fans all showed up in Blaze Orange. Talk about a pulblic flogging.