OT- Um, Unique?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Um, Unique?

Post by Andrew »

Well for being a well known and supposedly well used powder, it sure is hard finding data. :? All I can find is what's on Alliant's website which is just but one recipe, for the bullet weight I'm using, that is rated at about 200pfs faster than I would like to stat with. The one manual I have is loaned out right now and I am not sure if there are any Unique loads even in it. So the question is, are there any good spots to find Unique loads for .45lc? I can't find 'em. Ignorance is such a bother some times. :roll:

I guess I could tell you what I'm aiming for: 200gr. LRN @ 750~850fps
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Um, Unique?

Post by Old Time Hunter »

8.5 - 9.0 grains of Unique..........course I claim the disclaimer.

Alliant's Reloader Guide 2005 edition shows 7.5 grains @ 786 fps and 9.0 @ 927 fps.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Lyman's 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook. Has loads for both Colt Peacemaker types and T/C Contender and Ruger BH loads. If yer lookin. for sumpthin specific let me know. Didnt read very good. Shows nothng for 200gr at 800fps. Does show 250gr using 6.0gr for 595fps up to 9.0grs for 875fps and interestingly show 45 Auto/AR 200 gr bullet using 5.0 grs to 6.8grs for 610fps and 845fps
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

8gr should do it. But why may I ask are you chosing to use a 200gr? the .45colt begs to shoot 250grn pills it is what it was made for.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Jeremy got it, 8gr should do it.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Cool, thanks guys. I will be bookmarking that Handloads.org for sure.

I got a deal on some 200's awhile back so I partook of the opportunity. Plus I bought a 200gr Lee mold to cast with. I don't need anything heavier really at the moment cause the paper plate cant' tell the difference. It'll be good practice for both shooting and loading is the way I look at it. Eventually I will get a 255 and a 300gr mold for hunting bullets.
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hodgdon's manual is a great place to start. They carry data for all the major powders and a wide variety of Unique loads. I love Unique!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

If you are going to shoot a 200-grain pill, I recommend "Trail Boss" or "Tite-Group". You'll like these powders as well. I find the 200-grainer with light CAS loads is a great way to introduce people to the .45 Colt. Better that they enjoy their shooting experience and gain confidence before moving them up to what the round is capable of doing!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:If you are going to shoot a 200-grain pill, I recommend "Trail Boss" or "Tite-Group". You'll like these powders as well. I find the 200-grainer with light CAS loads is a great way to introduce people to the .45 Colt. Better that they enjoy their shooting experience and gain confidence before moving them up to what the round is capable of doing!
+1 on the Tite Group! I use it on .44 SPL/MAG loads for my daughter for an 1894 Marlin that she will be using for deer hunting using 240 LRNFP and 9 grains of Tite-group. At 100 yrds, it produced a 5 shot group of less than 3" with 3 of the bullets nicely cloverleafed in the center. She can barely feel the recoil and it is pretty decent for deer at short ranges. Velocity is running about 1400-1500 fps.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Check out the Alliant Site and look under Cowboy Loads.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don't mean to be a smart butt, but if you can't find data for Unique you're not looking hard enough.
Every reloading book has it.
It's been around for over 100 years.
Just for the record 8.0grs of it will work with darn near every bullet you can think of in the .45 Colt.

Sorry, I got carried away. Unique was the first powder I used to load handgun cartridges with, and I'm just a bit prejudiced towards it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Andrew nothing wrong with a good deal on bullets. Just to chime in on what others have said Tite Group is a great powder for what you are trying to do. 6.2gr pushes a 250RNFP out of my trapper at 980fps and that is a max load. Tite group is a fast powder that is made for pistols burns nice and clean.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Joe, you are probably right but the only manual I have is loaned out at the moment and I was lookin' purely on-line. I need to get a One book/One caliber book for .45 and be done with it.

I will look into using Titegroup. You guys say good things and it looks like it does well in the 12ga as well. Double duty if I ever get around to buying shot. :?
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Andrew,

I'm a bit jaded when it comes to loading books. The data may be in these one caliber books, but you miss so much when buying them.
I've got to admit I am a collector of loading manuals too, but it never hurts to get manuals from several sources to cross reference.

I've got Unique data all the way back to 1937 and it's really informative to read the information surrounding the actual data.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Andrew wrote:Cool, thanks guys. I will be bookmarking that Handloads.org for sure.

I got a deal on some 200's awhile back so I partook of the opportunity. Plus I bought a 200gr Lee mold to cast with. I don't need anything heavier really at the moment cause the paper plate cant' tell the difference. It'll be good practice for both shooting and loading is the way I look at it. Eventually I will get a 255 and a 300gr mold for hunting bullets.
If you shoot 45 ACP, use the 200 grainers for that - works great in the ACP! I'm thinking you have roundnose flat points?

Here's a pic of my Sig p-220 (police trade in that I got from SOG IIRC) with loads using the 200 grain rnfp laser cast bullets that I had left over from cas - they really do well in it.

And I'll add another +1 to the 8 grains of Unique. Should be right where you're lookin fer.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Well I was getting ready to load to day when I hit a snag. I found a Red Diamond sweet tea jug filled with corn cobb(3.5lbs) at a local gun show today. The rest of the show was stuff; it was the same dealers at the same tables with what looked like the same guns as last year when I went. If you were lookin' for .45acp brass you were in luck, if you were lookin' for .45lc brass you were wasting your time. Anyhoo, got home and fired up the tumbler for about an hour to produce some nice clean brass and a very happy Andy who then had to dig out 100 peices by hand cause he hasn't get a bingo cage yet. Unhappy Andy came along when he found out that Lee Auto Primes take a specific shell holder and the perfectly good one on his press doesn't work. So close, yet so far. Oh well, next weekend will be another chance.
ImageImage
The Boring Blog