OT - groove diameter for .45's and .50's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - groove diameter for .45's and .50's

Post by AJMD429 »

Anyone know the groove diameter of a modern .50 and .45 cal muzzleloader?

I would like to try sabot loads in a cartridge gun, but am torn between a .500 S&W (which I'd have to buy) and a .45-70 (which I have) and a .460 S&W (which I'd have to buy). I want to use sabots of a reasonable diameter vs. the actual barrel I'll be shooting them in. I have the sabots, but not the barrel (for an Encore), unless the .45-70 barrel and case will be suitable.

Anyone shoot saboted loads out of cartridge guns, other than the .30-06 accelerator (>4,000 FPS... :shock: )...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - groove diameter for .45's and .50's

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429,

Here is a thread where the author pushed a saboted bullet from a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt at 1700 fps. I was going to try it, but never got around to it.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=4557

I know it not the calibers you mentioned, but it's more or less on topic.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - groove diameter for .45's and .50's

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks. I haven't gotten around to slugging any muzzleloader barrels yet (and I don't currently have a "45" muzzleloader), but I'll bet I won't get any "45" sabots to crimp as well in a .45-70 as a .460 S&W, which I don't have. There's always the 500 S&W, though...and it's legal for deer in Indiana, too! (Can you say 'over-powered'? :o ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "