Marlin 1995 problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 1995 problem

Post by phc45-70 »

I occasionally have a problem with my 45-70 cowboy when cycling rounds through it. The round will come all the way out the tube when the lever is pushed forward but the lever will not pull back even a little bit. I can't see if the round is hanging on anything and I never have the problem just working the lever on an empty gun. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what is the fix?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1995 problem

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Check your loaded round overall length. Sounds like your loads may be a tad long. :D
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Also check to make sure that the small screw that holds the spring end of the loading gate is tight- sometimes this screw backs out, and the spring jams the lifter. It seems likely that if this were the cause, it would jam unloaded, too, though.
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Check your loaded round overall length. Sounds like your loads may be a tad long. :D
Shortem a little, and your problem will disappear.

We had the same problem.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Call Marlin they have a new follower for these, one is red the other is a different shade, kinda yellowish, one with a dimple is for the NEW pointed tiped boolets, they will send ya one free, dont kno why they didnt jus put em in...
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

They do put the new followers in new guns.
I'd check the gate screw. Mine will load rounds it can't eject unfired. I think you'd need to be way over max to jam the carrier down.
Another thing that might be ha[ppening is the lifter dropping far enough to let the rim of the next one in just enough to keep it stuck down. Its pretty rare but not unheard of.
How do you clear the jam?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Woodtroll wrote:Also check to make sure that the small screw that holds the spring end of the loading gate is tight- sometimes this screw backs out, and the spring jams the lifter. It seems likely that if this were the cause, it would jam unloaded, too, though.
Amen to this. Caused a jam at the range with my Marlin 336 30-30AI the other day. Dang loading gate was all loose... once I got the thing unstuck and tightened the screw, the problem disapeared. Viola'
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Never had a "Marlin 1995" but my "1895" feeds ok so far - maybe it is the new technology or something... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Still having problems with ftf

Post by phc45-70 »

With a cast bullet - RCBS 45-405-FN and an COAL of 2.50" I am still having failure to feed problems about 1 in 10 rounds. The lever locks up in the fully forward position. Sometimes the round only comes half way out of the mag. tube and sometimes it cames all the way out but the lever will not move at all until I turn the gun over and shake the round out or pull the stuck round out with something.
Time and again I have taken the gun apart to try to understand the problem, to no avail and I have loaded it and cycled ammo through it time after time and still can't see what the problem is. I haven't bought any factory ammo in years but may have to, to see if it is my ammo or not. I have removed the decapping pin an run the loaded rounds through the sizing die again to make sure there are no bumps on the case that could cause the problem.
Wish I could find an automation like the one for 1911s at the top of the page on the link below:

http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Still having problems with ftf

Post by Wind »

Hey there phc45-70 -- What kinda rifle are we talking about here? It is amazing the amount of crud that gets in magazine tubes and causes various forms of feeding grief. Have you looked/cleaned there? Does the problen usually occur on the first few rounds out of the magazine or the last few? Do you have any lever extension freeze ups with no rounds in the magazine? Depending on the make of the rifle there may a few other suggestions. Watch yer top knot. Wind
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

phc45-70,

My 1894 Cowboy had a jam "like" what you described once. Loaded and in the range. I had to tear it down to clear it. After that it didn't do it again.
What I think happened is the carrier rocker got out of whack because I short stroked the lever.

Now, somewhere back in time I read that if the carrier rocker wears or gets loose it will cause jams.
I'm not a Marlin X-spurt, but if you haven't checked that, it's something to look at.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A full and deliberate "rack" will help. No short rack. Also, a good lube with WD40 will keep it slicked up pretty good (if you blow it out and let it dry there will be no harm whatsoever to the ammo). Mine is a 1895GS, my 1895 Cowboy does not do this.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

It's a Marlin 1895 cowboy and I bought it brand new. In fact had to order it. I have torn it down and cleaned and oiled it about as many times as I've shot it--- well maybe not quite as much but it does not suffer from crud build up. Marlin said send it back to them, but I had rather fix it myself if at all possible. It shouldn't be a matter of wear as the gun is still very new.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

phc45-70 wrote:It's a Marlin 1895 cowboy and I bought it brand new. In fact had to order it. I have torn it down and cleaned and oiled it about as many times as I've shot it--- well maybe not quite as much but it does not suffer from crud build up. Marlin said send it back to them, but I had rather fix it myself if at all possible. It shouldn't be a matter of wear as the gun is still very new.
The good news is that it's not the Marlin Jam...that's only on 1894s....... Another thing to check is the screw that's on the outside directly underneath the opening of the mag tube..sometimes it's a bit long and drags on the brass coming out of the mag tube and hangs up. This was not the case in mine, but the problem seems to be disapating with time and cleanlyness.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Is that supposed to be there?

Post by phc45-70 »

I pulled the mag. tube out of my 1895 cowboy and aboout 1" from the reciever end on the left side of the tube, looking down at the gun from the top. There is a bulge about 1" long x 1/2" wide and about .120" high. Is that supposed to be there?
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Is that supposed to be there?

Post by Lefty Dude »

It better be, without it you will not be able to load rounds in the magazine tube. :wink:

Yes it is proper and standard for 1895's.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

Okay, I give up. I'm just going to send it back to Marlin>
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm having trouble picturing this. Can you post pictures?

Is the jam with the bolt open? Or is the cartridge jamming on closing? Or something different...

is the next round starting out before the lifter bottoms out?

sounds like some kind of timing issue.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Why send it back? The long cartridges won't go into the magazine tube without that bulge. It belongs there.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

The cartridges are not excessively long in fact they are much shorter than the max. COAL calls for but still they fail to feed. From what I can find out this is not a uncommon problem with this action and the remedy is to return the gun and allow them to replace the carrier.
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

Pictures are out of the question as I just send the gun back to Marlin. But yes it was jaming with the bolt fully open. Sometimes it jams with the next round about half way out of the Mag. tube and sometimes it jammed with the next round all of the way back where it is supposed to be. I couldn't figure out why it was doing this but I talked to a friend who as a gunsmith has worked on an number of these and he said the best thing to do is just send it back and they will replace the carrier which is the cause of the problem. So it must be a timing thing.