OT---Support Your Local Gun Buy Back Program

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT---Support Your Local Gun Buy Back Program

Post by Sixgun »

:D Yea Guys, when your city has an ill fated gun buy back program in your area, please support it. By getting rid of junk guns, you will be able to save money for the quality stuff. Over the last several years, I accumulated 22 junk guns that people either gave me, or I purchased for $5-10 at auctions. They were giving $100 per gun.

I was a very good concerned citizen today and turned 'em in to the Philly police and walked out with $2000 in Shoprite Supermarket gift cards. :D Two guns were deemed "non-guns" by the Philly police. One was a toy cap gun and the other was just a frame from an old H&R. I let 'em slide. :D

No, they did not get the NF SAA Colt in 44 Spl. I have pictured---------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT---Support Your Local Gun Buy Back Program

Post by winchester1886 »

That's what happend out here, I think there are more guns in Australia now then before the Gun Buy back, and all the pollies know by now that it was a solution to a non existent problem, had they have spent the half billion they wasted on the buy back on roads or hospitals they would have saved far more lives, not that that would worry them all big party pollies are yellow backed gutless yes men(woman) that only think of themselves, we will only fix this world up when we don't vote for the big political parties.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

We did the same thing here in Phoenix, got a months worth of free groceries, new pair of tennis shoes and a full tank of gas.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We are trying to pass a law here in VA that requires the buy back guns be sold to a local dealer... :lol: I know there are some nifty things that get caught up in "buy-backs"...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I've heard horror stories about some of those guns turned in....highly valuable collectors' pieces, etc.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thats very kewl
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hobie wrote:We are trying to pass a law here in VA that requires the buy back guns be sold to a local dealer... :lol: I know there are some nifty things that get caught up in "buy-backs"...
Hobie & Jeep Guy,
While I was waiting in line, I got around to bs'en with all the local people who were also turning in guns. I looked at their guns and looked on down the line to see what I could pick out. When it was my turn to go into the police van, I checked out the guns on the table (in the van). All I saw was JUNK. The nicest gun was a Sears 12 ga. single barrel shotgun in like new condition. Big deal--thats only worth about $75-tops.

Well, I dug around the basement real good tonight and managed to put together 5 more guns--two single barrel shotguns, one double hammer gun and a well worn Smith in 38 S&W. Looks like I'm headed the 32 miles back to Philly tomorrow :D -----------------Sixgun

Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

We have had a number of these in this area of Florida, mostly junk is turned in buy pawn brokers and gun shop owners who have built up a supply over the years. They have tried to limit in such a way only non-dealers would be turning in these guns, but the gun dealers and shop owners had family memebers go instead. One year one city was doing a publicity build up for a turn in for grocery store cards, to be held at several Salvation Army stores, only problem the store employs lots of work release inmates, it got stopped. When they finally found a place to have their buy back, a number of reputable estate buyers and dealers set up a nice shade shelter, with signs offering free appraisals and evaluations on weapons being turned in if asked. A lot of older widows and such were very surpised to learn the true value of some of the guns the city was willing to pay fifty bucks for were several in 4 and 1 or 2 possible 5 figure range as rare curios, relics etc. Highly priced. The police and politicians tried to stop them, but the deed was done. A little bit of justice and some people got some real money to aid them in their few years left. I understand there were some good stories told about some of the collectables. Sure made a bunch of gun grabbers mad.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am all for it, let them spend thier money on junk.
Less money they can do real damage with.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

mescalero1 wrote:I am all for it, let them spend thier money on junk.
There 'ya go! :D Thats saying it like it is! :D --------------------Sixgun

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: ...one double hammer gun...
Oh! Pray tell... details, maybe it'd fetch more'n Philly is willing to pay, or maybe not... but a CAS afficionado might be happier with it that the Philly Po-lice.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cliff wrote:We have had a number of these in this area of Florida, mostly junk is turned in buy pawn brokers and gun shop owners who have built up a supply over the years. They have tried to limit in such a way only non-dealers would be turning in these guns, but the gun dealers and shop owners had family memebers go instead. One year one city was doing a publicity build up for a turn in for grocery store cards, to be held at several Salvation Army stores, only problem the store employs lots of work release inmates, it got stopped. When they finally found a place to have their buy back, a number of reputable estate buyers and dealers set up a nice shade shelter, with signs offering free appraisals and evaluations on weapons being turned in if asked. A lot of older widows and such were very surpised to learn the true value of some of the guns the city was willing to pay fifty bucks for were several in 4 and 1 or 2 possible 5 figure range as rare curios, relics etc. Highly priced. The police and politicians tried to stop them, but the deed was done. A little bit of justice and some people got some real money to aid them in their few years left. I understand there were some good stories told about some of the collectables. Sure made a bunch of gun grabbers mad.
Around here some cops will take off the day of the buy back and walk the line looking for guns, badges showing, and get some nice things. Yeah, mostly junk but the northern transplanted widow ladies turn out for these just like they do for HAZMAT day, etc... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Sixgun wrote:
Hobie wrote:We are trying to pass a law here in VA that requires the buy back guns be sold to a local dealer... :lol: I know there are some nifty things that get caught up in "buy-backs"...
Hobie & Jeep Guy,
While I was waiting in line, I got around to bs'en with all the local people who were also turning in guns. I looked at their guns and looked on down the line to see what I could pick out. When it was my turn to go into the police van, I checked out the guns on the table (in the van). All I saw was JUNK. The nicest gun was a Sears 12 ga. single barrel shotgun in like new condition. Big deal--thats only worth about $75-tops.

Well, I dug around the basement real good tonight and managed to put together 5 more guns--two single barrel shotguns, one double hammer gun and a well worn Smith in 38 S&W. Looks like I'm headed the 32 miles back to Philly tomorrow :D -----------------Sixgun

Just curious Sixgun...what is the old Double hammer gun? I have a soft spot for them and the singles so let me know if it is on the market. I might be able to do ya better than a 100 bucks. AW...I just looked back and I see Griff beat me in asking you about it! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff & C. Cash,
Here it is. It's a 12 ga. and the brand name is "Sam Holt". Ha! It was one of the trade names sold by Sears,Roebuck around the turn of the century. The gun is very decent looking and shoots good, (I know, dangerous with smokeless) but is a little loose on the lock up. Mechanics are excellent and bore is slightly pitted. Barrels do not look like damascus but these old doubles are not my game. Decent wood with checkering worn somewhat smooth with a recoat of varnish a million years ago.

I really don't care who buys it, (you guys fight it out :D ) but I have to know by 9am tomorrow. $125 gets it shipped to your door as I figure about $25 for shipping-------------Sixgun
Image,
Image,

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

C.Cash, if you want it, it's yours, I probably spoke too soon, I have a couple of bills coming due this week, and what with buying a new levergun, I'm extended out to the wife's limit! If you decide not to; Sixgun, can you wait till next week for the money? I ain't worried 'bout the steel, for it'll strictly be BP for me... are they 2-¾ or 2-½ chambers.
Last edited by Griff on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks Griff and to you Sixgun for the pics and the offer. I think I'll pass as I'm not sure about the barrel steel(laminate vs. fluid steel)...pretty sure it's a Belgian gun but not sure. Thanks again for going to the trouble of posting those and giving us a crack at it.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

:D
Griff wrote:C.Cash, if you want it, it's yours, I probably spoke too soon, I have a couple of bills coming due this week, and what with buying a new levergun, I'm extended out to the wife's limit! If you decide not to; Sixgun, can you wait till next week for the money? I ain't worried 'bout the steel, for it'll strictly be BP for me... are they 2-¾ or 2-½ chambers.

Griff,
I still have all the guns. The buy back program was only one day. If you want the gun, PM me your address and I'll get it down to you. No FFL required as its antique. If you like it, send me the bucks when you can--If not, send it back and I'll save it for the next buy back program or stick it here on the classified.

I measured the chambers as best I could and it looks like 3" up to where it starts to flare out so I take it to be 2 and 3/4.

I looked at it again and it does say "Laminated Steel" Belgium. It does have excellent locks (hammer and trigger) , but like I said, it does not lock up real tight when you close the action--on the other hand, its not sloppy loose. I used it for two years for CAS back in the early nineties and I'm still here. The barrels are real thick. Its a decent looking "clean" gun with solid wood.

My father bought the gun back in the sixties and it hung on his wall for 30 years before I "liberated" it. :D Its your call, either way, its no big deal.------------------------Sixgun

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun,
You have mail! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I do the same thing here, but unfortunately we rarely have them anymore! Or maybe my scheme has been successful in diminishing their funds!
I pick up lots of junk receivers and wrecked barrels. Then when they have a gun buy back I simply turn the barrel shanks down until I can force them into the receiver with a big hammer. wire or tape a junk stock to it, and me and my friends head down to turn in as many as we can!
As a finishing touch, I call the folks who sponsor the events and thank them for taking this scrap metal off my hands and giving me their dinners, gift certificates, etc.!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

All my junks firearms are for my going to my kids, grand kids and a friend of mine who likes some of them and I know they will be abused by being used and loved.
My firearms all work and are still in good shape.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

all my junk guns will be used for trade if we ever have the bad times if not
I'm happy to let them sit in an old card board box ..

have to admit that is a nice shotgun. :-) yep I'd send it
to the chop saw too .... (NOT)

Talon
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Sixgun,
You have mail! :D
Griff, try it again--must not have gone through :cry: --------------Sixgun

Shooter973
Levergunner

Post by Shooter973 »

Just how can this be a "Buy Back program"? If the Govt. never owned the guns in the first place??? :roll:
Could you set up a table outside of one of these and pay $10 more than the Govt. is paying and get some of the better guns before the Cops do??? :idea:
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

:o :o Dude, I just like joking around with ya. Please don't give away all my inheritance. Really, it's all in good fun. .......... BUDDY.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

It isn't THEIR money, it's OUR money.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BAGTIC wrote:
And the more of it I can get back by giving them stuff at a Profit, the better AFAIC...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

BAGTIC wrote:

Man, I thought you were my wife for a minute. :mrgreen:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It is still a diversion
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have not checked the statistics recently ( since I retired from Police work In the Phila area as a matter of fact )
When the gun buy-back programs started and the last I heard, everytime a buy back date is announced Burglaries in the vicinity go up . HMMM and guns are the most reported stolen in these burglraies. The good ones go on the street, the junk ones go to the buy- back van . Good business all around
SOME departments take photos of the people turning in guns and then take them to local pawn shops to see if the person had been in lately. A lot of times things besides the guns that were stolen in the burglaries turn up at the pawn shops. SOME departments solved some burglaries from the buy back program . :wink: But usually only the ones CAUSED by the buy-back program
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sixgun,

If Griff doesn't take it, I will and I will have 86er redo the lockup to make it tight.

mike
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Some people's junk is another's gold! Never know when you need that part.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:Sixgun,
If Griff doesn't take it, I will and I will have 86er redo the lockup to make it tight.
mike
Sorry, Mike; taken, and have to talk to 86er!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I got a Savage 99 .358 Winchester out of a junkpile.