What Is It About The 357 Mag. In a rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

What Is It About The 357 Mag. In a rifle?

Post by cshold »

Is the .357 mag. The only round that
as many say “really comes alive in a rifle”?
Are there any other rounds that have as good or
better ballistic increases out of a rifle?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: What Is It About The 357 Mag. In a rifle?

Post by Terry Murbach »

NO, IT IS NOT THE ONLY HANDGUN CARTRIDGE THAT "COMES ALIVE" FROM CARBINE BARRELS. THE 41MAG AND THE 44MAG DO JUST ABOUT AS WELL PERCENTAGE WISE. THE 45COLT WITH HEAVY LOADS PERFORMS AS WELL AS THE REST. DO NOTE THE GEOMETRICAL SYMMETRY OF THEM ALL.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

No, it's not the only one. Similar ballistic improvements can be found with the 44 Mag and 45 Colt rounds as well. If you look at stout loads of 45 Colt in a levergun, they can run a 300 gr. cast bullet near 1600 fps. You're right there with the old 45-90 loads.
NRA Life Member
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

For decades I was a hunter using the .348. Anything not in that league was a "pee wee" cartridge to me. I could only see red when my friends hunted deer with a 30-30 or such. When I learned of the 45-70 and what a big bullet really was all about, I wanted that too and did get several. But at 62 years old, a couple years back, I got a 45 Colt and .44 Mag in the 1894 Marlin rifles. I was amazed at the power, the obvious lethalness, the heft, of these neat rifles. My shoulder told me that the .44 especially would be excellent on deer sized game. I hunt in brush and thick woods, don't need a long range caliber at all. So, I can't wait now to get a .357, it's on my list of needed and necessarry rifles. A .357 rifle has got to be a lot of fun.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Terry Murbach wrote:NO, IT IS NOT THE ONLY HANDGUN CARTRIDGE THAT "COMES ALIVE" FROM CARBINE BARRELS. THE 41MAG AND THE 44MAG DO JUST ABOUT AS WELL PERCENTAGE WISE. THE 45COLT WITH HEAVY LOADS PERFORMS AS WELL AS THE REST. DO NOTE THE GEOMETRICAL SYMMETRY OF THEM ALL.
One of these days I'm going to have to Geek the Data on that...

I know all of the cartridges you mention improve significantly in a carbine, but IIRC the hard numbers show that the .357 shifts out of all proportion - well above the gains in anything in the "forty" range... Dunno why....

SOmthing else to do in my (inverse) copius spare time.... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

EABCO offers a 9mm Luger barrel for the Encore Rifle - I'd like to see what THAT round does from a 24" barrel with hot loads (surely nowhere near the .357 Mag, but interesting nonetheless).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

All pistol calibers show increases up to 16" (+/-) but from what I've seen, the .357 is somthing out of the ordinary there.

Maybe it has somthing to do with Sectional Density... I dunno.

All I know is that I'm a such a Tease... :twisted:

Hey JB/2ndovc...

I should have these final-lubed this week and ship on Mon Feb 9. :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Terry is right.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Ballistics by the Inch http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/.Notice that semiautomatic pistol cartridges(with small case capacities) can not really compete with volumetric case capacities of the revolver cartridges.Nothing new to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... y+the+inch

I posted this a little while ago. The cartridges that gained big in a rifle barrel were all magnum revolvers and to a lesser extent the 45colt(though the corbon load jumped quite a bit). The only auto cartridge that show similar gains was the 357Sig.

edit: I see Jaguarundi beat me to it.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

When I was re-evaluating my Pistol/Rifle Kit Gun setup a few years ago, it was Paco's articles that, by in large, steered me away from the .45/.454 combo to the .38/.357 combo.

It seemed (then and now) that, while not optmal for AK., the .38/.358 setup in a Rifle was better enough in both performance and in minimizing expendables over the .45/.454 that I went with the .357.

Now I'm a .357 Zealot, but then, before coming here/reading Paco's stuff, I could have gone either way.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI< what article by Paco? - I am a recent convert to the .357 pistol,rifle, kit gun. I use to be a huge fan of the .429
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've got a Marlin 1894 cowboy with a 20" barrel and while it picks up a truck load of extra power and velocity it does give up a fair bit of accuracy in the process, although this is far more noticable with cast bullets than jacketed. Cant speak for the .44, as there are few, if any of them at our club, but the .45 seems to pick up some grunt without sacrificing accuracy.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

rjohns94 wrote:OI< what article by Paco? - I am a recent convert to the .357 pistol,rifle, kit gun. I use to be a huge fan of the .429

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... rature.htm
NRA Life Member
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

gundownunder wrote:I've got a Marlin 1894 cowboy with a 20" barrel and while it picks up a truck load of extra power and velocity it does give up a fair bit of accuracy in the process, although this is far more noticable with cast bullets than jacketed. Cant speak for the .44, as there are few, if any of them at our club, but the .45 seems to pick up some grunt without sacrificing accuracy.
In comparison too what, I wonder?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Moynihan
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Good discussion guys, thanks :D

“Old Ironsights” nice pictures of levergunners dope.
Ya can never get or have enough of it. :wink:
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Based on Paco's article, and posts here, especially by ScottT, in October '08 I bought myself a .357 mag Marlin 1984C, and layawayed an 1894CB, also .357, which I paid out a few days ago. I had a little extra cash from OT worked during and after Hurricane Ike, and when everyone else was buying black rifles, I bought blue ones. Life is good.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good idea in my book.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I’m sure chomping at the bit to get this one in my hands. :)

shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I just this week put a winchester model 92 in 357 mag on layaway that has a 24 inch barrel and made in Japan. I don't care where it was made this is an ideal platform for this cartridge as I had a model 94 in 357 and hated it traded in on a model 86.
I wanted a rifle that would shoot the same thing as a few of my pistols and no have one well in a couple months I will have one.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

shdwlkr wrote:I just this week put a winchester model 92 in 357 mag on layaway that has a 24 inch barrel and made in Japan. I don't care where it was made this is an ideal platform for this cartridge as I had a model 94 in 357 and hated it traded in on a model 86.
I wanted a rifle that would shoot the same thing as a few of my pistols and no have one well in a couple months I will have one.
I was unaware they were made with a 24” barrel. :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

TedH wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:OI< what article by Paco? - I am a recent convert to the .357 pistol,rifle, kit gun. I use to be a huge fan of the .429

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... rature.htm
200 grain RN cast in 38 special+p cases 16/296 just over 1870 fps (52,000psi) for my strong 92s only... they are cast hard, left for 24 hours, then lubed .358 and then placed in a pan of water up to the leading edge and then the noses are de-tempered with a butain torch... it allows the nose to be soft and expand and the body to stay hard and resist fouling.... I use small rifle primers usually Federal.

WOW :!: :shock:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

And another big WOW :!: :shock:
And I thought I paid way to much a couple of months ago.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =121264727
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

casastahle
This is the first one I have actually had my grimy mitts on and I was not about to let it get away. I thought something was strange when I saw it with a lot of other 20 inch barrel levers and then I made the mistake of picking it up and it was all over. I also make the mistake of telling my dealer what I am looking for at times and it seems real funny that in a few months if I walk in on the right day that there sits what I was looking for but this time he did a double mistake as there is also a 1886 just like the one I have in the same condition and very close serial number wise to the one I have and I told them they should put it in the back room and in two months when the one I have on layaway is paid that one will go there next. They laughed and said I just might be able to pick it up if it is only two months. Man with a dealer like that how is a guy going to get over leveritis diease and be cured??
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

OI...Even here in Interior AK, I consider the little magnum to be just about perfect for my uses. In a good year I "might" shoot the 45-70 a couple times at a moose or bear. Most of the year, the 357 does all the meat hunting for small game, varmints etc, and has proven itself on black bear. Penetration tests on fresh moose quarters leave me with no doubt as to the ability of a 180gr cast boolit to provide enough penetration for a clean kill on moose should I stumble upon one while gathering grouse for the winter. As long as I don't make it a point to poke fun at the humpbacked bears, the .357 will do most anything I need to do in a pinch and do it on a tight budget. All things considered, a very handy little unit with a heap of fun factor as a bonus.

I have started to dribble old wheelweights into little metal blocks for projectile production...another diversion from a workaday world. Only regret is that I did not start years ago.

A very busy time of year for me but sure love to sneak in and read up on what you fellers are up to.

My best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
brionic
Levergunner 1.0

Post by brionic »

casastahle wrote:And another big WOW :!: :shock:
This one seems like it was a better deal for some crafty rascal: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =121374697 :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI or TedH, I will gladly take you up on the offer the use your mold to pour some of these babies. If your serious, I can PM my snail mail and I will pay for the shipping to me when I ship it back. Thanks so much.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

brionic wrote:
casastahle wrote:And another big WOW :!: :shock:
This one seems like it was a better deal for some crafty rascal: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =121374697 :wink:
If you'r that crafty rascal, (I wont tell :wink: )
congadulations that’s a fine lookin rifle. :D