Lever Action for Self-Defense on Shooting Gallery Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Lever Action for Self-Defense on Shooting Gallery Today

Post by kemosabi45 »

Shooting Gallery TV Show on the OutDoor Channel is doing a show today on The Lever Action for Self-Defense. Today is Wed. Jan 28
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Lever Action for Self-Defense on Shooting Gallery Today

Post by AJMD429 »

Post a followup - we don't have TV here...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What AJMD said. We don't get cable.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

Oops, I posted up above, didn't see it down here but obviously didn't look hard enough. :-)

Hopefully it'll be on the net somewhere.

'Boo
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I saw it , but the whole episode was silly. Heavily biased toward Marlins that were turned into sleazy looking copies of EBRs. The part about "car-bean" self defense was demonstrated using a '92 rifle. Maybe it's just me, but the pronouncing the word carbine as "car-bean" doesn't sound quite right.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Car-Bean is how it's listed in my dictionary'

<a> href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... carbine</a>
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Mike D. wrote:I saw it , but the whole episode was silly. Heavily biased toward Marlins that were turned into sleazy looking copies of EBRs. The part about "car-bean" self defense was demonstrated using a '92 rifle. Maybe it's just me, but the pronouncing the word carbine as "car-bean" doesn't sound quite right.
I've rarely heard it pronounced any other way than car-bean.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Jeff Cooper noted that the correct pronunciation, in his opinion, was Car-BINE. He was well educated and known for his prowess with the English language. For all that, however correct he may have been, I suspect
you'll get a lot of wierd looks and some corrections if you say Car-BINE rather than Car-Bean...

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I think it's a regional thing. Here in the backwards South, I always hear it pronounced car-bean. :)
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

According to Merriam Webster online pronunciation, it's car-bean:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/ ... av=carbine

According to Answers.com, it comes from the French word of similar pronunciation:
Dictionary:
carbine
(kär'be-n', -bi-n') pronunciation
.....[Note - no "bine" alternative here - JdeF].....
n.
A lightweight rifle with a short barrel.
[French carabine, from Old French carabin, soldier armed with a musket, perhaps from escarrabin, gravedigger, from scarabee, dung beetle. See scarab.]
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Well, for those of use with rabbit ears on our caveman TVs, what was the substance of the show, please? It is car-bean here in SE Texas, too, FWIW.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good show. Show was about showing techniques on using a levergun as a tactical weapon... much as you'd use an EBR or shotgun in a houseclearing exercise.

The big deal, don't show the gun, don't allow it to become a weapon or handle to be used against you. Good show.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

Here is link to a little of what it looked like http://www.downrange.tv/shootinggallery/episode109.htm

I liked it in general but then again I like anything to do with lever guns.

I like the small Aim-Piont site on the one, I also have old man eyes and can't use the steel sites for long range shooting.

XS sites is making a tactical forearm for hanging stuff on it but they said the 45-70 is the first one to be made.
A 45-70 for home defence is a little much in my opion :lol:
Why do you need to buy a special tactical forearm I would just use a rail and a few screws or this http://www.wildwestguns.com/products.html

They also said that rural police agencies are more in favor of using a 30-30 lever gun for tactcal use than using the AR15.

Hre is a link to Banes blog let him know that we would like the episode listed on his site.http://www.downrange.tv/blog/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

kemosabi45 wrote:...Hre is a link to Banes blog let him know that we would like the episode listed on his site.http://www.downrange.tv/blog/
I did that yesterday on the Comment form.

They responded quickly and said they would look into it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I saw most of it but was exhausted and had to hit the hay. It seemed well done...good to see the Lever brought back into consideration for a defensive firearm in the eyes of the masses(most of us knew that it would do just fine all along). Loading a lever the way he showed can be problematic for many levers. Some don't like it when the whole round is passed into the loading gate until it's completely in the mag tube, and then trying to insert the next cartridge. I put the first round about three quarters into the loading gate, then follow up with another round on top which goes three quarters in, until the last round when it of course is inserted fully into the gun. That part takes practice but it's always been much faster for me with the 94 Win. My first 94 would not load the second round until I started doing it the way I do now and my Big Bore shows the same tendency.
Last edited by C. Cash on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've found that loading my Rossi with the same Speed Strips I carry for my CCW is really pretty quick...

Top-feeding is handy too if all you've got is a pocket full.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It's car BINE over ere' :oops:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Anything that has a 6 to 10 round capacity... and can be topped off -on the move-without opening the action up- is good in my book.

You learn real fast to leave a little bit of rim showing in the gate...lots easier to shove the next round in that way.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sorry if y'all like the pronunciation "car-bean", but I don't buy it. It may be ONLY me, but "car-byne" sounds much better to my ears. Petty though it may be, I gotta stick to my guns. :lol:

My choice of home defense weapon has always been a Winchester '97 trench shotgun, loaded with game loads of #5 lead shot. Good enough for close in work, and it won't penetrate several walls and the neighbor's house. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Good show. Show was about showing techniques on using a levergun as a tactical weapon... much as you'd use an EBR or shotgun in a houseclearing exercise.

The big deal, don't show the gun, don't allow it to become a weapon or handle to be used against you. Good show.
+1

I liked the forend on the 45-70 GG. To bad they didn't at least paint the buttstock black. It would be nice to see a tactical change out made to incorporate the buttstock and forend.
Old Law Dawg