BLR .22-250

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

BLR .22-250

Post by awp101 »

OK, I need some help (a well known fact anyway Image) and persuasion or discouragement.

Local shop has a used BLR .22-250 (Made in Japan), Burris mount, Simmons scope (don't know the particulars of the scope), Browning recoil pad (normal for a BLR?), 95%+, $600.

I know next to nothing about the .22-250 other than it can be a throat eater, it's too small for deer and hogs (IMO) and there are no varmints to hunt anywhere close. Well, not 4 legged at least. :lol:

What else can I do with the .22-250 other than punch paper that my other paper punchers won't do? Besides do it with Browning class? :wink:

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: BLR .22-250

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I know a fella around town that had polio real bad as a kid. One leg is badly disfigured and walking long distances on his gimpy leg is out of the question. His weapon of choice is an old rusty beat up Savage in .22-250 with a Tasco scope that he keeps in his truck at all times. Using factory 55gr sp, he has never chased or lost a deer yet with a shot to the neck. It's a stone cold killer in the hands of someone who knows how and were to shoot. With a clean shot and a calm animal I wouldn't feel undergunned. There are better calibers, but with patience it is effective.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'll have to double check but I don't think any centerfire .22 is legal for deer in TX. But I don't know for sure. I would think it would do the job on a white tail though...

I've had a long time itch for a nice .223 bolt but from what I'm reading in doing a little research, this might accomplish the same thing accuracy-wise (at least in my hands), I can use the same components other than the brass that I'd use for my AR (once the reloading table is set up :roll: ) and like I said, do it with a touch more panache.

Gonna have to ponder a bit.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Barnes makes a 62 gr. Triple Shock and Nosler makes a 60 gr. Partition. I bet you'd have a hard time recovering one of those if shot thru a sideways deer. I have yet to recover one of the 85 gr. Triple Shock bullets from my 243 when shooting at deer.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

awp101 wrote:I'll have to double check but I don't think any centerfire .22 is legal for deer in TX. But I don't know for sure. I would think it would do the job on a white tail though...

I've had a long time itch for a nice .223 bolt but from what I'm reading in doing a little research, this might accomplish the same thing accuracy-wise (at least in my hands), I can use the same components other than the brass that I'd use for my AR (once the reloading table is set up :roll: ) and like I said, do it with a touch more panache.

Gonna have to ponder a bit.
awp101,

22 centerfire is legal for deer in Texas. I took a nice 10 point in east Texas with my old 788 in 22-250. I bet it well whack the heck out of Black buck, Rams, or such also.
Ricky

DWWC
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I know of a guy who uses the same rifle for Deer, and Antelope in Montana with the Nosler 60 grain Partition. He swears by it.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks RKrodle, I'd always been told growing up "No .22s" and I figured it covered centerfires as well.

Hmmm... :twisted:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Japanese BLRs are finely made rifles and usually very accurate and of course the common use of the 22-250 is long range varmint. Don't know the current prices but those steel BLRs are definitely worth having if you like them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Any thoughts on accuracy compared to a comparably priced .223 bolt? I know the .22-250 was hot in the benchrest game for a few years but AFAIK the .223 really wasn't and I'm no BR guy anyway... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hmmm - thoughts on BLR accuracy - :D Sometimes there are golf balls on the range at about 95 yds. I think this is the most dependable rifle I have to HIT them with. I have at least 20 rifles that are capable of sub inch groups.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Everyone should have at least 1 22-250.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Local shop in the D/FW area of TX has almost the exact same BLR with the same scope in almost new condition. They are asking $589. Don't know if you are in the area or not but you might check it out if you are. Pioneer Gunshop in bedford.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Savage wrote:Hmmm - thoughts on BLR accuracy - :D Sometimes there are golf balls on the range at about 95 yds. I think this is the most dependable rifle I have to HIT them with. I have at least 20 rifles that are capable of sub inch groups.

Why don't you just head out here to TX and shoot my groups for me? :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

:D Might qualify and "long ago and far away" look at the date on that.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Loads of deer fall to the 22-250 over here guys too. I not sure but it may struggle to stablise over 60gr boolits.
One thing a friend and myself state often is that if we had to make a choice between 243 and 22-250 we would go for the 22-250 from what we know now :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

The .22-250 BLR's arent hanging in every shop. Being out of print for a while, I'd be prone to try and make a deal. Two of the boys on our lease have been using nothing but .22-250's for the last 10 or 11 years (giving up their big mags) and they bring home a lot of venison. They're just not for jump shooting. Standing shots only, but 150 to 200 yards seems to work just fine. Neck shots close to the head are preferred to any body shot.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, it's a 1988 production. Would that be steel or aluminum (no magnet handy)? What twist rate would it be?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Found out it's steel and according to the Browning website the new ones are 1-14" twist. Would that hold true for the older ones as well?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at