Model 94 balance point?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Model 94 balance point?

Post by Old Savage »

I am working on a Win 94 with a 24" barrel removing two lead plugs that were epoxied into the stock. I assume because it also came with a tang sight that it was to reduce recoil for silouette shooting or the like. Where should the rifle balance? It can't really be returned to normal because the wood is drilled out. Right now it balances with a finger under the front margin of the loading port. Where does a 20" balance - mine has a scope :( on it?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 94 balance point?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Glue some wooden dowels in the holes in the stock to replace the wood that was drilled out. :D
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Old Savage,
I cant say for sure, but if you have an octagonal barrel, they are a lot more nose heavy than the 20" barrel. Maybe lead was added to balance the rifle, with the added bonus of felt recoil reduction.
I would balance the rifle to my own needs. I guess its a matter of preference.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The configuration is round barrel, it is a 30-30.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Got an opportunity to check the balance of a standard 20" Win 94 at the shop today and this is right on - project over - that's good cause my wife said it was - she was the helper for the drilling. :D

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OS, my carbines seem to balance on the round part of the receiver, just in front of the link. But, that's just what I remember, that can change from example to example due to wood density. The better grades of wood (my BiCentennial Commemorative) is about where you describe.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff you could be right - there was only one example there to try. I will try it from here on shooting and see how I like it - easier to stop and try than put some back.