1873 Replica's, Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

1873 Replica's, Questions

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have been thinking about getting an 1873 Replica for a long time, frankly I have been a litte undecided on which caliber to get, and quality/reliability issues.

From other threads I have read on here, I get the impression that Chapel is not quite as nice or trouble free out of the box as Cimmoron. Pardon my spelling, I probably mispelled both brand names. Anyway, what do owner's of either or both have to say?

I have also been debating on caliber. I know 45 Colt is very popular, but I have heard that it isn't always as reliable, in operation as 44/40 or 357mag. I seen one at the last gun show that was in 44 special, which is not as common, but a tempting caliber.

I handload, but I don't know if I really want to mess with handloading for the 44/40, I doubt if I do much cowboy shooting, just plinking, and maybe deer hunting, or the occasional coyote, ground hog, armidillo, etc. Which has me leaning towards the .357mag. Plus I have always read that the .357 feeds better then the 45 colt in the 73's.

Comments?
NRA Life Member, Patron
Ysabel Kid

Re: 1873 Replica's, Questions

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cimarron is an importer, and they import Uberti-made guns (at least the 1873's). The Uberti's are nicer - and better made - than the Chaparral's. I have an Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt, and the Chaparral 1876 in .45-60 WCF. Both are nice guns, but the Uberti is hands-down the winner on fit and finish of the two! :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Dittos on what the kid said...
I have 2 73s...
one EMF Uberti, 44-40 , 20 inch octagon barrel
& one Stoeger Uberti, 45 LC, 24 in octagon barrel
Both have excellent fit and finish.
The 44-40 is a little harder to load because
of the shoulder....Both handle very well and are
fun to shoot..
But if you plan on shooting SASS, Cowboy Action Shooting,
they say you should get the 357 mag.
I have heard a few negative things about Chaparral
chambering problems...mostly on the 76 model
and only good things about Cimarron..
You might even want to look at Taylors & Company
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I just sold My Uberti in .45colt. It was made like a 100 year old Winnie.Just beautiful. If I get another it would be in .357.it's just too tempting to hot-rod the Colt and I couldn't think wrecking a fine rifle.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

I would check Taylors, Navy Arms and EMF. They all are importing Uberti's. These toggle link rifles are super slick. There are a few things to keep in mind about them though. First, the over all length of the cartridge is critical. They slide out of the magazine tube into a lifting block. If they are too short, the next cartridge will protrude from the magazine tube and prevent the lifter from going up. If they are too long, they will bind in the end of the magazine tube and prevent the lifter from rising. Both result in a failure to feed/function. Secondly, purchase a complete set of replacement screws for the rifle at the time of purchase!! You will not believe how difficult they are to get out the first time. Support the rifle and use a perfectly tuned screw driver the first time you remove any. The side plate screw on my rifle sheared half off the first time I tried to remove it. Required drilling out with a drill press. Got lucky. The Uberti's have very nice fit and finish. I'm not sure if this varies from one importer to the next, but of the three I mentioned, all I've seen have been first rate. I like to lose the glossy-shiny finish and go with satin-ish oil. Mine in .357 has run flawlessly for five years now and it's a pleasure to carry as a utility rifle. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot... Wind
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Have had several Ubertis in .45 Colt over the past 15 years. They all functioned perfectly, and the one I have now is the slickest levegun I've ever owned, with only MINIMAL work on it...

Some say the .44WCFs work better, but I have yet to see the proof of it.

No, you can't hot-rod a '73, like you could a '92, but SO WHAT...?!?

With 23 gr H-4198 and a 250 gr. LaserCast slug, I get right at 1400 fps. That is equal to pretty good .44 Mag ballistics from a revolver.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess I just need to decide which caliber I would get the most use out of.

Who makes Chaparral's? I keep hearing problems with those. So I think I will stay away from them.
NRA Life Member, Patron