Get your drool towel!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Get your drool towel!

Post by Marc »

$197,000.00 - Win 1894 - 5 barrel set.

Picture taken at the shot show. Original post here.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 8871060101
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Get your drool towel!

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well, it looks like they've got all the cartridges covered with this one. Is this a modern build by a custom 'smith?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Just needs 4 more receivers to make it a complete set
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Oh now that is way cool. Now where is that drool smilie :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I know most people like full mags, but on a takedown they usually get kind of scraped up by the forward hanger if they're used with any frequency. I hate that ... so I prefer 1/2 mags or just protruding beyond the forend such that the mag hanger / support is up under the wood and the scrapes in the bluing can't be seen.

Pretty picky, I know. But I'm currently short the $197k I need for the set so I'm trying to convince myself why it's not really for me.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Be fun to have that kind of play money!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

flatnose wrote:Just needs 4 more receivers to make it a complete set
Kind of my sentiment. Still a beautiful piece of work from an aesthetic and gunsmithing standpoint.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Well, it looks like they've got all the cartridges covered with this one. Is this a modern build by a custom 'smith?
If this is a recent build, they use an old 1894 to build it on. Look at the contour of the bottom of the receiver. The newer ones are much squarer than that.

Beautiful set. But for a $197K I'd move me and mine way out west where I could use the ones I have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Double set trigger too. What's reasonable for a build like this ... $25k?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Its a shame winchester or usrac did not put out a set like this in their later years. I would think they could have produced such a set for $3,000 or even less, based on the 94 action.
Maybe one day, miroku will do so.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Drool towel? At that price, I need a defibulator! :shock:

(But that is a sweet set!!! 8) )
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Break it down. Absolutely the outside figure could not be more than $500.00 for each barrel set, and $500.00 each for the receiver and the case with accessories. So, $3500.00 plus a 50% markup. Out the factory door for $5250.00. Winchester could have done that all day.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I believe that the set is an original Winchester special order, and the only one of it's kind in existence today. I certainly don't mind the full mags on the takedowns; the slight marrs on the tube only demonstrate the gun's legitimate usage. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

How well do they shoot?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I know most people like full mags, but on a takedown they usually get kind of scraped up by the forward hanger if they're used with any frequency. I hate that ... so I prefer 1/2 mags or just protruding beyond the forend such that the mag hanger / support is up under the wood and the scrapes in the bluing can't be seen.

Pretty picky, I know. But I'm currently short the $197k I need for the set so I'm trying to convince myself why it's not really for me.
Interesting? From what I've seen on Winchesters, with their system where the mag tube is unscrewed to take it down, I've seen way more half mag takedowns with wear marks on the barrels where the lever on the tube rubbed the barrel while unscrewing it. I'd have thought the full mag version would prevent this from happening?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'm pretty sure MikeD is right about this being an original special order Winchester take down set.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

marlinman93 wrote: Interesting? From what I've seen on Winchesters, with their system where the mag tube is unscrewed to take it down, I've seen way more half mag takedowns with wear marks on the barrels where the lever on the tube rubbed the barrel while unscrewing it. I'd have thought the full mag version would prevent this from happening?
True, if one isn't careful the lever can easily hit the barrel on a 1/2 mag. I suppose I'm fairly careful though. On a full mag, the part of the tube that twists through the hanger is definitely going to get that metal on metal bluing loss. It's not usually very bad though ... just a uniform scraping as the mag tube works it's way out of the receiver.

If that's an original Winchester build, then I can see the $197k. What goes through someone's mind when they mark a set like that at $197k instead of $200k even?

It looks like the 30 WCF barrel was once mounted, but I don't see the mag tube wear on any of the other barrels.
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sorry guys, This one is mine. I sent him a money order today. :roll: