OT: Holocaust Movie review - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Holocaust Movie review - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Post by Old No7 »

'Evening all.

My son is a film student, and he really wanted to see this movie. My wife and I went along with him last night, but knowing nothing about it in advance, he gave us this brief preview, from an online reviewer:

"Based on the novel by John Boyne, THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS is a wrenching Holocaust story about a young German boy and his forbidden friendship with a Jewish child... It is a deeply moving and -- it must be said -- disturbing movie; but it is a remarkable story, told with masterly intelligence and grace."

We all were very impressed with this movie. While we didn't "enjoy" it in that sense, we're all glad we saw it, and it does make you think... But I must caution you, this is not a "feel good" or "let's take the kids" type of movie. It is truly remarkable filmaking for the engaging story and how it plays out, albeit with a big twist -- as hinted at above -- at the very end.

The movie has...

... no sex.

...no car chases.

...no love scenes.

...no gun fights (or leverguns).

But it was fine movie-making, in the same class as Schindler's List perhaps, although lower in length and on the overall impact & quality scores. If you enjoy a great story with historical facts and period-correct costuming wound into its fabric, supported by great acting by relative unknowns, then you may want to see this film. In my opinion, the little boy who played Bruno and the actress who played his mother both turned in truly outstanding performances.

Without giving away the plot, I can best summarize the movie by saying:

It's about two boys...

One is an innocent victim -- and the other, a victim of his innocence.

Tight groups.

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT: Movie Review -- "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas"

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My son is getting old enough to see movies about the Holocaust. I'll look for this - he needs to understand just what man is capable of doing, and why evil must be actively and aggressively fought in every age...
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Holocaust Movie review - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Post by Old No7 »

Back to top...

You folks are missing out on a powerful movie.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for the heads up Old no. 7. I may be able to see it when it reaches netflix.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another one we watched and liked about that era was Enemy at the Gates. There are several others and if I can pry the titles from my wife's memory, I'll post them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I had a uncle that was part of a group that found and liberated one of the death camps. I was a small boy when he came home. He was with the 82nd and assigned to glyders. He told some rough storys.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

When I was stationed in Germany in the 1980's I was able to visit the concentration camp at Dachau. Dachau is the oldest of the concentration camps, is near Munich, but was not a "death camp" like Treblinka.

We had two young sons that were normally, rowdy, rambunctious little boys. As soon as we passed through the gates marked "Arbeit Macht Frei" ... you could feel the evil in the place. Neither of the boys was old enough to talk, but both of them were scared to death and clung to me and their mother like they would drown if they let go. As soon as we got back in the car, the boys were back to normal.

Visiting Dachau was one of the most moving experiences of my life, and I would highly recommend it.