Modified 1886 (Pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Modified 1886 (Pics)

Post by geobru »

I mentioned this gun in another thread and TedH said he would like to see pictures of it, so here they are. This gun was modified by someone who wasn't afraid to seriously change the configuration of an original 86.

The barrel was cut to 20", and machined to a tapered round barrel in front of the rear sight dovetail. The front sight dovetail was left intact and sits on an island that is at the original height. A rear peep sight was added, the metal was buffed and reblued. The end result is a gun that is a lot lighter than the original configuration, and is very easy to maneuver in the brush, as well as being pretty darned accurate.

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Re: Modified 1886 (Pics)

Post by Jaguarundi »

Neat :D !Sorta of a Proto-Guide Gun. 8) Thanks for posting the Pics.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

Neat. I almost bought one a while back that was turned down to 1/2 oct. Looked more factory than yours. I'd rather have it than a Jap one. What caliber? I'd like to know what it weighs. Dave
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is different and unique! Accurate too - sounds like a winner to me! :mrgreen:
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I do not know - looks a little odd to me, but if you like it go for it...
Hacked up a pretty nice rifle...
thanks for posting pics...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

AndyM wrote:I do not know - looks a little odd to me, but if you like it go for it...
Hacked up a pretty nice rifle...
thanks for posting pics...
When the guy did that, it was probably no bigger deal that going to Wally world, buying a MArlin .45-70, and doing the retarded stuff people do to them, these days.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

He hit the buffing wheel a bit hard though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Yeah, people tend to get a bit "tool happy".
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That frame looks like an early one and not designed to take stiff smokeless loads. The barrel may have been an original 1886 barrel that was somehow compromised. The little ramp remaining on the end of the barrel is the same as the ones either milled, or silver soldered, onto the barrels of lightweight, nickel steel barreled '86s. What is the serial number of that gun? If the lower tang is original it may tell an interesting fact about that rifle.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I have to say it...

Nice shoe! :D

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice shoe, nice gun, nice floor. Nice all around.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

NOW I understand what he did. The "ramp" is merely a portion of the old oct bbl left in place to hold the front sight. Hope you didn't give more than a few hundred bucks for that gun. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

The person that butchered that old 1886 should have all his fingers broken ! :evil:
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

lozen wrote:What caliber? I'd like to know what it weighs. Dave
It weighs in at 8.4 pounds and is a 45-90. SN is 47xxx, making it an 1890 rifle.

It is too bad that it was hacked up, but at the time it was done it probably wasn't considered to be a big deal. I bought it because it was a 45-90, which is the parent cartridge of the 40-82. Since I had a 40-82, in my twisted mind I could justify buying it because they are almost related. :lol:

It is a very good example of what a buffing wheel does to a receiver when it is applied too liberally, the magazine is sort of cobbed on and it does look odd. But you know what? That sucker lays them in there around 2-3 inches at 100 yards, and it is always fun to shoot an 86!! 8) I guess it like having an ugly little sister. Not much to look at, but you just gotta love her!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

The gun looks like it was modified by a plumber not a gun smith. Having said that if it shoots straight, is reliable, and gets the game, it's a good gun in my book. Good luck with her. Purdy ain't all it's cracked up to be.

8)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That's the kind of gun I enjoy taking to camp. It's different, nobody else has one, you can't hurt it, shoots great, and after a few beers it's the talk of the town. When you get your deer and the photo is taken with the gun, It starts all over again every time you show it. FUN! ENJOY! :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

rangerider7 wrote:That's the kind of gun I enjoy taking to camp. It's different, nobody else has one, you can't hurt it, shoots great, and after a few beers it's the talk of the town. When you get your deer and the photo is taken with the gun, It starts all over again every time you show it. FUN! ENJOY! :D
It's always fun to outshoot someone that mouths off about how they "wouldn't own a" ..whatever you're shooting with the gun they're criticising.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer