Marlin Takedown

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin Takedown

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm not a Marlin guy and I know there's not a lot of finish on this rifle, but isn't this still a pretty good price for this rifle ... an 1893 in 32-40? The metal seems to be fairly free of pitting or other dings. Seems like a good restoration candidate. Just curious ... wanting to learn more about Marlins.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin Takedown

Post by Modoc ED »

I think it looks pretty good. I don't have any use for that caliber but if I did, I'd think of clicking the "Buy it now" button as I don't feel that price is out of line.
ED
Yer never too old
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

If you restore it, you will not get that same price if you try to sell it. I know as I just moved a "very nice" takedown Winchester 1894 in 32 WS that had been restored and had some special features with an incorrect stock. I think it is too high and would not be a restoration candidate, unless you plan on keeping it for a long time.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Kind of pricey for a gun with no finish, a little more than dings in the wood (look at the shot showing the tang markings) and replacement sights. One interesting thing is the reddish spacer between the forearm cap and the forearm proper. I've had several takedowns (a Model 1894 25-20, two Model 1893's [30-30 & 32-40] and a Model 1895 38-56 with a 32" barrel) and none of them had a similar spacer; the caps fitted directly on the forearm. Hopefully Marlinman93 can shed some light on that spacer.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhh......Its a tough call. The gun is not worth it but.........its not far off. While there is no finish left, it does appear to be a "clean" (no big pits, gouges, etc) gun with no extra holes. The red spacer is definitly not "right", but is a no brainer to fix.
Marlin takedown guns are not in every corner gunshop. There's a whole lot less of them then there are Winchester takedowns, so....................If you have a hankering for a decent specimen of a takedown 1893, its not entirely out of line.

Neat caliber too. I shoot lots of 32-40 and make my brass by just running a 30-30 case into a 32-40 sizer.

One thing to keep in mind when buying a nice old levergun is that many people tend to pass up guns that have little or no finish. Guns that have little finish means they were USED and if they are USED, they are ACCURATE. Nobody hunts with a pie plate shooter. :D Over the years I have snagged guns in 95% condition only to find they were worthless as shooters.

The guy would most likely take $1300 "out the door"-------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i like it and if the bore was ok, I would keep it as is
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i like it and if the bore was ok, I would keep it as is
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The pics are OK, but not "definitive" enough for me. There are no photos of the barrel inscription, so you have to think that it is a "For Black Powder" gun. I would not at all be interested unless it has a "Special Steel For Smokeless Powder" barrel. The overall condition is that of a $800. shooter, regardless of the TD. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I'm wondering how " guns in 95% condition only to find they were worthless as shooters." could happen?
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Mike D. wrote:The pics are OK, but not "definitive" enough for me. There are no photos of the barrel inscription, so you have to think that it is a "For Black Powder" gun. I would not at all be interested unless it has a "Special Steel For Smokeless Powder" barrel. The overall condition is that of a $800. shooter, regardless of the TD. :)
I have seen tons of the "For Black Powder" marked guns for sale, and it's intersting that the barrel inscription isn't shown. However, I would bet that a takedown would have a Special Smokeless Steel barrel.

It's the takedown feature and the relatively decent shape of the metal that I find interesting. Of course, the classic 32-40 caliber is a bonus.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I know where there's a 1893 TD in simialr condition (and caliber) for about $300 less! I passed on it, but it is a friend's and may still be for sale.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Bruce wrote:If you restore it, you will not get that same price if you try to sell it. I know as I just moved a "very nice" takedown Winchester 1894 in 32 WS that had been restored and had some special features with an incorrect stock. I think it is too high and would not be a restoration candidate, unless you plan on keeping it for a long time.
I'm one of those restore it and keep it forever people. I've managed to sell exactly one gun in the last 25 years ... mostly because I have attachment issues. :shock:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

airedaleman wrote:Kind of pricey for a gun with no finish, a little more than dings in the wood (look at the shot showing the tang markings) and replacement sights. One interesting thing is the reddish spacer between the forearm cap and the forearm proper. I've had several takedowns (a Model 1894 25-20, two Model 1893's [30-30 & 32-40] and a Model 1895 38-56 with a 32" barrel) and none of them had a similar spacer; the caps fitted directly on the forearm. Hopefully Marlinman93 can shed some light on that spacer.
Yeah, the spacer leads me to believe the wood was replaced or horribly hacked on at some point.

Just trying to learn more about Marlins. There's an 1897 around here that I REALLY would like to pickup and have restored. They just want way too much for it at the moment. Maybe the recession will catch up to them and they'll come to their senses.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

cowboykell wrote:I'm wondering how " guns in 95% condition only to find they were worthless as shooters." could happen?
Cowboykell,
Its strange but it does happen and happens more often than seems probable. Just last year I snagged a kick-a_s 1894 takedown in 32 Spl, made in 1908. Eight hundred rounds later, I had it relined. It shoots now. A couple of years ago I had a super clean 1899 Savage with tons of pre-war blue on it, chambered in 300. Very "crispy". The best it would do was 4-5" at 100. I moved it.

Then there was the 90% Colt SAA Bisley in 38-40. I'm going back in the early eighties when these things could be had for 7-8 c-notes. No matter what I put through it, the bullets tumbled into 6" groups at 25 yards. Brass expanded to 44-40 neck diameter but the chamber mouths were .398. This was in a time when I did not know what to do. Different story now.

These are just three examples of many I have encountered. My reasoning is that they survived with all their blue and finish because they were poor shooters, so their owners left 'em tucked away :D
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Give me a gun with a 95% bore and I'll make it shoot. Neck turning, chamber reaming, hollow base bullet...lots of tricks to make them shoot.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is rather cool! 8)