OT: The Yellowstone super volcano....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT: The Yellowstone super volcano....

Post by O.S.O.K. »

So you guys that live within or near the "blast radius" worried about the super volcano that's currently the caldera we know as Yellowstone Natl. Park going boom?

If it does go, it'll whipe out 35% of our farmland and cause all kinds of death and destruction that will affect the entire nation. But those nearby are gonners.

From what I gather though, it could blow any time or not for another 70,000 years. And the experts don't know, but I guess there's been a lot of activity in the form of 3 and 3.5 level ground shakers - unusual in their rapidity...?

I understand that the last time it let go was 630,000 years ago and the time before that it was 620,000 years before and before that 700,000 yr.s earlier.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT: The Yellowstone super volcano....

Post by Blaine »

Well, for those of us left, it'll be no more seasons and no more limits :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:Well, for those of us left, it'll be no more seasons and no more limits :lol:
On anything or anyone.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

What're ya gonna do?
From what I've seen/read, this will be as big or bigger than the blast from the asteroid that hit near the Yucatan peninsula, which practically wiped all life from the planet. With the way the wind drifts, a soul might actually survive a little longer on the left coast, but all plant life, including plankton, will die from lack of sun light. If the magma, poisonous gas, rampaging hordes, or ash and chemical rain don't kill you quickly enough, starvation will. :cry:

Oh wait, I forgot - Super Barack will surely save us all! :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I read somewhere of some sort of premptive pressure relief, to negate catostrophic consequence.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Us left coast guys/gals already had the preemptive strike from Mt. St. Helens. Not as bad as everything dying, but you ever try and get rid of volcanic ash about 12+ deep? No fun.
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Girlfriend was in Puallup, said it ruined her windshield,sratched to the point of being unusable.
Does the jet not usually go west to east?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Any of ya'll up there and it lets go, just load up some ash and come on down here. We'll plow the ash into the garden and eat good til you can go back. :)
Ricky

DWWC
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

homefront wrote: Super Barack will surely save us all! :lol:
Ah yes. 'The Messiah' will save all mankind ImageImageImageImage

kimwcook wrote:Us left coast guys/gals already had the preemptive strike from Mt. St. Helens. Not as bad as everything dying, but you ever try and get rid of volcanic ash about 12+ deep? No fun.
No fun at all. I was 17 miles away from it when she let go. I thought that I would never be able to hike in the high country again due to the ash and almost moved.

JP
“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In Indianapolis, the sky turned a funny color and we got a little, super light dusting from that blast. That ash went around the world in less than a day on the jet stream.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I watched a show on Discovery channel on this a few years back. From what they can tell it has a 600K-800K year cycle. the last time it went off it caused a massive die off in North America no direct extinctions but really put a hurting on the planet's wildlife.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:I read somewhere of some sort of premptive pressure relief, to negate catostrophic consequence.
I do that now and again...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hobie, sometimes you come up with some that just kill me. :shock:
Old Law Dawg
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

California was buried under 1 1/2 miles of debris,debris was found in Nebraska & central america .The largest shield volcano is Mt Shasta.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

kimwcook wrote:Hobie, sometimes you come up with some that just kill me. :shock:
Can't promise THAT! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I live just down the raod from AshFall, the site where all the ash landed from the last Yellowstone eruption. The one that wiped out most of the life in the great plains. I was really interested when this was on Discovery and if it play out like last time I will have about 24 hours to move out or by suffocated by volcanic ash. Well maybe the wind will blow to the west for a change and, oh wait that would damage the CONDORS... What am I thinking!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

actually yellowstone is the killer deal when it pops off. the history channel had a good piece on it, and I think you can get video of it. there was a fiction disaster movie based on the premise, it was pretty good too.

the real BIG killer would be if cascadia and yellowstone let go at the same time. that would be a movie worth watching..... from the space station.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A friends father is a geologist, he asked him if it was going to be as bad as the tv made it out to be. He replied that that was the worst case scenario, it could do about anything from some earthquakes, to mild eruptions, to the worst case, or about anything in between.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Whatever the scale of eruption, things in life will change rather dramatically.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

As a geologist and geophysicist, I can tell you that anything is possible. The last time it went "big time" it laid down a couple of meters of ash over most of the intermountain west. I don't think most folks appreciate how big of a mess it could be if it were to really go bang. We as the US would have serious issues for decades and most of the world would be in a bad way due to the crop losses and the global cooling cycle from all of the ash in the air.

On the other hand, this could just be a little adjustment in the global state of stress and the only impact is some adjustment in the geysers.

Bob Smith would be the best to listen to. He was running the research on it back at Utah when I was in grad school there. He even wanted me to join his team but I stayed with Magnetics over Gravity. I am sure he has some comments on it.

I will take my family there this summer. I have a pragmatic attitude that if it were to go, you might as well be close in so it happens quick if you are anywhere in the intermountain west. I really am not worried though....
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Just another reason for me to finish laying in the year supply of foodstuff.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:I read somewhere of some sort of premptive pressure relief, to negate catostrophic consequence.
That's what shooting is for me - "preemptive pressure relief"! :lol:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

As long as everything is venting all is ok when it gets plugged we got a problem. danny
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hobie wrote:
Yep. Just lay on your belly and wait. :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

My worst fear would be losing Yellowstone National Park as we know it. My son and I went there for the first time last summer. The beauty and enormity was simply indescribable.

However, if it blows, we might actually get to see an elk in South Carolina! Maybe we will get a white Christmas for a change too!

At the very least, we will suddenly have our cure for global warming.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

If Yellowstone blows big time, the lucky ones will be in the Park when it happens.
Those of us a few hundred miles away will get the long, slow death.
This could happen around 3 o'clock this afternoon, or thousands of years from now.
Prepare for disaster in this life, but most importantly, prepare for eternal life.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It don't make for good television, but "they" also say that it could just sputter and vent off pressure or partially blow off.....No one knows. Hey, ALGOR knows how to prevent global warming, let's see how the big dummy does with global ashing :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Bogie35 wrote:My worst fear would be losing Yellowstone National Park as we know it. My son and I went there for the first time last summer. The beauty and enormity was simply indescribable.

However, if it blows, we might actually get to see an elk in South Carolina! Maybe we will get a white Christmas for a change too!

At the very least, we will suddenly have our cure for global warming.

bogie
Yellowstone Park as I knew it is already gone, and will not completely recover for another 400 years or so...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

B.O. scares me a whole lot more...........
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

pdawg.shooter wrote:B.O. scares me a whole lot more...........
A little soap and hot water will take care of that.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If this happens, do I have to put a tarp over my Cannabis plants? :lol: ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

I remember when St. Helens blew. The first time was about noon, everything went dark and the street lights came on. Then the ash started falling. It was eerie, like something out of a scifi movie. And this was in Portland, Oregon. To get rid of the ash my neighbors & I connected fire hoses to the fire hydrants and washed down the streets & sidewalks.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Good idea
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

As much as I enjoy the History and Discovery Channels, do they ever do anything but disaster and end of the world stuff? Living in Wyoming for the last 60 years we heard every story about the possibility of Yellowstone blowing. There is no question it could, but so could any other volcano along the ring of fire all along the Pacific. California could fall in the ocean and global warming could kill us all. Why worry about it. Personally I think someone will pull the trigger on nukes long before Yellowstone is a problem, or perhaps we will get hit by an asteroid, or. . . .

Did you ever notice how all the disasters seem to always affect or happen in the U.S.A.? I guess there is nothing going on in the rest of the world to worry about. . . . . .
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

If this happens, do I have to put a tarp over my Cannabis plants? :lol: ----------Sixgun
Just stand downwind of the garden! :lol:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jeff Quinn wrote:If Yellowstone blows big time, the lucky ones will be in the Park when it happens.
Those of us a few hundred miles away will get the long, slow death.
This could happen around 3 o'clock this afternoon, or thousands of years from now.
Prepare for disaster in this life, but most importantly, prepare for eternal life.
Amen.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jeffs absolutely right. If Yellowstone blows as it is thought to have done historically , there'll be no probability of survival in a 600 mile radious. Beyond that the initial survivability goes up, but life will likely be short and miserable.
Ashfall Nebraska, is one place they have the historic evidence of the devastation from the last time it went. They've got a bunch of animals smothered under feet of ash from it.
Northeastern Colorado, near Grover, Stoneham and New Raymer is the Stoneham hogbacks, which are a series of hogback ridges of giant boulders believed to be thrown there from one of Yellowstones eruptions.
One thing about it if it does go, there won't be any question about what to do about Bruce Babbits Canadian Grey Wolves. :)