Advice - which 44 magnum lever rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Advice - which 44 magnum lever rifle

Post by Jacko »

Gidday all , I hale from Queensland Australia . This is my first post and I am looking for advice to convince me I want my first lever action rifle or a H & R Handi rifle in .44 magnum , I was looking at a 45.70 but $3.00 a round is hard to justify to the missus . I can shoot a .44 magnum for 80 cents a round .

I have a few questions ,

I read some lever action rifles in this calibre have oversize bores , I am not likely to handload so which makes/ models is this an issue , was it only the Marlin and have they addressed this . I know the 08 manufacture Handi's have addressed this .

I was thinking a 20" barrel for a .44 magnum , waste of tube length with factory ammo or better off with a 16" barrel

What about cleaning , do I have too clean the barrel from the muzzle , would a boresnake be a better option than a rod banging about the muzzle crown .

How many rounds before I need to breakdown the rifle for cleaning the action .

Appreciate any input folks and fell free to through in any other info that you consider important .

regards Jacko
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Re: Advice - which 44 magnum lever rifle

Post by Jaguarundi »

Marlin 1894 vs H&R...The Marlin for me would be a excellent choice.By removing the lever and bolt the Marlin 1894 can be cleaned from the Breach end(use a strait slot screw driver- a Bevel ground Phillips will bugger them screws).As for oversize bores the Rossi Puma 92 imported into this country from Brazil had in the last few a years a bad run in 44 Mag.As to barrel length,that depends what you going to use the rifle for and matter of personal choice.Handling characteristics as to balance and shouldering the gun differ with barrel lengths.Just my 2 cents and food for thought.As allways checkout the article section for info http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxe ... n_1894.htm.All being said and done I own 2 Rossi Puma 92's both in 45 Colt.One is a SRC 20" and the other is 24" Octagon barrel rifle :D .The Winchesters and clones(Browning,Puma etc)are normally cleaned from the muzzle.A brass Bore guide will protect the muzzle.These can be bought commercially or simply made from a unprimed brass bottleneck cartridge empty(303,30-30 etc)cut below the shoulder like a funnel to protect the crown.But for a newbie to leverguns I highly recommend the Marlin 1894 for out the door quality and customer service.Welcome to the fire and stay awhile!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for the link Jaguarundi , answered plenty of questions for me and started me thinking - I had considered the 45 colt as it is cabable of delivering a bigger wallop than the .44 . But I figured the .44 magnum would be a better propositiion as I am not sure on handloading , cost of reloading gear is the biggest factor . I will definatly look into handloading now , perhaps a simple Lee Hand loader and do a little more research on available factory loads in both calibres to get me started .

regards Jacko
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Your welcome.I reload 45Colt and own three ruger revolvers so chambered also.The 45 colt shines with reloads and strong actions.Paco's article on 45Colt in lever's is excellent.http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm .But for non-reloaders the 44 mag chambering is the hands down the better option.The Rossi Puma Rifles are hit and miss as to quality.The Ruger revolvers can have tight chamber throats.With my gunsmithing ed background neither firearms presented a problem that I couldn't remedy. A Modern Browning/Winchester 92 would be a better choice if money wasn't a problem.A properly fitted and tuned Winchester 1892 or clone is the slickest leveraction in my opinion. 8)But for ease of scope mounting(and even receiver peep sight mounting) a Marlin 1894 has that covered nicely.I prefer opensights on my firearms.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The most available are the Puma and the Marlin. Pumas seem to be a mixed lot and over the past decades have been made by various sources, so I wonder about parts availability and interchangeability. Having said that, I've owned several Pumas and never had to replace ANY parts. Handy little guns. Some rough spots and gaps finish-wise, but after I've banged them around a few months :oops: they all look the same anyhow.

Less available models are around - Henry's, Brownings, and 'real' Winchesters (no longer made :x ) and none of their owners seem to be disappointed, either, so if you pick one up and it 'feels' right, that may be a tie-breaker reason to choose that one over the other more common brands.

The Marlins are easier to clean (but you rarely need to clean them, honestly) and WAY easier to mount a scope on (but if you don't like scopes that is immaterial). Marlin parts seem to interchange easily and are readily available. They are ALSO easier to mount a peep sight on youself, but a gunsmith can do one on the Puma pretty inexpensively, and even I managed to do it myself this summer - and I'm a tool-klutz!

Hard to see anything wrong with the .44 Mag or .45 Colt, and if you ground off the labeling on the gun, and didn't let the shooter handle the ammunition, I'll bet nobody could tell which they were shooting, if loaded to similar power levels. .44 Mag ammo is usually full power, but light loads are available, and you can shoot .44 Special in it which is really light. .45 Colt ammo is usually lighter power, but heavy loads are available from a few sources. ALL of it is pretty expensive these days; non-jacketed ammo is cheaper, but can 'lead-up' your gun (I've not had that problem, but happens sometimes).

If you had to use it for self defense I suppose a .45 Colt would 'look better' since it isn't a 'magnum' - but on the other hand if you ever have to use a gun for self defense and it has ANYTHING other than 'normal' factory loads in it, the prosecuting attorney will make you sound like a psycho Rambo-wannabe. Mild 'cowboy' loads for the .45 Colt would still do just fine for self defense though, even if you handloaded for other purposes.

If you get a 'bigger' long gun, the .44 Mag shares bullets with the .444 Marlin, and the .45 rifles like the .45-70 don't share bullet diameters with the .45 Colt, although it isn't that hard to inventory and process two sizes. If you get a handgun, both are available in many configurations, although the .44 Mag probably less costly and a bit more available in double action variations you'd want for self defense most likely.

Reloading - I reloaded THOUSANDS of rounds on a little $20 Lee kit - the one you only need a wooden mallet for. (I used a broken hatchet handle). For a straight-wall case, shot in the same gun, reloading can be really cheap - and drop your cost by about fifty cents per round at today's prices! Thus, that first 500 rounds will save you more than enough to buy lots of reloading gear.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd go with a Marlin in 45 Colt - like their cowboy. I have one and it is an awsome levergun. I used it for cowboy action shooting and would shoot 600 or more rounds through it - just adding a bit of lube every so often, before taking it down for a cleaning. This was with hard cast bullets going 1000 fps from the rifle (250 grain and 7 grians of W231).

The 45 Colt gives you much more top end than the 44 Mag as the leverguns are rifled with faster twist rates that can handle up to 360 grain bullets if you want to go that heavy. A 300 grain hard cast bullet at 1450 from the levergun is a great hunting round - 1400 ft. lb.s of energy and deep penetration.

If you want to get into loading for not too much - I think your idea of a Lee hand press is a good one. Wouldn't recommend that for a rifle cartridge but a straight sided pistol cartridge should be just fine.

That $27 kit and a set of carbide dies with do the trick. Oh, and you'll want a powder measure and scale too. I say powder measure because most handgun propellants meter very well through them. Recommend H110 or W296 for the heavy loads and W231 or Hodgedon Universal Clays for the lighter ones. Tight Group also is a good choice.

Bottom line: for $100 or less investment you can turn-out $6 per 50 quality handloads taylored to your rifle.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the forum, check with Steve about one of his 92's he is on this forum and has an add on this sites home page.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

O.S.O.K. wrote:The 45 Colt gives you much more top end than the 44 Mag
Is this true? I understand that a 45 Colt can equal the velocity of a factory loaded 44 Magnum cartridge when loaded in a strong revolver or in a Model 92 levergun. But, I'm not sure it can "give you much more top end" (whatever that is) than the 44 Magnum loaded in a Marlin 1894. I don't think the Marlin 1894 is as strong as a Ruger NMBH and it's certainly not as strong as NMBH converted to a five shot cylinder or Ruger Redhawk. So, if you would please, give me some specific head to head comparisons to back up the "much more top end" statement. I'd like to know. This is not a challenge; it's curiosity.

I think the .357 Magnum becomes a totally different cartridge when fired from a levergun instead of a handgun; the velocity gains in a levergun are substantial. The 44 Magnum cartridge exhibits a bit less velocity gain, and the 45 Colt even less. I don't have a lot of good information regarding the gains offered by the 45 Colt +P out of a levergun compared to a handgun. I hope you will share the ones you have.

Regarding Paco's loads; beware, beware, beware, some of his stuff is incredibly hot and can be unsafe in the hands of a novice handloader, which I assume Jacko is. If you are a novice handloader and want to graduate to Paco's loads before you've learned a lot about handloading, be sure to take some extra band aids and, perhaps, a roll of gauze.

Jacko, if you don't want to handload, buy the 44 Magnum. If you get close to your game and hit it in the right spot using the right bullet, the 44 Magnum will kill just as effectively as the 45 Colt. The difference of a few extra grains of bullet and a little bit of width between the two will matter not one bit. Now, if you take a long shot and hit it wrong, the few extra grains of bullet and little bit of width between the two will matter not one bit; you savvy?

The 45 Colt is a good one, and the 45 Colt +P is also a good one even though it is a different cartridge than the first, but except for romance and such it is not magical and may offer only marginal performance gains over the 44 Magnum when used in certain specific situations.

I want the Taylor's & Company M92, but it's offered in only 45 Colt and not 44 Magnum. If it were offered in 44 Magnum I'd not hesitate, but with 45 Colt I'm still uncertain. So Jacko, at the moment we are in the same boat, except that I already own rifles in both cartridges. Hopefully O.S.O.K will help us out with some specifics.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ditto on the Lee Hand Press. I full length resize 45-70 with it with no problem and just consider it a good workout for the chest :P I've been using the Lee Dippers for powder and do just about as good as the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and scales; A bunch faster, that's for sure. Don't buy ammo at todays prices, it's just too much unless you just shoot a box or two a year.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

First, get the marlin. it's a tough gun that is easy to clean and will perform well for you.

Next, while I am absolutely a .45 addict, but if you don't wanna reload, get a .44. It's pretty much on par with a hot loaded .45 until ya get to very heavy bullets, and will perform well with commonly available commercial ammo.

Enjoy.
Certified gun nut
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jacko,
I recently purchased a 1894 Marlin parts gun.
The holidays have interfered with my completing the project, but I will soon.
Will post pictures when done.
I have 3 .44 magnums all do well.
Even in this country ( with many .45 Colt fans ) .44 magnum is more plentiful and obtainable.
If you look back in the posts you should be able to find the parts gun
pictures I took, please excuse the slippers in the pictures, it is YK's fault.
He taught me to do that.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

It would be difficult to add much more meaningful advice to that which is already posted - good stuff. One of the considerations you might be entertaining for a barrel length is heft and feel (mentioned); also sight radius if iron sights, a small consideration; and transporting it, eg. getting the rifle in and out of a jeep, which would lend itself to the shorter barrel.

I ran some stats on QuickLoad for a Marlin .44 Magnum with a 240 gr. Hornady XTP bullet using a max safe load (per the Hornady manual) of 24.8 grains of H-110. The predicted velocity is shown below, albeit it is only a prediction, and varies from firearm to firearm:
16" barrel - 1708 fps
20" barrel - 1776 fps
That is less than 100 fps difference; only around 17 fps loss per inch. Again, this varies from firearm to firearm, from powder to powder, etc; but it is an indicator.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for all the reply's fella's , answering plenty of questions I have and plenty of background info . I have bowhunted for 30 plus years so even with firearms I like to see the whites of there eyes so to speak . This is why I decided on a big bore pistol cartridge . I have a .303 if I wanna shoot longer than 100 yards .

For interests sake down here we have had a minimum 20% increase in price for new shipments arriving for sale late January early february , I have priced a new manufacture Handi Rifle at $580.00 approx when they hit the shelves early february . No old stock in country in the calibres I want . I faint when I look at Henry lever action prices - well over a $1000 08 price ,old price for the Marlin 1894 is $949 , $1049 for the stainless and $639 for the Rossi Puma stainless - all in 44 magnum , if I want a 45 colt new price add minimum 20% = nearly $1200 . Price alone attracts me to the Puma but I hear so many conflicting reports and I am not a gambler . Knock a $100 off the old price if I bought a lever actioned 30 .30 , I have a 30 calibre already in my Lee Enfield . A Lee handloader last I enquired is about a $100 , $30.00 pound for powder and $49 for 100 45 calibre projectiles Vs $35 - $40 for 50 rounds of 44 magnum or 45 colt factory ammo , once fired cases are cheap per 1000 ?

I will look around for second hand but the prices are already marching up - they snap up the pistol calibres quick . Will go the quality route with a Marlin I feel

We had very restrictive firearms legislation introduced in 1996 and it takes weeks for a permit to aquire to be granted if I can prove I have a genuine reason to posses the new firearm so its not a matter of going out and getting whats available today

Thanks again ,

regards Jacko
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My old Rossi 92 is a fine old gun, hard to beat.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Idiot: The Marlin 94 is every bit as strong as the Ruger Blackhawk - probably even stronger, but the loads that I'd suggest are basically the Ruger BH level loads. In a 16" carbine, you can push a 300 grain 44 Mag to 1450 with 20.2 Grains of W296. The 45 Colt can push a 330 grain bullet in the same length barrel to 1449 with 18.5 Grains of Lil Gun. I didn't see loads listed for 360 grain bullets in a 16" barrel but I'd estimate around 1300 fps.

The thing is that the .44 Mags are rifled with slow twist barrels - for what reason I don't know - 1:38" last I checked. The 45 Colts are 1:18". So regardless of what velocity you can load the 44's to, the accuracy is likely to be less than stellar with the heavier bullets.

But regardless, the 45 Colt is .451" vs the .429" of the 44 Mag and the 45 Colt delivers 1540 ft. lb.s vs 1400 for the 44 Mag.

But really, I was talking about PRACTICAL top end since the 45 Colt will stabalize 360 grain bullets.

Anyway, that's the why behind my statement.

Jacko - given your last reply, I'd say go with the Rossi Puma in .44 Mag. They are good rifles and $1200 for a 45 Colt Marlin is just rediculous. Since you have a .303 Brit, a good 250 or 270 grain 44 Mag load will serve you very well for your close range hunting. And you can handload for the 44 Mag too. You may look into casting your own bullets too - especially if you can get free wheel weights from the tire shops...

Another thought - depending on what you plan on hunting, a good .357 Mag Puma will also be a great hunting rig. A 180 grain bullet at 1600 fps is a very good game getter and is a lot less expensive to reload... Just a thought.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

I do like what I have learned about of twist rate in the 44 magnum barrels , why manufacturers want to hamstring a cartridge is beyond me , when I think of big bore cartridges I want the choice for heavy thumping bullets that can shoot accuratly . None the less a 44 magnum does hold a lot of appeal and nothing light about a full power 240 grain load . I do like the versatility the 45 colt has to offer , hard call but for a months saving after I purchase the rifle I could buy the reloading gear I need for a 45 . In the meanwhile factory loads are pretty reasonably priced . I do note the report I read on the Marlin 1894 with how slick it feed all mannor of 45 colt ammo .

A mate of mine is in the process of buying a 357 lever rifle . I am impressed with the ballistics and in particular the cheap shooting that is possible with the 38 special / 357 magnum . I guess I've a big bore fetish as until now the 12 guage's SG's and solids has kept me happy but a 357 magnum is not out of the picture if I end up reloading .

The Rossi in 454 Cassul originally woke me up to the 45 colt as a cheaper alternative but I would buy a 45 .70 before a Casull as cost for factory ammo is similar - prohibitive !

:shock: You all got me thinking again Rossi Puma price is hard to pass over compared to Marlin / Henry . I can purchase reloading gear with the money saved over a Marlin . I recently met a bloke who owns a 24" 45.70 Marlin that is a joy to handle and another with a 44 magnum Marlin -AAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH :? - to many choices :D

I will post with what ever I buy early february .

regards Jacko
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I am thoroughly pleased with my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag. Accurate, feeds everything without fail. As to issues with the twist rate shooting bullets in excess of 300gr., that's what .45-70s are for. IMHO. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Here's is a interesting link on pistol calibers vs barrel length http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ 8).Results will very in different Barrels and Chamberings then the test subjects presented.Food for thought.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

claybob86 wrote:I am thoroughly pleased with my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag. Accurate, feeds everything without fail. As to issues with the twist rate shooting bullets in excess of 300gr., that's what .45-70s are for. IMHO. :)
I was just saying that's what the 45 Colt is for...

But do you get good accuracy with 300 grain bullets? I've read over and over that people don't. Every so often somebody indicates that they do get good accuracy, but then I have to wonder what they call "good"....

I call good accuracy 2" at 100 yards.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It IS kind of silly that a .444 Marlin twist is usually 1:20, but the .44 Mag is usually 1:38 - if anything, the old .44 Mags need a faster twist (to get the same RPM) since they shove the bullet a bit slower. And it isn't like the dimensions of the .444 lend themselves to loading huge/long bullets (if they were even available).

It's tempting to take a .444 Marlin barrel and get it put on a .44 Mag gun just to see what difference the 'ideal' twist would make.

Of course, like others have said - if you just HAVE to shoot heavy bullets, it is easier to get a .45 Colt than force the issue on a .44 Mag. Personally, I've yet to shoot anything with a 240gr soft point in .44 Mag that lived long enough to complain that I used a bullet that was too lightweight! But I don't live in Africa or Bear Country, and if I just had to kill something huge like an elk with a .44 Mag, I'd plan on using some pretty specialized bullets, and being close enough for perfect shot placement. (IMHO those two factors - bullet construction and shot placement - have way more effect than the marginal differences between velocities and weight and diameter we pontificate so enjoyably about.)

The biggest bummer here is that you live in a place where it is such a legal hassle to do anything gun-wise; where I live, you could go out and buy all three TODAY if you had the money, and if you didn't, you could buy one TODAY, shoot it for a week or two, and if you didn't like it, trade it to someone for one of the others, until you eventually got set up with what you wanted; you might own sixteen different leverguns in the space of a year or two before you settled on what you wanted. Leverguns forum members I think understand that, but the other 99% of apathetic U.S. gun owners have no clue, so we'll be right behind you guys and lose our firearms rights shortly.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Jaguarundi wrote:Here's is a interesting link on pistol calibers vs barrel length http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ 8).Results will very in different Barrels and Chamberings then the test subjects presented.Food for thought.
Excellent Excellent Excellent - rather extensive testing, shows that some velocities drop temporarily with longer barrels, for instance!

You can download the spreadsheets for permanent reference, among other things.

Thanks, Jaguarundi - saved in my archives.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

AJMD429 - I can not legally carry a pocket knife , In addition to a firearms licence I must have a catorgory M licence for my crossbow , M stands for miscelaneous . When government introduces a Miscelaneous licence I fear it's a matter of time before my traditional bows and hunting knives must be licenced also , the adgenda is to destroy the shooting sports , hunting and disarm the public . Of coarse there's the associated licence fee's and increased import taxes as well .

The appathetic folks better watch out as England joined Australia with onerous firearm restrictions , I am pretty sure Canada has toyed about the edges and you live in a society where increasing anti firearm political pressure has a foothold . As I understand it your bill of rights offers some protection but appathy is poor practice , give an an inch and your done .

Thanks for the ballistics link Jaguarundi , differances in firearms aside answered some more questions for me .

Been impressed with the advice folks , ready for an informed decision now - thanks

regards Jacko
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jacko,
It is a shame you have to work so hard for what should be a right.
Let us know if we can help with your accesories, perhaps we can buy it & ship it cheaper than you can import it.
I would be glad to help a kindrid spirit.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

WOW 8) :D Mescalero1 - I'm blown away with the generous offer . I really do not know how to thank you enough but unfortunatly the government has private importing of firearms and parts so tied up in red tape it is not a viable option ! Unfortunatly I must decline the kind offer . Transfer of ownership of private sale firearms must be done through a licenced gun dealer if you could get through the registration of the imported firearm , import restrictions and customs regulations .

What a top bunch of folks , your bloods worth bottling

regards Jacko
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I kind of figured on that, I was thinking molds, cases, etc. stuff that ( should ) be non-regulated.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Jaguarundi, thanks for the ballistics link. I've just crated up one of my Cowboy .45 Special marlins to have it chopped from 24 to 16.25". I'm thinking I might see a net GAIN in performance (even though it's main mission is CAS, I do carry it afield with loads in the .45 Super+P range (1400 fps with a 230 and Power Pistol in an ACP sized case). It'd be a hoot if the MV went UP with the 8" bob job ;)

(note: back on topic, I fully expect with the long cases like .44 mag and .45 Colt, loaded with slower powders, to see a peak at 20" barrel length)
Certified gun nut
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Just went and double checked , I need to obtain written permission from the Queensland weapons registory to import each firearm part or accesory and then talk with customs on the contents being imported and see what they require me to do with each item . Regulated - appreciate the offer again mescalaro1 .

I will have to handle a 16" and 20 " barreled rifle and see which points the best for me after looking at those ballistics figures . Realistically that small a differance in muzzle velocity will not make one bit of differance on game . I am more bugged with a rifle that shoots 4" groups at 50 yards , unfortunatly each firearm has it's individual accurate loads . As I will be putting a scope on the rifle I am not concerned with the sight radius .

regards Jacko
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

First off the current Puma's are made for LSI by Rossi. But that will end this year and LSI will import the Chiappa/Armisport as the Puma. (confusing huh?)

Anyway, the Puma or the Hartford 92's, both by Rossi, now have good .430 bores and 1-30 twist.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of the Armi Sport Chiappa 92's. They are a fine looking gun on the outside but the insides have issues.

If you can find one of the Browning B92's in 44mag you will have the finest 92 ever made. They are very much like the original but made with modern steel. Some folks feel the late model Win 92 is as good but I don't think so. Even though it was made by Miruko like the Browning it has way too many small delicate add-on lawyer parts that don't hold up well over time.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jacko,
Well we gave it a shot, thought we could ease your burden but it looks like your people were thorough in this regard ( the sad @#$%^&*( ).
Let us know when you make your decision, at least for now we can still give advice and moral support.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

IMHO you guys need to have some 'tea parties' down there. I have little tolerance for police state dictatorships, whether they call themselves 'Democracies' or whatever. Of course living in the U.S. I have little room to talk... :oops:

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Kinda funny post since the question was which levergun and you use the H&R as an oprion. Having had many H&R's (not all 44's) and the Win 94 Trapper in 44 mag, there is no comparison. The Win 94 has a faster twist than the Marlin, always had. For some reason Marlin never quite figured that out.

I traded my Trapper for a Marlin 1895GS and glad I did, but not because I didn't like the Winnie. I loved it but wanted a 45-70 more.

The Winnie would shoot 3 shot clovers at 50yds and factory white box 240gr loads, never tried it out farther.

The H&R's are plagued with overbore issues.

I cannot comment on the 45's mentioned, but their faster twist would be a big selling point to me. Bullets over 250gr need the faster twist. Some have gotten good accuracy up to 300gr with the Marlins, but most I think stop at about 250-270.

My Trapper was a pre safety, rebounding hammer AE model and I converted it to a half cock model. I had a Weaver K2.5 on it and it was a nice balance. I really do best with scopes regardless of the gun. Mine was reliable, accurate and light weight, perfect little woods gun out to 150 or so for deer and smaller critters.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

[quote="Jacko"]Gidday all , I hale from Queensland Australia . This is my first post and I am looking for advice to convince me I want my first lever action rifle or a H & R Handi rifle in .44 magnum , I was looking at a 45.70 but $3.00 a round is hard to justify to the missus . I can shoot a .44 magnum for 80 cents a round .

I have a few questions ,

I read some lever action rifles in this calibre have oversize bores , I am not likely to handload so which makes/ models is this an issue , was it only the Marlin and have they addressed this . I know the 08 manufacture Handi's have addressed this .

I was thinking a 20" barrel for a .44 magnum , waste of tube length with factory ammo or better off with a 16" barrel

What about cleaning , do I have too clean the barrel from the muzzle , would a boresnake be a better option than a rod banging about the muzzle crown .

How many rounds before I need to breakdown the rifle for cleaning the action .

Appreciate any input folks and fell free to through in any other info that you consider important .

Gday Jacko,
We must be near neighbours, I go go big time for the maroons. You cannot do better than a Marlin 44 mag. I have a Marlin Cowboy 24 inch barrel and its accurate to a fault. Cleaning is so easy, take your pick clean from muzzle with a guide, or remove the bolt and clean from the other end also with a guide. Shoots Winchester 240gr softpoints to a tee. But I use it for Cowboy action shooting with lead 240g Westcasting LFP projectiles, 8.5g of AP70 is a tack driver.In the States read Universal tis the same powder.
If your not gonna reload then Winchester 240g jacketed hollow points will do all you ask at moderate range, have taken pigs dingoes and very large roos with this load out to 150 yards. Do yourself a favour and learn to reload mate its so much cheaper and you will get the best accuracy from your rifle.

Regards
The Telegraphist
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hi Jacko and welcome to this fine establishment, socialism is doing very well under the flag of the union jack ain't it !

Some of our well meaning friends would have us believing that 44mag is going to bounce off critters, now it's your duty to provide photographic evidence that it don't bounce off stuff :D

Here in commie Britain I would have to be thrashed repeatedley with a stick to with in an inch of my life before the socialists would let me hunt with a 44mag levergun so promise me please to report about your goings with which ever carbine you choose :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Given your desire for the use of a scope, I'd go with the Marlin - they're just a lot better for scope mounting. And it saddens me to read about all of the restrictions and such. Rediculous.

I just hope that we have enough patriots here in the states to react if they try do pull that kind of thing here. Once you let it stand, well you know...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Given your desire for the use of a scope, I'd go with the Marlin - they're just a lot better for scope mounting. And it saddens me to read about all of the restrictions and such. Rediculous.

I just hope that we have enough patriots here in the states to react if they try do pull that kind of thing here. Once you let it stand, well you know...
They have already pulled that thing here. In California, you cannot purchase, own, use, or sell a folding lockblade knife, even for hunting, that has a blade longer than something like 4" (I don't recall the exact dimension); and you are extremely limited as to what handgun you can own unless it was legally owned by you before the Clinton era. e.g. One can no longer purchase a new .45 Colt ("Long Colt," not .45 ACP or .45 Auto Rim) single-action revolver; even one manufactured by Colt. The only exception is if you are lucky enough to find a fellow Californian who wishes to "transfer" his previously legal handgun to you with the help of a federally licensed gun dealer (which involves registration and additional fees).

That is the only way that I finally grabbed up my beloved Ruger Single-Action Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with a 10.5 inch barrel - ideal for hunting and target work (without any scope) for my aging eyes, due to its perfect distance between the sights.

The only "Department of Justice approved" .45 Colt caliber handgun in this state is the DOUBLE-action Ruger Super Redhawk. Although this is a fine handgun, it is certainly a far cry from the traditional single-action "Colt .45" that is a huge part of our national heritage, and which is still offered for sale in other states. And, bless Mr. Ruger's heart, that Ruger is as ugly as a mud hen with its oversized frame that extends into the barrel area.

So, at least in California, we have already proven that we are weenies to have allowed this to happen. And other states are following suit, starting with the most populated ones. Yes, something definitely needs to be done, especially in light of the new administration. I will stop here because I don't wish for this to be moved to the "political" section of our website; we need to be reminded that we don't have much to brag about over our British and Australian cousins.