Laid Off? Need work? Post it here and lets network!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Laid Off? Need work? Post it here and lets network!

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Guys, couldn't help but notice the number of members facing unemployment...

The last time I was out of a job, the new job came from a friend - through networking basically.

I'm thinking that if those that are in need post their occupation, skills, what they're looking for - general geographical area, etc. that maybe we can make some connections for them?

I figure it can't hurt to try and even if we only hook one member up, it'll be worth the time and effort.

So, those looking please start posting and lets see what we can do.

Also, if anybody knows of small businesses that people can do that don't require a lot of start up $$, then lets put those here too...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Laid Off? Need work? Post it here and lets network!

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm going to start with a small business idea primer.

For those who aren't aware, it is very easy to set-up your own retail web site. For example, Yahoo offers a service (one of many) for hosting your web sight. The set-up is step by step and you can easily maintain your own site with the software that they provide. The cost last time I did this was $16/month for the basic site.

Then, you select a shopping cart provider which will allow you to link them and they will process orders for you and generate reports back for you. They also can set you up with a credit card service provider.

Once you get started, you find that everything comes to you as you progress.

The site could be set up to sell specific shooting supplies that you manufacture in your home or shop. For example, blackpowder or even smokeless bullet lube. Muzzleloading patches of various diameters and thicknesses. Leatherwork - bags, slings, pouches, belts, holsters, etc.. Cast round balls or specialty cast smokelss bullets. All or some of these.

I don't know it this is a good recession business or not - but its one example of a business that can be started for very little expense on the front end.

-----------------------------------

OK, here's an idea for those in sales looking for work.

People have to eat right? Well the foodservice industry is going to keep going regardless - this is the non-retail side of the food industry. It services restaraurants, hospitals, schools, universities, contract feeders, relief feeders like the red cross, the military, etc., etc. - all food away from home.

The various distributors like Sysco, US Foodservice, PFG, Gordons, etc. all have large sales forces and they are almost always looking for new poeple. Now, to be up-front, this is a very competitve job that pays on commission. But there aren't many "go getters" in the job right now. The ones that do work and hussle do very well and the rest typically do fine but don't want to push and excell - partly because the company will split their territory if they do well - but those that have their terriotry split are valued because they grew the business for the company - and they end up in management if they continue to hussle.... like I said, a competitive situation but one that see's a lot of turn-over and so, has opennings...

People have to eat. These distributors are located everywhere - they have to be. You won't get rich but once you get into it, it's steady income.

If anybody is interested, I would be happy to help you "bone up" on this before you pursue it. I've been in this industry in sales for over 20 years and I know what they will want to hear in an interview -what will make them want to hire you.

----------
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

This sounds like a good idea to me if it will help even only a few on this forum.
Maybe it should be a thread that is listed seperately as was done with "Politics" then those in need could go straight there without having to search too much.
Just a thought.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Another idea.

The larger trucking compainies are always hiring and many will train.
It's a tough job. Especially being away from home so much but it's something to
think about.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a fantastic idea!!! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In my area, Fedex, UPS, and others are hiring for seasonal/continual work. also, the major contractor of highways and bridges, is always hiring and with the new govt looking to fix the infrastructure, this may be an opportunity too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks guys - and I did PM Hobie and asked him if we could maybe sticky this... to start with. If it grows maybe a new forum. I don't know how that affects bandwidth, cost to the board, etc... a sticky would be nice for now.

Good input so far!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In the Tacoma area, Mountain Mist Bottled Water is interviewing for drivers.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I looked at the Worcester Telegram and Gazette Sunday edition. The classified section was the smallest I had ever seen. As a rule it is four to six pages deep. I saw one page. It seemed most of the work was in trucking and certain skilled trades such as plumbing and electrical. Not much else.

I like the idea of a website to sell things. I am unsure of what I can sell but I would like to do something on the side. I am on a fixed income and somewhat glad being in a state with an unemployment rate of greater than 10 percent. But the pay could be better.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

bigbore442001 wrote:I looked at the Worcester Telegram and Gazette Sunday edition. The classified section was the smallest I had ever seen. As a rule it is four to six pages deep. I saw one page. It seemed most of the work was in trucking and certain skilled trades such as plumbing and electrical. Not much else.

I like the idea of a website to sell things. I am unsure of what I can sell but I would like to do something on the side. I am on a fixed income and somewhat glad being in a state with an unemployment rate of greater than 10 percent. But the pay could be better.
Most people go with something that interests them or that they have some special skill with. But you can do this entirely through a company set up to facilitate the whole thing - that's what most of those "work at home" deals are - you basically set up a retail web site and select what you want to sell from a "catalog" of sorts and then just monitor the purchases and handle the customer service aspects of the transactions - the company providing the service actually ships the products for you and provides reports. Not the most profitable way to do it but it does take most of the risk and hassle out of the process... But these are limited to "normal" merchandise - could be electronics, clothing, sporting goods, tools, ect.

The highest profit will be for items that you make yourself and sell, or for specialty items that you source yourself - like maybe flashlights or "heirloom" seeds, etc..

A key to success is getting your site setup so that your business pops up on the search engines - and yahoo and the like will offer this as a service for a fee of course.

---------

Hobbie and AmBraCol - thanks for making this a sticky!

I hope it does some good. :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

2ndovc wrote:Another idea.

The larger trucking compainies are always hiring and many will train.
It's a tough job. Especially being away from home so much but it's something to
think about.

jb 8)
I'm a driver for Conway Freight based in Joplin, MO. I've been driving since 2002 and can attest that OTR (over the road) is a tough road to travel for the man or woman who has a spouse and/or children. But if it's a matter of eating and paying bills then you do what you've got to do. And though the major trucking companies do offer training, it usually requires staying with them a minimum of one year before they "forgive" the cost of training. After a driver has a year of safe driving under his/her belt then it becomes easier to find employment with better outfits. And though it's sometimes difficult to hire on with a small, local outfit because of the insurance requirements finding a job that gets a driver home nightly is possible.

This following URL will take you to my company driver's forum where you can look around and get a feel of what it's like to be a driver.

http://www.conwaydrivers.com/phpbb2/index.php
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i have all kinds of work but the local news keeps telling me that we are in a recession
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I am seeing all kinds of post about guys losing their jobs - the heaviest hit seems to be the building industry (no suruprise) but also other manufacturing and such.

There's always some turnover but I have noticed a big increase - no kidding. And I've seen it here too.

You guys that are looking for work - please don't hesitate. You never know when somebody here might have a lead on the kind of job you want.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

http://www.unionpacific.jobs/careers/apply/index.cfm
Plz ask me for any help. I don't know if we are still hiring but put in an app.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

The hiring process is long, but....

Law Enforcment agencies across the country are hurting for good people. I would LOVE to see more gun savvy, Pro-Second Amendment folks applying. It used to be most LEO's were familiar with firearms, but these days ,more and more people getting into this field have NEVER handled or fired a BB gun.

Locally, the Lake County Sheriff's Department is hiring both graduates from Police Academies and entry level Correctional Officers. I've worked both and some may dis-agree, but time in the jail is priceless for what you'll learn about criminals and how they operate. Some people talk down about Security Personnel, Probation Officers, Correctional Officers, and Reserves, but every single part of the JUSTICE system relies on all branches working as one. As far as I'm concerned, all branches of law enforcement are equal and are working towards the same goals. At least that's the way it should be viewed.

Anyway.....It's a pretty secure field with decent benifits. It's tough to get hired, but if you have a clean record (as I'm sure most everybody on THIS forum does) and are motivated, the jobs are there for the taking.

E-mail me if you have any questions about the local S.O. or if I can help in any way.

All the Best to You and Your's this Christmas Season,

Mike
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

LE unfortunately is a growing field. I think it's only going to get worse. My oldest, a female, took 3 years in the local jail as a CO and is now the assistant to the warden in a Md prison. She will graduate next June from the Univ. of Md with a degree in criminal science. She is set for life in this career.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Hey guys I'm going on my first post surgery job interview today at 1 p.m. I had been applying since way before my surgery and got a call from the County of Honolulu interviewing for a Building Inspector position. I did explain my back surgery situation and that my recovery isn't due until April but they said come in anyways for the interview, if they select me that I can start when I'm able. I still have to wear my body brace and use a cane so hope that doesn't turn the interviers off too much even though I did prep them for this. I'd appreciate any prayers to a good outcome, I know whatever their decision is it will be according to GOD's will so I will accept it. Thanks guys! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ji - you have them. Prayers up and good luck!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Argh, this position was for wastewater branch inspecting sewer lines which I have no experiance in besides residential sewers so if I don't get the position I'm fine with that. Interview went smooth though my I had to confess my experiance in construction is limited residential, and marine. :mrgreen: Thanks for the support. :wink:
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If anyone wants to refer a group for a hunt I will gladly pay you a cash commission. Short term, up to a couple hundred bucks so I don't have to issue a 1099. Just call me and tell me who to contact. If they book - a check will head your way.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Tanker Yankers with winter and mountain expereince who would wish to relocate for a while will find themselves in demand here in the Arctic. The pay is remarkably good right now. The fuel haul to Prudhoe is pulling drivers from the general freight pool so that market is opening up also. Good place to start to get experience on "the road" (necessary to get pinned to a tanker with most companies servicing the North Slope)

God's Grace to all as things unfold.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Coldfingers wrote:Tanker Yankers with winter and mountain expereince who would wish to relocate for a while will find themselves in demand here in the Arctic. The pay is remarkably good right now. The fuel haul to Prudhoe is pulling drivers from the general freight pool so that market is opening up also. Good place to start to get experience on "the road" (necessary to get pinned to a tanker with most companies servicing the North Slope)

Scotty
Snow and cold are four letter words. I prefer to stay south of 37°N. :lol:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Coldfingers wrote:Tanker Yankers with winter and mountain expereince who would wish to relocate for a while will find themselves in demand here in the Arctic. The pay is remarkably good right now. The fuel haul to Prudhoe is pulling drivers from the general freight pool so that market is opening up also. Good place to start to get experience on "the road" (necessary to get pinned to a tanker with most companies servicing the North Slope)

Scotty
Scotty,

Do they hire any new drivers? I've only run big trucks off road, as well as Big dump trucks, up to Cat 773.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Scotty
Scotty, I've got the experience you mentioned, and I do have tanker endorsement, but no hazmat at this point. I've done the cross country hauling with dry vans and flatbed, and plenty of tankers with local gov't. I was hauling mail between Memphis and Roanoke Va. one or two runs a week until MTI laid off the part time drivers when the fuel shot way up last March. Do you get a recruitment bonus? I've got some questions if I may p.m. you. Thanks and merry Christmas, Slimster.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

on AOL today: 10 companies that are hiring: http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/5-companies ... NLprim0001
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

slim...pm or email as you wish <revscotty@mosquitonet.com> Alot of the work is up the Haul Road and that is it;s own can-0-worms. (that is the route featured in that silly "most dangerous jobs" series) Gotta get working on the hazmat NOW slimster!. Plenty of general freight till the hazmat comes in. As a general rule, most companies like a feller to have several seasons on the Haul Road till they pin you to a tanker (for reasons that will become clear your first full season) but, there is ample oportunity to move fuel between Valdeze and Fairbanks. The big bucks, of course, are on the haul road.

Travis...at least for the time being, almost any experience will get one into a truck :o but you could also check with some of the companies on the North Slope...I know a few fellows that fly up from thier homestate, work three weeks out in the oil patch and then fly home for three weeks. Camp life but the pay is in the 70,000 per year bracket (not bad for three on/three off) There are also several large mines working (or being developed) that use the BIG dumpers (Fort Knox, Pogo, Red Dog)

DBW...it is only like that for nine or ten months, whats the worry? :lol: Insulated Carharts and Chains (lots o chains :wink: )
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Coldfingers wrote:slim...pm or email as you wish <revscotty@mosquitonet.com> Alot of the work is up the Haul Road and that is it;s own can-0-worms. (that is the route featured in that silly "most dangerous jobs" series) Gotta get working on the hazmat NOW slimster!. Plenty of general freight till the hazmat comes in. As a general rule, most companies like a feller to have several seasons on the Haul Road till they pin you to a tanker (for reasons that will become clear your first full season) but, there is ample oportunity to move fuel between Valdeze and Fairbanks. The big bucks, of course, are on the haul road.

Travis...at least for the time being, almost any experience will get one into a truck :o but you could also check with some of the companies on the North Slope...I know a few fellows that fly up from thier homestate, work three weeks out in the oil patch and then fly home for three weeks. Camp life but the pay is in the 70,000 per year bracket (not bad for three on/three off) There are also several large mines working (or being developed) that use the BIG dumpers (Fort Knox, Pogo, Red Dog)

DBW...it is only like that for nine or ten months, whats the worry? :lol: Insulated Carharts and Chains (lots o chains :wink: )

I you could e-mail the contact info for those mines, I'd really appreciate it. I've had no luck, thus far, just trying to find mines via the internet, then e-mailing my resume.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Travis

Two to get you started

Fort Knox Gold Mine
PO Box 73726
Fairbanks, AK 99707
(907) 488-4653

Teck-Pogo
3520 International St
Fairbanks, AK 99701
907-455-8325

Also www.ch2m.com/corporate/work_with_us/careers/ These are the folks that took over VECO operations on the North Slope (VECO of the infamous buying up senators to influence oil exploration scandal...job security at it's best you know)

Good Luck in your search
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Thanks! I dunno if Alaska's far enough away from Kansas, or not, but I'm sure my wife will be just fine here.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Travis...hard to break into the CH2MHill jobs but worth a try. I just can't adjust to the camp life nor the boredom...them fellers don't realy work all that much. We joke that they mostly sleep untill they are hungry then eat untill they are tired. A twleve hour shift of sitting in a pickup truck trying to stay out of sight in the oil patch would bore me stupid.

Much prefer the excitement of the Haul Road. Just quit a job because they wanted to keep me around town or pounding pavement between here and Valdeze. Move into old Western Star warhorse day after Christmas to resume duty on the Dalton. I may not be very smart, but I know what I like doing.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Coldfingers wrote:DBW...it is only like that for nine or ten months, whats the worry? :lol: Insulated Carharts and Chains (lots o chains :wink: )
It's bad enough that I married a Canadian gal and have been dealing with coming up here for the past four years where the winter in Sudbury last six months. At least she keeps me warm. :wink:

By this time next year, Lord willing, we'll be doing Christmas in Oklahoma. :)
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Coldfingers wrote:Travis...hard to break into the CH2MHill jobs but worth a try. I just can't adjust to the camp life nor the boredom...them fellers don't realy work all that much. We joke that they mostly sleep untill they are hungry then eat untill they are tired. A twleve hour shift of sitting in a pickup truck trying to stay out of sight in the oil patch would bore me stupid.

Much prefer the excitement of the Haul Road. Just quit a job because they wanted to keep me around town or pounding pavement between here and Valdeze. Move into old Western Star warhorse day after Christmas to resume duty on the Dalton. I may not be very smart, but I know what I like doing.

WTF is "CH2MHill jobs"? I'm mostly looking at equipment operator jobs because I had my spine fused last may, and am not anywhere close to being ready to go back to shoeing horses or doing ranch or outfitter work.

That, and making over $20/hr for sitting on your butt and trading dirt jokes over the radio while driving a Tonka truck with tires over 6 ft. tall don't suck!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Travis...CH2MHill is a company that provides service to the oil companies on the North Slope. All kinds of jobs that would suit you. Pay is almost double what you think is good :wink: and they are "working" 7/12's. I always eat at their camps when I am in Prudhoe...especially on steak night, prime rib night, and shrimp night...the other nights aint bad either :lol:

I know a number of fellers who spend 90% of their on duty time watching movies, knitting, reading, pfiddlepharting around in a pickup truck getting paid a whole lot of money for just being avaliable by radio "just in case"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The wife and I haven't been getting along, so, as I was cooking dinner, I mentioned this conversation, and the possibility of going to Ak.. She sounded disappointed. .... then went over to the neighbors' "for a minute" ... 2 hours ago. I don't understand that girl. If I'm around, she wants nothing to do with me, and runs off to the neighbors' or her folks' house... If I go somewhere, she calls me nonstop. darned idiot.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Looks like we're getting something done here :)

Mike - that top ten hiring companies is a great find! All kinds of jobs listed - sales, engineering, construction, etc.

Alaska.... that'd be a big change from Texas that's for sure!

What about getting your pilot's license and flying the bush up there? Is that in demand still? Or does it go with the economy...?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

OSOK...certainly one of those in demand jobs...AK is one of those roadless kind of places. More runway hacked out of the bush than road I bet if a feller measured em up. The problem lies with the "experience" issue. AK has pretty steep bumps in the learning curve. That old sayaing "there are old bush pilots, and there are bold bush pilots, but there are NO old, bold bush pilots" I have a good friend who is very busy right now flying #1 fuel to villages in the Barrow area. Very demanding, feast or fammine work. Truckin is better...at least when I slide backwards down a mountain side, I am in one piece (initially at least) and when I slam into a blinding whiteout, I am already on the ground.

For the time being at least, having a CDL in the pocket is not a bad idea. I had read an article that predicted a huge shortfall in longhaul drivers over the next five-ten years. The kids with baggy pants and jewlry stuck to various body parts just are not filling the bill. It took me a while to work up the nesessary experience when I "retrained" five years ago, but now I am setting pretty good. Have two interviews later today but will be headed north day after Christmas for a company I used to drive for with the offer that I can stay as long as I want or get something different if I wish. No strings attached, they just need competent drivers now.

My best to all and a very Merry Christmas. God Bless one and all.

Scotty
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

I'm one of those who is need of work, been looking for just about a year and things are real thin in this area, central South Carolina. I had to spend most of 2007 in WV taking care of my terminally ill parents so my last employer let me go when FMLA ran out.Got back here last Dec. and started looking real hard in Feb.. Only offers i've had where either not enough money to live on or too far away to be profitable. Getting ready to start some part time stuff in the ineventory field, better than nothing. Been living on wifes teacher salary and benefits, money I got by selling my hunting property back in WV and selling quite a few guns.
I am a purchasing agent/buyer, inventory control. warehousing and forklift operator. Many years of experience in all these areas, might be part of the problem I am 53 years old . If anyone hears of anything I'd appreciate a holler.
Thanks
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

loader wrote:I'm one of those who is need of work, been looking for just about a year and things are real thin in this area, central South Carolina. I had to spend most of 2007 in WV taking care of my terminally ill parents so my last employer let me go when FMLA ran out.Got back here last Dec. and started looking real hard in Feb.. Only offers i've had where either not enough money to live on or too far away to be profitable. Getting ready to start some part time stuff in the ineventory field, better than nothing. Been living on wifes teacher salary and benefits, money I got by selling my hunting property back in WV and selling quite a few guns.
I am a purchasing agent/buyer, inventory control. warehousing and forklift operator. Many years of experience in all these areas, might be part of the problem I am 53 years old . If anyone hears of anything I'd appreciate a holler.
Thanks
loader - sounds like you are "location fixed". Is that true? Where exactly are you? I'll see if any of my customers have anything near you, and put the word out. As you note, slim pickin's in many parts of SC unfortunately... Good luck!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I would suggest checking with Sysco, US Foods, PFG and any other foodservice distributors - they are listed in the yellow pages or do a google for them. They are always looking for buyers, logistics people, etc. - people have to eat, so it should be steady. Hope that helps. Merry Christmas!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

Ysebal, Yes I am sort of location fixed wife likes where she is and only has a few years till she gets full retirement. Not to mention that my home is paid for. I am about halfway between Sumter and Florence about 45 miles east of Columbia. would like to keep commute to under 60 miles each way or so if possible. Any help or heads up would be much appreciated.

O.S.O.K., Been checking food warehouses distribution centers, they are slow also it seems. Spent first 14 years of my working life in the food distribution business.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

TM,
That don't sound good.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

loader wrote:Ysebal, Yes I am sort of location fixed wife likes where she is and only has a few years till she gets full retirement. Not to mention that my home is paid for. I am about halfway between Sumter and Florence about 45 miles east of Columbia. would like to keep commute to under 60 miles each way or so if possible. Any help or heads up would be much appreciated.

O.S.O.K., Been checking food warehouses distribution centers, they are slow also it seems. Spent first 14 years of my working life in the food distribution business.
Loader, I'll look. I'm in the chemical industry, which is also pretty slow.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

mescalero1 wrote:TM,
That don't sound good.
No kiddin'. I suggested she start smoking pot.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Who knows, maybe it will mellow her out.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Gentlemen,

I am another one of the folks looking for employment.
Last edited by thornblom on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

C'mon guys - anybody have something for Dave? I'm thinking that there's bound to be something in Texas - Corpus Christi or east of Houston...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'll make a suggestion for those who might be looking for a new field. If you're just a bit computer savvy, and willing to learn, you might want to look into training to be a court reporter.

Unemplyoed last year at age 55, I combed the Southeast for jobs -- applied for over 200 for which I was qualified. Out of 200 apps, I got exactly one interview. Although it was never voiced, it was clear to me where most of the problem lay -- why take on a 55 year-old guy when one 25 or 30 could be had? It was clear I needed to look in another direction, and at just the right time my attorney brother-in-law suggested court reporting. I really didn't know much about it, but I decided to look i to it.

Basically, there are two types of court reporting -- official and private, or freelance. Official CRs are public employees and work for the court that hires them. Usually they are forbidden to work on the side, but here in SC they make decent salaries, have fantastic benefits, and work great schedules. Freelance CRs take depositions for attornies, make verbatim records of certain meetings for corporations and organizations, provide close-captioning services and "instant transalation " into text for deaf students, churchgoers in big churches, etc., etc. Rush Limbaugh uses a CR to provide him with a text onscreen of callers' words, just in case his electronic ear fritzes out on him. Nationwide there is PLENTY of work.

Requirements for being a CR vary from state to state. California, I think, requires that CRs be stenotypists, but most states will now accept voice reporters. Stenotypists require, on average, four to five years training before achieving proficiency. You can get there in voice reporting in six months. Most if not all states require a CR to be a notary public. In SC thiis is simple -- fill out a form and mail it and $20 to the Sec. of State.

I am 5.5 months into my 6-month course, and I have been working freelance for over a month now. As a novice, I am getting plenty of business and making an average of $15 per hour. I know that in many areas, that's not much. But here, it's decent if not great. However, here's the thing: I gain proficiency, efficiency, and speed with every job. Thus, the hourly pay goes up. As the real time-burner is producing the written transcript, I have contacted two professional transcriptionists, and within the next six weeks or so I will be contracting with them to carry most of that load. It may sound crazy, but the potential of netting $100K+ a year in this is very, very real.

To top it all off, it is fascinating work. You get to meet some very interesting people, be "in the know" on a lot of issues that no one else ever hears about, and you are treated everywhere as a skillled and unbiased professional well worth his fee.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Very interesting. What did you do previous to this?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

loader - fedex is hiring in my area, perhaps you could check with them in your area. Here they are hiring for area they load the trucks at a good wage and benefits.
Mike Johnson,

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

bbleverfan wrote:i have all kinds of work but the local news keeps telling me that we are in a recession
You must be a cop,doctor,undertaker,bartender,or preacher?
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/