Question for Marlin XLR owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Question for Marlin XLR owners

Post by AJMD429 »

Up until today, I'd only handled ONE Marlin XLR, which I wound up purchasing a year ago. The dovetail which anchors the magazine tube under the barrel was very loose, and I was under the impression that this was actually intentional, as one of the 'accurizing' things they did. It panned out, as that .35 Remington (with factory loads) did really well.

This year, I decided I just HAD to have a .444 Marlin, and being a stainless nut, and happy with the .35 Remington one, got the XLR again.

This one's magazine tube anchor has a very snug, immobile, dovetail. I haven't shot it yet (just picked it up and when I got home anxious to shoot it wound up having to spend several hours car-rescuing), and won't tinker with it if it is accurate, but was just curious - are ALL the XLR's loose there? Maybe the .35 Rem had the 'problem' and not this one!

If it goes bang and is more accurate than I am (which is likely) I won't really care, but I was just curious...

(...and YES, I will post a 'range report' and pics once weather & time permit...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question for Marlin XLR owners

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Why couldn't Marlin have started making stainless rifles when everyone else did? I would have waited if I had known they would go stainless. Now I'm "stuck" with some blued beasts. I even prefer the laminated wood, too.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The dovetail at the magazine tube anchor IS supposed to be loose as an accurizing trick with the XLR and the MX. My MX is that way also. It seems to be captive and cant come out of the dovetail. It sure is a good shooter.
I have read the above in magazines also. :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:Why couldn't Marlin have started making stainless rifles when everyone else did? I would have waited if I had known they would go stainless. Now I'm "stuck" with some blued beasts. I even prefer the laminated wood, too.
I'm hoping they'll start making the XLR in walnut/blue.

But if not I might get one and try painting it camo like JReed showed us. That's a neat idea.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't think it matters anyway. I've had two of the 1894 Cowboys and when straight out of the box the dovetailed hangers were tight. Within a 100 or so rounds both started loosening up.

I don't think it's an accuracy thing, I just think it's the weight of the magazine, cartridges, spring and stuff banging up against that hanger that loosens 'em up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have an MX that has a loose hanger and a MXLR that has a tight one. Both shoot extremely well.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have an XLR rifle in each caliber they've made so far and to be honest I've never noticed the hanger being loose or tight on any of mine .
I just take them out the box mount a scope and shoot ! Then kill a deer and put them away .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

My Guide Gun (GS) which I have more or less converted to an XLR configuration had a rigid magazine tube anchor. Your best bet would be to query Grizzly Custom Guns or Brockman's, et al. Ask what they do when they customize Marlins.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

For those of us (me, especially) who didn't know there was a difference, what's different about the XLR, as opposed to any other stainless Marlin?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

The MXLR came out when they introduced the new Leverevolution rounds. It is a matt stainless with 24" barrel and 2/3 rd's magazine with a laminated stock. The MX is blued w/ 22" barrel and 2/3 rd's magazine with walnut wood. Both are ballard rifling.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Thanks for the help, Bruce.

Alexis de Tocqueville