Holster tutorial, Part 1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Holster tutorial, Part 1

Post by kimwcook »

I gave some thought to the holster tutorial suggested on the other thread about leathermakers and I decided to do it. Bear with me as I go through the process. I don't have it finished, so I'll post it in parts as I go along making it.

Like I said I start off with a big brown paper grocery bag.

I cut the seams of the bag and lay it open.

I lay the pistol top center on one of the long straight seams.

With the pistol laid on it's side, I find my length and width. I then trace what I want the outside of the holster to look like. I like old style holsters and this one will be a slim jim style in cross draw.

Here's the roughed out sketch with the revolver lying on top of it showing the approximate amount of clearance around it I think it needs.

Here's the finished pattern laid out.

This shows the back of the holster where the belt loop will be attached.

Same picture only showing the belt loop off to the side.

The piece of 10-12 oz. leather I'll be using for the holster. I'll transfer the pattern onto the leather with a pencil. I don't use anything more permanent that that because sometimes I'll show through the finished product along the edge.

I'm showing the pattern lying on the leather.

Pattern transferred to the leather. Sorry about the pattern showing up so light. But, that's the way it is.

A closer picture of the pattern on the leather.

Tonight I'll try and get another section done. I didn't get much sleep last night so I'll see how far I get. Stayed tuned for the next installment.
Old Law Dawg
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Holster tutorial, Part 1

Post by 20cows »

Well done!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Woohoo! I love learning new things! :mrgreen:
kimwcook wrote:Here's the finished pattern laid out.
What are the "V" lines for?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

awp101 wrote:Woohoo! I love learning new things! :mrgreen:
kimwcook wrote:Here's the finished pattern laid out.
What are the "V" lines for?
The lines are where I put the money belt on that I wear and placed the holster up against it to find the angle I was looking for. Obviously, the belt loop goes on the back of the holster, but I could only mark the outside of it as it was lying against the belt. I put the lines on it where the belt loop will be stiched and transferred the lines to the back where the actual loop will go.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If a long tongue is added to the original paper pattern (and later transferred to the leather), the belt loop can be made integral with the back of the holster, and not be a extra piece.

The tongue can then be shaped and cut to it's final length & it's tip sewn to the holster back later, just before the holster pouch is sewn together.

That same tongue may also be made longer and wider than the holster pouch, to go over a cartridge belt and wrap sround the holster body by slipping the sewn-together holster pouch into some slits cut partially across the rear flap.
That's what gives you a holster with the integral straps across the face.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pete44ru is right. But, with this holster being such a severe cross draw I elected not to have what would amount to a double loop on the back piece. The tops of this holster are rather tall, as most Slim Jim style are. If I'd of taken the top of the back and folded it over for the belt loop it would of either been really short on the back, not giving me the protection of a flap between the revolver and myself, or there would of been a double loop and it wouldn't of looked as aesthetically pleasing and there would be a layer of leather that would be pushing on my belly. That's why I decided to make the belt loop a separate piece. I do roll the back top over that for holsters that are close to a straight hang off the belt. I'll post a picture of that type of holster tonight to show how that's done if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

excellent post i look forward to the remaing pieces
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"The piece of 10-12 oz. leather I'll be using for the holster. I'll transfer the pattern onto the leather with a pencil. I don't use anything more permanent that that because sometimes I'll show through the finished product along the edge. "

IMHO, 10-12 oz is a bit on the heavy side, even for the FA Casull. 9-10 oz is usually sufficient, as well as being more uniform in thickness. Have made scores of holsters for those behemoths over the years, and so far, they're all still workin'...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

BTT
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bump and a question, do y'all prefer your holsters to be open at the muzzle end or closed? I can see an argument for each method.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Historically it's correct either way. Although a toe plug is really nice when you're hunting and sit down somewhere and the end of your holster, especially with a long bbl., hits the dirt, snow, whatever. It protects your muzzle from getting plugged up with gunk.
Old Law Dawg