Questions on the .308 Marlin Express

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Questions on the .308 Marlin Express

Post by nralover »

I am kicking around the idea of buying a .308 Marlin (walnut/blued of course), but I have several questions. As I understand it, Hornady hasn't made Leverevolution bullets available as a component. Is this true? Do they ever plan on doing so? For now I will assume not- which brings me to more questions. Has anyone tried loading .308MX with standard flat point bullets? Are there any powders suitable for this round? If anyone has reloaded with flat point bullets, can you give me an idea of real world velocities with 150 grain bullets from a 22" barrel? I am checking into this so I know if I have an alternative should Hornady cease to make ammo for these rifles. Any help would be appreciated... NRA
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Questions on the .308 Marlin Express

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Hornady IS releasing their flex tip bullets soon for reloaders.

Hornady Flex Tip link
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Standard flat point .308 bullets will work just fine in the new .308 MX. My vote would go to one of the 170 gr. versions, unless you shoot those jackrabbit-sized whitetails so many guys seem to be fond of...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A fellow over to Jayco's site shot an elk at 300 and some yards with the gummy tip and it was DRT.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'm curious to find out how handloaders' efforts will compare to the factory stuff, both with the LeverE bullets as they become available and with traditional-style bullets. I don't think reloaders will be able to equal factory velocities, as part of the package is Hornady's proprietary powder formula and loading techniques.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

If I looked at the Hornady release correctly, they are releasing flex-tip bullets to the general public for rifle calibers. I don't see the stuff they load up in their pistol ammo, ie 357,44
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams