3 days of Deer Hunting in West Virginia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

3 days of Deer Hunting in West Virginia

Post by dr walker »

I just returned from West Virginia. We (wife, daughter and myself) had a great trip. We had 3 days of great deer hunting. We woke up Wednesday morning with 8 inches of fresh snow on the ground. My daughter and I walked out to my favorite stand. This was my 10 year old daughters first time around snow since she was just a baby, she was in awe. Fresh snow in the woods is beautiful.
This is what we saw that morning, nothing stirred except a woodpecker.

My wife and daughter really enjoyed their first trip to West Virginia and their first time deer hunting.
While neither took a shot at a deer they both helped with the butchering. 3 generations of us butchered and wrapped 6 deer after Thanksgiving dinner. In all we butchered and wrapped 10 deer during the 3 days.

My wife hunted with me on stand, she hunted alone on stand, and still hunted alone. She spent a good part of Wednesday and Friday hunting and she really enjoyed herself. My daughter had really hoped to get a chance at a turkey, but we didnt get any shots.

I shot a doe on the last day with a shot to the white patch on the throat, the deer went down quick.

I am not sure what happened with my camera, but the only photos that turned out were from the first day.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 3 days of Deer Hunting in West Virginia

Post by MikeS. »

Which county were you in? We got a very lite dusting here but I know about 30 miles west they got several inches.

Glad you and the family had an enjoyable hunt and time with your family.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, west of us "across the mountain" there was snow but we only had rain. I like the snow for hunting. Easier to track and to drag.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

That looks like heaven...
I would love to hunt in the snow again
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

MikeS- we were in Preston County. It snowed off and on during the day and most of Tuesday night. By Friday much of the snow had melted.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Wow, sounds like you had a great hunt !

We live west of Preston--almost to the Ohio Border. Everyone in our family got waylaid by the stomach virus that's going around during thanksgiving weekend. I'm going to have to try and get some morning hunts in this week before night shift, and then there's always saturday and a week of doe season...glad you guys had a good week.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations!

OK now my life can go on. I've had as much snow in that picture as I care for till next year.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote: I like the snow for hunting. Easier to drag.
I'm okay with snow as long as it's not to deep ! It helps with the vision thing for me !

But the dragging thing !

Well let me just say thats why God created ATV's !!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

WOW!!! What an adventure for you and your family. Thanks for the story and the picture.
ED
Yer never too old