OT 50 Anniversary 357 Ruger flat top.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OT 50 Anniversary 357 Ruger flat top.

Post by Old Savage »

Anyone have one - opinions? Just signed up to get one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT 50 Anniversary 357 Ruger flat top.

Post by Sixgun »

I have a few of the originals in both calibers, but I did do some shooting with my son's 50th anniv. last month. Trigger was a little rough (thats expected) We did a "poor mans" trigger job on it. (dropped a leg of the spring) The gun did shoot like a house on fire though. We were busting little things out to 200 meters with no problem. The inside of the barrel was polished real nice and no leading occured. Overall fit and finish was nice. You will be pleased--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just couldn't get excited enough to get one, but I suppose I should. Never heard a bad thing about them. I've got a New Vaquero and it is a fine gun. Got one of the flattop .44 Specials on order.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie, I went in to order one of the 44 Spls but this was there at a great price and it seems very well fitted - the cylinder/barrel is quite close and the grip/frame fitting is very well done. Cylinder lock up is tighter than most Rugers.

I'd like to know how that 44 Spl is when you get it. My favorite cartridge.

I don't have a SA 357 yet; this one is 4 5/8".
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Does anyone know if the .44 Specials will be a limited run, or if they will be a regularly cataloged item?

Also, are they available in more than 1 barrel length?
Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think they are a run and in 4 5/8" and 5 1/2".

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I bought one a wile back Old Savage. It is a fine shooting Ruger, I think you will like yours.
Like Sixgun said, not quite as smooth as my 1957 Flat top, but it's getting there.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good pics Scott, interesting comparison.

ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I had one for a bit, sold it a while back, to fund something else I just had to have at the time. :roll: I seemed a bit heavy in the hand to me and really didn't care for my lead bullet reloads, though I never got round to slugging the bore, so that probably could have improved. It did shoot my jacketed reloads and factory loads with extremely good accuracy. I too had performed the poor mans trigger job and while there was just a bit of creep, the gun handled and performed very well. I'm thinkin though this new .44spec is one of those gotta haves. :wink:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

It is hard to beat a "Three Screw", I had mine out this past week and it is very accurate. It ain't got no Xfer bar and it has the four clicks that say's its a wanna bee C-O-L-T.

Since I have and shoot a pair of Colts in 44 spec with Cowboy Action and love the Caliber. That Ruger in 44 special has caught my eye. I may just have to get one. That xfer bar can be replaced and made to be like a three screw action. Wes Flowers does the conversion with his parts. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

OS , I bought one of the 357 Anniversary Flattop's when they first came out !
It's an okay little revolver !

Probably the biggest reason I purchased it was to go with my circa 1957 44 MAG Flattop !

Personally I prefer the 44 over the 357 ! But it might be because I like the older one more !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 44 Flattop is a Lipseys exclusive. 1000 each of the two barrel lengths.

OS, it might easier to get your .357 converted than it will to find one of the new .44s.
I've read over on The Ruger Forum that all of them are already spoken for and they haven't even been delivered yet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks Joe, I wondered if that might be the case but the boys at the gun shop are steadily busy all the time and hadn't gotten around to calling what with cousin barry driving gun sales and this opportunity came up because somebody had to have something new and the boys tell me about the new stuff before it is out.

But, I've got 44 Spls and this gives me all the Ruger SA calibers and a companion to the only pistol caliber rifles I have except 22s.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6pt, I had two old friends who each summer would as they said pack the high country, the Sierras, with horses and mules. Back then they each carried a sixgun - one a 22 mag 3 screw and the other a 44 mag three screw - one for bear if need be and the other for small game.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you got tired of the 50th Anniv in .357, you could always have it converted to .44 Special, OS. ;)

I had one, when they were first issued, but like my .45 New Vaquero better. They both had the same 4 5/8" barrel lengths, too.

steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Pete44ru wrote:If you got tired of the 50th Anniv in .357, you could always have it converted to .44 Special, OS. ;)

OS, I think you'll be right happy with one of the Anniversary model flattops.I know I sure like this one. :)

Didnt have the 44 Special conversion back a week when the announcment came of the new Lipseys 44 Special Rugers.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I got one last year. I love mine. I shoot a lot more .38 special than .357 in mine. I also got a set up grips from Private's Grips and they helped the comfort level greatly. The factory grips with hot magnum loads were rough! Mine is very tight and well fit, more so than my other Blackhawks.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Steve!!!! Nice Ruger/pics ....20 lashes with a Hoppes soaked rag for not sharing that with us until now! Good to see your post.

Sweet looking Rugers all around fellas. :mrgreen: There is nothing like a nice Flat Top.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

C. Cash wrote:Steve!!!! Nice Ruger/pics ....20 lashes with a Hoppes soaked rag for not sharing that with us until now! Good to see your post.

Sweet looking Rugers all around fellas. :mrgreen: There is nothing like a nice Flat Top.
Hi Chris! I reckon I should just go ahead and take my 20 lashes and get it over with I suppose... Hope all is going well with you and yours...Steve. :)