OT- stay away from BSA scopes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

OT- stay away from BSA scopes

Post by BenT »

Well you get what you pay for. But non the less I thought I would try a BSA hand scope on sale as a scout scope set up on the 30-30. Well you couldn't zero it at all , Tried different rings and different gun no luck. No big deal it was a $35 gamble I thought I would try.

Here is where it gets me . It has a warrenty I thought I might as well send it in. Apparently the warrenty departments jobs is to not cover repairs under warrenty. There customer service gave you the impression right away that it was my problem . They didn't care if I was a happy or not. Wanted me to pay to get it fixed calling it maintainence. Talk about not standing behind your product , but this was ridiculous. I asked to have my scoped shipped back to me un repaired. I didn't want them to keep it and sell it as refurbished to some other sucker. Anyways I see they sell more expensive models , buyer beware spend your money someplace else.
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT- stay away from BSA scopes

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You usually do indeed get what you pay for. I have had BSA scopes before - think I probably still have a few, but only on .22's. Seem to work fine on them.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:You usually do indeed get what you pay for. I have had BSA scopes before - think I probably still have a few, but only on .22's. Seem to work fine on them.
I'd not put a BSA on a gun with much recoil, or one I'd be altering settings on, but I DO have a 32x cheapie that I put on nearly any new gun I get and shoot a sandbag-group at 100 yards with. I don't bother sighting in, just go for 'group' - that way I know the gun's potential and can make a decision on what kind of scope, if any to mount on it based on the gun's accuracy, rather than just assuming it will be accurate because it is a bolt action (they're not always) or whatever.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

MY son was shooting my 10/22 that had a BSA scope on it last week. When he went to crank the power up it just went black. No work no mo.

Someone said BSA stands for " Bought Sh!% Again" and I'd never disagree.

To be honest that scope was never really anything but trouble and I was going to re-scope that rifle anyway so there's really nothing lost anyway. I'd never buy another one and never advise anyone else to either.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

They're made in China--what do you expect? Of course, so are so many other scopes. Even Burris Fullfield II scopes are made "overseas". I asked Burris about them last year, because the ads I saw didn't indicate that the Fullfield II was made in the USA. The reply I received was that everybody's binoculars were made overseas, and Fullfield II were also. Everything else Burris makes was made here.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Thanks for the advice i was going to get one for my 30-06 that I was going to get taped for a scope now i think I'll get the Bushnell again thanks for saving me
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I like BSA products, but only those made in England and preferably before 1971.

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I won't spend money on anything less than a Weaver K4 and the like - around $120 or so. My favorite for the money scope is Nikon Prostaff - $150.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:They're made in China--
So is practically every other scope available now-a-days.

I've got a BSA Mil Dot Scope on my GAMO Whisper .177 break barrel air rifle and it works great. Good clear picture, bright, and rugged. I've also got a BSA on a couple of other rifles -- .22LR & .223.

BSA has sold a gazillion scopes. Don't judge them by a couple of guys complaints.
ED
Yer never too old
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I got ine for free so I tried it. It wouldnt hold zero so I literally ripped it off the rifle and threw it downrange. Ricky found it a week later. I'm glad it didnt start a fire. Anyway, never again. I always buy a scope that cost at least as much as the rifle and if it is for serious business I'll spend twice as much as the rifle if necessary.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have one on my 9422 and it has been fine. It's optics are not the best no but it does hold zero.
I would have to be real hungry to screw one to a center fire.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I put one on a 22 mag about 5 years ago.

It's dandy so far. It holds zero, and the combination is VERY accurate at 50 yards.
But, it was only $35 or so, and I did take a little bit of a chance.

Bsaride has it right - that's the sort of BSA to buy (especially if you need
another hobby! ). No offense intended....... it IS a nice bike.

-Tom
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I've the same $29.95 BSA scout scope on my 30-30 for 4 years without one problem. Right around 2200rds through the rifle too.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My issue wasn't the failure of the scope but the customer service. I work in customer service and their customer service is definately not up to par. I have no problem with getting something bad that is brand new as long as the company makes good on it. No company can make everything perfect 100 % of the time . Specially went you consider issues with shipping.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

BenT wrote:My issue wasn't the failure of the scope but the customer service. I work in customer service and their customer service is definately not up to par. I have no problem with getting something bad that is brand new as long as the company makes good on it. No company can make everything perfect 100 % of the time . Specially went you consider issues with shipping.
My fault for not reading the whole post.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Yup, BSA made great motorcycles, and rifles in their heyday. Some company trying to cash in on the BSA name and reputation, and in the process insulting it. :roll:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Wcf3030 , I don't want to jinx you, but I hope yours keeps working. When I bought it from Midway I read the reviews and it was a mixed bag. I could of paid them $20 to do the "maintainence " on my scope to get it working. But I didn't feel like giving them anymore of my money on something that never worked.

There is nothing wrong with BSA motorcycles .
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a BSA Reddot that I had put on my 30-30. It would not hold a point of aim and stay zeroed for nothing. I think about every 5th shot I would end up completely off the paper. I took it off and put it on my Ruger 10/22 and it has stayed zeroed for a couple hundred rounds now. I have been of the habit to keep scopes off my leverguns, however my daughter will be hunting with my Marlin 1894 .44 MAG and she has requested that it be scoped for her. I think I will be putting s SIMMONS Scope in it. I have a SIMMONS 3-9x40 Blazer scope on my .308 that has no issues. It has never fogged on my and shoots great. I gave about $35 for it.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Just to prove how inept their customer service is. I just received my scope back today and it didn't have any caps for the adjustment knobs .
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

papabear wrote:Thanks for the advice i was going to get one for my 30-06 that I was going to get taped for a scope now i think I'll get the Bushnell again thanks for saving me
papabear
I have had one on a 30-06 for years. The rifle weighs 7 1/2 lbs and I load 180gr bullets over 57gr 4350. No problems yet.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

It saddens me to see the name of a once-great gun company sullied the way it's current users have done. Reminds me of another old name that starts with an "H." Hmmmmm... :wink:

Scott