Ruger Blackhawk 9mm conversion cylinders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger Blackhawk 9mm conversion cylinders

Post by Gary »

I have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 357 mag and have been thinking about getting a 9X19 cylinder for it. Would it need to be fitted at the factory? Would it have to be for the New Model as opposed to one for a New Model Blackhawk? I've seen them occasionally for sale on other boards.

Lastly, how is 9mm accuracy out of a Blackhawk compared to 38 special and 357 magnum?

Thanks!

Gary
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger Blackhawk 9mm conversion cylinders

Post by Lefty Dude »

The bore of a BH is .357 groove diameter. The 9mm bullets are .355-.356, jacketed bullets might be accurate forget lead unless you size them .357-.358. It's the luck of the draw. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When you say "New Model" vs. "New Model Blackhawk", do you mean the New Model Vacaro? The Vacaro is a smaller cylinder as are the "Old Model Rugers. The New Models have longer cylinders to fit in the longer window of the "newer frame".

As for fitting, sometimes they fit nice and other times you might have to file a hair off. I have had luck with most of them fitting, but if you get one that someone already played with (fitted) you might get stuck with a cylinder with a large flash gap. If you really want this done right and don't have a lot of experience, it will be better to just send the gun back to the factory. It will be perfect then with no gamble on your money. :D

I'm with Lefty Dude as to the hit or miss with accuracy, so unless you have a mess of .355 jacketed bullets you want to get rid of or a mess of loaded 9mm ammo, just toss the idea......................unless you "just want to do something different or neat. Not everything in life has to be practical :D ----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Gary,

The Old Model Blackhawk .357 Mag / 9mm revolvers were built on the medium sized frame.

The New Model Blackhawk .357 Mag / 9mm revolvers were built on the large size frame.

The Vaquero ( No such thing as an Old Model Vaquero ) is built on the large size frame.

The New Vaquero (No such thing as a New Model Vaquero ) is built on the medium sized frame.

Now, to get a 9mm cylinder for your New Model Blackhawk you can take a chance and buy one from some body, or call Ruger and see if they will fit one to your gun.
Ruger is stubborn and won't fit an axillary cylinder to any pistol model that didn't originally offer this option. Since the New Model Blackhawk model did they will most likely do this for you. However it won't come cheep. Ruger has raised all their prices in recent years.

A couple years ago I bought a used 9mm cylinder for my Old Model BH and it fit exactly like the .357 cylinder. Dropped right in, time up and worked. So it can happen.

It's just your choice of which way you go with it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I have a two New Model Blackhawk convertibles and have been told each cylinder is individually fitted for that particular frame. Each cylinder has the frame serial number engraved on it.

So I don't know how "interchangeable" one cylinder is with another frame, so factory fitting would be a good idea.

Cheers,

Carl
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

J Miller wrote:Ruger is stubborn and won't fit an axillary cylinder to any pistol model that didn't originally offer this option. Since the New Model Blackhawk model did they will most likely do this for you. However it won't come cheep. Ruger has raised all their prices in recent years.
That was my concern. Perhaps I will just take my chances and just buy one for a New Model Blackhawk and see if it works.
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

I have a new model Blackhawk .357 Magnum/9mm Convertible and accuracy is pretty good at 15 yards with 9mm, .38 or .357 Magnum. It's better then I am. ;) As for getting another cylinder, I have no clue. Couldn't hurt to ask Ruger or a custom smith. 125 grain 9mm out of my Ruger is pretty easy on the hand. Much easier then 158 grain .357 mags for sure!! I got the convertible last year for that reason and also because 9mm is cheaper then .38 or 357 mag around here.

Heber
Heber Ellsworth