OT -- Best Chocolate Cake Ever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT -- Best Chocolate Cake Ever

Post by Doc Hudson »

Believe me guys, this cake lives up to it's name. It is the best chocolate cake I can ever recall eating, and I'm not saying that just because I made it.

Give it a try, I think you will agree.

Doc

Best Ever Chocolate Cake

¾ cup Butter
3 Eggs
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
¾ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
¾ tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cup Milk

1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Lightly grease bottoms of three 8x 1 ½-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of the pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans. Dry pans aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350*. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about ¼ cup at a time, beating on medium speed for 3 or 4 minutes or until well mixed. Scrape side of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla extract.

4. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread evenly into prepared pans.

5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool completely on wire racks

6. Ice with Wilton’s Mocha Chocolate Butter Cream Icing

Wilton Buttercream Icing

½ cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
½ cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
1 Tablespoon Wilton Clear Vanilla Extract
4 cups Confectioners Sugar (1 pound)
2 Tablespoons Milk
Wilton Icing Color

Cream Butter and Shortening with an electric mixer. Add vanilla extract. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl often. When all the sugar has been mixed in, the icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Makes 3 cups.

At this point you will have a nice white icing. For colors, use Wilton’s Icing Color paste or powder. Use a toothpick to add the paste to the icing and mix well until the color is even. If you need more color, use a new toothpick for each new addition of color.

Keep the icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep the icing bowl in the refrigerator, with a piece of plastic wrap pushed down to be in contact with the icing, when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored for 2 weeks. Rewhip before use.

For Chocolate Butter Cream Icing, add 3/4 cup cocoa powder or 3 1-ounce blocks of semi-sweet chocolate melted. Mix well at medium speed and add two tablespoons of milk.

For Mocha Chocolate Butter Cream Icing, substitute two tablespoons of strong brewed coffee for the milk in the Chocolate Butter Cream Icing.
Last edited by Doc Hudson on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT -- Best Chocolate Cake Ever

Post by morgan in nm »

That does sound good. I think if I were to try it, I would have to rip the top off of a bottle of insulin and just drink it straight before I tore into it:lol: :lol:
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Here's my favorite Chocolate Cake Recipe that's very easy to make & moist: 1 Cup Flour,1 Cup Sugar,Pinch of Salt,4 TBS Crisco (my wife uses oil),1/2 cup of Cocoa or 2 pkgs of Nestles Choco Bake,1 egg,1 tsp vanila add 1 cup boiling water with 1 tsp baking soda this will foam add a pinch of baking powder.Mix it all together at one time the pour it into a 9x9 floured cake pan or pyrex cake dish,makes a small cake .You can double the recipe we used it for cup cakes for kids school parties,etc. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. My wife uses a butter cream frosting.I was visiting my sisters mil & fil when I was offered a piece of chocolate cake which I refused cause they were always dry and crumbly.Anna Warren insisted I try it she said her cake cake was soft & moist,I broke down and tried it.The rest is history I was captivated it was delicious beyond belief & I asked for the recipe.My wife & I have been married over 46 yrs and this has been my birthday cake every year & for any other occasion.I was listed as a borderline diabetic and had to attend the diabetic classes ,when I arrived I listened to the diabetics talking about their BG levels of 150,200,300,400 & 500 while mine was 85 so when I asked why I was ordered to class the nurse said I was the one who was in denial even though my fasting bs was normal & has been for over 20+ years .At 74 it's still normal but this cake doesn't cause my blood glucose level to rise!!!!!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

The things I do to accumulate recipes!! LOL

If tiy want that recipe attributed to your right name, just send me a PM.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Doc,
That is a good looking recipe. I am not a much of a cake eater (pies for me), but a good chocolate cake is something special. I have a special occasion coming in a few weeks. I think I will make a test run with this recipe (hehe just a taste) just to make sure I can pull it off.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Uhhhh.....Excuse me ladies.I was thinking this was a gun forum.Will the REAL Martha Stewart please stand up?You there....Pillsbury Dough Boy....sit down and behave!LOL.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Stan in SC wrote:Uhhhh.....Excuse me ladies.I was thinking this was a gun forum.Will the REAL Martha Stewart please stand up?You there....Pillsbury Dough Boy....sit down and behave!LOL.

Stan
If I didn't think you were joking, I'd give consideration to inviting you to join me some fine morning for breakfast.

Breakfast for one, pistols for two. :twisted:

In case you haven't noticed, most of this bunch takes good food as seriously as they do their guns. And sometimes we get just as touchy about our favorite piece of cast iron cookware as we do our favorite six-guns.

Image Image
UNITE!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Another chocolate cake recipe.

Mix
2 C sugar
2 C flour
1/2 tea salt
2 tea cinnamon

in a sauce pan
2 sticks butter
1 C water
4 Tbsp cocoa powder
melt and boil this part while stirring constantly, when it comes to a boil then add to the above dry ingredients and mix well.

Add
1 C buttermilk
3 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp vanilla

stir well and pour into a 13X9 greased and floured pan and bake at 400 degreed for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Frost while still warm with

in a sauce pan melt 1 stick butter
6 Tbsp milk
4 Tbsp cocoa
melt and mix, do not boil
then add 1 pound powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp vanilla.
add more powdered sugar as required for a thick, but spreadable consistency
spread on cake and enjoy. Warning: has been known to cause hogging behavior.

I'm printing this as I want all the recipes. There always should be a good cook in any camp.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, please don't take Stan's responses too seriously. I had a good laugh at them, and yes I do enjoy a good cake and am printing out your recipe anyhow! :P

Life and food is good, my friend!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

God, this is too funny. I can hear it now. "So, Andy where did you get this recipe for chocolate cake? Its the best I've ever had!" "Uh, from a gun forum?" Yeah, right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The range of interests and topics is fairly wide, plus "This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here, politely."

What's a little chocolate gonna hurt?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Well,
morgan in New Mexico DID say he would have to chug a bottle of insulin straight before he did it.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

CowboyTutt wrote:Doc, please don't take Stan's responses too seriously. I had a good laugh at them, and yes I do enjoy a good cake and am printing out your recipe anyhow! :P

Life and food is good, my friend!

-Tutt
I took it as an attempt at humor. I just said what I'd have considered if I'd taken the comment as an insult.

Notice that I did not invite him to join me for a Breakfast for One morning.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

CowboyTutt wrote:God, this is too funny. I can hear it now. "So, Andy where did you get this recipe for chocolate cake? Its the best I've ever had!" "Uh, from a gun forum?" Yeah, right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

-Tutt

Tutt,

Some of the best recipes I've ever tried came from here, Sixguns, or the Sixshooter Community Forum. I have no reservations at all about telling folks that I got a recipe from a fellow gun crank.

When I have a chance to attend one of the CSA Rendezvous, I often don't shoot any or only very little. I spend all morning cooking over a campfire and visiting with folks who come around to see what is cooking, and stay sip a cup of Cowboy Coffee and chew the fat. I can shoot most any time, but getting a chance to feed lots of friends and visit over a cup of coffee is priceless. And you can bet that nearly everyone makes their way to the cookfire at one time or another.

Image Image
UNITE!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Doc Hudson,it wasn't an ATTEMPT at humor.It was humor.Don't be so testy.
I'll bet I make a heck of a lot better blackberry cobbler than you do.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I make " Hairy Eye Ball's mountain eggs "
Good stuff Maynard.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, I'm a newly unrepentant "firearms enthusiast" in my new home in Ukiah, CA I decided to use my personal email address for both school and work as it was simpler for me, and eventually the question arose, "Why CowboyTutt?" amongst my work friends. So, I decided to be honest and tell them the truth, I'm a firearms enthuisiast! While this met with some mixed results, I'm glad I did it. They have have largely been very understanding.

Things will only get better when I give them these great recipes!

Take care, and keep on postin!

-Tutt

revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Post by revolverjunkie »

if fall over from a stroke just keep shovling the cake in the siezure will take care of it.
HEY CLOGGED ARTIERIES. :shock:
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Stan in SC wrote:Doc Hudson,it wasn't an ATTEMPT at humor.It was humor.Don't be so testy.
I'll bet I make a heck of a lot better blackberry cobbler than you do.

Stan

I double dog dare ye to prove it!

And I won't judge hastily. If it's as good as you claim, it will take at least three helpings to judge it properly.

I love blackberry cobbler but I can't find any around here.

All the farmers have done away with the fence rows that used to be regular blackberry brambles, and on the rare occasion if find them in the grocery, they are more expensive than steak.

Another bad side to the no fence row farming is that the quail don't have anyplace to nest.

Image Image
UNITE!
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

Doc Hudson wrote:Believe me guys, this cake lives up to it's name. It is the best chocolate cake I can ever recall eating, and I'm not saying that just because I made it.

Give it a try, I think you will agree.

Doc

Best Ever Chocolate Cake

¾ cup Butter
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
¾ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
¾ tsp. Baking Powder1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cup Milk

1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Lightly grease bottoms of three 8x 1 ½-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of the pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans. Dry pans aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350*. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about ¼ cup at a time, beating on medium speed for 3 or 4 minutes or until well mixed. Scrape side of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla extract.

4. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread evenly into prepared pans.

5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool completely on wire racks

6. Ice with Wilton’s Mocha Chocolate Butter Cream Icing

Wilton Buttercream Icing

½ cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
½ cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
1 Tablespoon Wilton Clear Vanilla Extract
4 cups Confectioners Sugar (1 pound)
2 Tablespoons Milk
Wilton Icing Color

Cream Butter and Shortening with an electric mixer. Add vanilla extract. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl often. When all the sugar has been mixed in, the icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Makes 3 cups.

At this point you will have a nice white icing. For colors, use Wilton’s Icing Color paste or powder. Use a toothpick to add the paste to the icing and mix well until the color is even. If you need more color, use a new toothpick for each new addition of color.

Keep the icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep the icing bowl in the refrigerator, with a piece of plastic wrap pushed down to be in contact with the icing, when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored for 2 weeks. Rewhip before use.

For Chocolate Butter Cream Icing, add 3/4 cup cocoa powder or 3 1-ounce blocks of semi-sweet chocolate melted. Mix well at medium speed and add two tablespoons of milk.

For Mocha Chocolate Butter Cream Icing, substitute two tablespoons of strong brewed coffee for the milk in the Chocolate Butter Cream Icing.
Hey Doc!

Number one in the directions wants the butter and eggs to stand for thirty minutes...SO, how many eggs? I don't see them listed in the ingredient list. Got to try this, The Mrs. is begging...please reply soon!

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

How many eggs? I'm guessing three...

Edit : OK, three eggs seem to work. The 13 year old wanted to make her first cake (with a friend who's done this kind of thing before) so I printed the recipe and unleashed them in the kitchen.

The result is quite edible :-) A bit sweet for me, but who knows, they probably doubled the sugar just for fun.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I don't believe I forgot to list the eggs!!!!!!

And no one elses noticed either!!

You guessed right, 3 eggs. Recipe edited to include the eggs.

Image Image
UNITE!
Bob Thompson
Levergunner

Post by Bob Thompson »

I have been a pie man all my life, but this recipe made me change my mind on cake; it is called Chocolate Decadence. One pound of smeisweet chocolate chopped,[Ghirardelli is the best] 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 4 extra large eggs at room temperature, 1 tablespoon sugar and one tablespoon flour. Preheat oven to 425.
Butter and flour an 8 or 9 inch cake pan add parchment paper, buttered and floured
Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler stirring until smooth, set aside to cool a bit.
Place eggs and sugar in mixing bowl, beat on high until trippled in volume, mix should be light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add flour.
Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate,gently so as to not deflate then fold in the rest of the egg mix.
Put in cake pan and bake for 15 minutes.
Let cake cool then invert onto a cake plate and remove paper.
Rasberry sauce---2 1/2 cups fresh rasberries 1/2 cup castor sugar and 1/4 cup framboise, mix all in a blender and chill. Place some sauce on a plate and add a thin slice of cake with freh whipped cream.
. This is as good as opening day with a new 38-55.
Good shooting and good cooking. Bob