OT - How about some deer pictures?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

OT - How about some deer pictures?

Post by Bruce »

Today starts the muzzle loading season here, so I went to my hunt club yesterday and pulled my trail camera off of one of my stands. I have had it sit up at another location and have a very nice 8 point that it took numerous pictures of. I deleted those pictures and moved it to this location last Monday, really not expecting to get much. I knew I had one nice buck in the area, but when I retrieved it I found it contained 177 pictures and these fine fellows.

Three different 8 points. Notice anything unusual about the color on the neck and head of the buck in the last two pictures? There were some more pictures of smaller bucks, does, turkeys and hogs. Believe it or not, I will pass on hunting this one for a day or two and hope to show you why soon.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: OT - How about some deer pictures?

Post by AmBraCol »

Venison! Looks edible indeed. :D Good luck. We'll be waiting for pics of the result of the hunt. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I'm having Venison steaks tonight for dinner. Taken Oct 14, 2008....
He's a 6 PT Western Count and 12 PT Eastern count...

Semper Fi
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Beautiful mulie jarhead! You pushed that one to the very last chance on the 14th!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How'd ya get him Jarhead?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Beautiful deer Jarhead. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Those are some really good looking deer.
Jarhead that is a fine rack and alot of good meat, what did you take him with? I took one Monday morning with my Kentucky rifle. It uses a .451 patched round ball over 90 grains of 3fg, he went about 20 yards and folded up. Our digital camera battery was dead and he was quartered and cut up by the time I got some more batteries.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Great pics! Congrats jarhead! That is an awsome buck - do tell us more. :D

I hope I can add a picture this year :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats a fair load for that .45 JerryB! Cap lock or flinter? Hows the shoulder? Did the ball pass through?

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I think I remember a few posts back, Jarhead said his neighbor shot a six point on his land, that may be what we are looking at.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nath, my rifle has a 36 inch long 15/16 inch barrel full stocked with maple and german silver furniture. It is a caplock. When I was match shooting I shot 45 grains, I have always used 90 grains of fffg for deer hunting a very accurate load in my rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Dang Jarhead, what is that on top of that deers head? Well, I did not get the big one, but I did get a nice 160-170 lb. six point that needed to go. Took him around 9.30 am and from the total lack of shots in the area, I think I might have been the only lucky person this morning. My eight that I am looking for will look good compared to that Muley. I hope.

The rack is small, but that is what we have in north Florida for the most part. Those 8 pointers are what most people around here hope for, but rarely get.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

The Story behind the Hunt...If you can call it hunting. I own 30 acres adjacent to a Wilderness Area in Eastern Oregon...Same farm I joined the Marines from many, many years ago. Anyway, I've been watching this big buck for about three years now. Heck, this big fella had been walking through my camp without any fear for quite sometime. My Neighbor and I were cooking steaks on the Grille when we spotted him again. He was munching on some apples and my neighbor shot him from about 200 yards with a .270...We both have some big Mule Deer on our farms. We were getting ready to have Dinner... :)

We loaded the Buck in my PU and took him to the Barn my Dad and I built 40 years ago...Good times and good memories.

I've been spoiled when it comes to hunting Mule Deer...don't have to work very hard to take deer. Funny, I had been shooting all day from my Camp and this fella showed up anyway. My neigbor ask me if I wanted to shoot him when we saw him the previous night, but I just didn't feel like gutting out a deer that late in the day....He shot from camp while I was cooking our steaks :lol:

We split the meat...as always and toasted another difficult hunt with a cold beer.

I lost count a long time ago, but a lot of Mule Deer have been taken on my place. The one I have on my wall in my Trophy room was shot out the Bath Room window under an apple tree... :) Was sippin' on some whiskey with my Dad(home on leave) and playing cards and made a trip to the bathroom. My Dad passed away in 1998, but we still hang deer in his barn.

Thanks Dad...
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jarhead,
I thought that was the one you were taking about earlier.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote:Jarhead,
I thought that was the one you were taking about earlier.
Mescalero,

After hanging him in the Barn, I saw three more in the head lights on the way back to camp.
However, the Deer population isn't as good as it was 40 years ago...
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I did not realize you bought the place where you grew up, thats cool.
I did not buy the old place, but real close to it.
Will have to sell Mother's place when she goes, she wants my brother to have most of the money.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote:I did not realize you bought the place where you grew up, thats cool.
I did not buy the old place, but real close to it.
Will have to sell Mother's place when she goes, she wants my brother to have most of the money.
Didn't buy it...Inherited it from my Folks...Will pass it on to my Daughters...Looks like the Indians will get that piece of land back.. :)
Last edited by Jarhead on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That my friend is poetic justice :lol:
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: That my friend is poetic justice :lol:
:lol: :lol: 8)
Semper Fi
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Bruce wrote:Dang Jarhead, what is that on top of that deers head? Well, I did not get the big one, but I did get a nice 160-170 lb. six point that needed to go. Took him around 9.30 am and from the total lack of shots in the area, I think I might have been the only lucky person this morning. My eight that I am looking for will look good compared to that Muley. I hope.

The rack is small, but that is what we have in north Florida for the most part. Those 8 pointers are what most people around here hope for, but rarely get.
Bruce,

That's a nice deer...can't eat the horns anyway. I'd rather eat a young spike anyday... :) When I hunt blacktail in Alaska...I try to shoot does and young bucks..much better eating in my opinion. Never hunted Whitetail...
Semper Fi
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I forgot to age this six point, but I am guessing he was in the three year old range. Based on his weight, he should have had a better rack. We have a QDM program on the club and it is beginning to pay off. I need to let that stand rest a few days before I try for the big eight again, so I am off in pursuit of the white (grey??) necked eight point this morning. I have also got some big hogs at this location, but may have to pass on them. The area is a large hammock way off the nearest road and I am not sure how I would get one out by myself.