Standard sights not working for standard load.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Standard sights not working for standard load.

Post by 20cows »

I took Puzzle Four out for a field test and to get a rough sight-in before presenting it to my nephew. The barrel still has the ramp front sight and the original blade insert. I bought an new standard rear sight from Browning that should be just like what it had originally.

The load was the Federal Power Shock 150 gr cartridge, which I would think be very representative of what most folks use in a .30-30 (I haven't used factory .30-30 ammo in 30 yrs).

To get the load on a 9 inch paper plate at 25 yards, the sight had to be at it's lowest setting. At 50 yards, I had to loosen the two screws on the rear sight insert an drop it as low as it would go and completely remove the sight elevator. This still printed 3 inches high at fifty yards.

I realize that would be a useable sight setting out to past 100 yards for that load, but I'm not very comfortable with the sight needing to be below its customary range. In addition, if he doesn't have a convenient place to store the sight elevator, it would not be available should it be needed when zeroing another load.

It puzzles me that the standard height front sight seems to be too short for a standard load.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Are you SURE its a std height front blade? The top of the blade should measure abt. .75" above the centerline of the bore, that should allow you to use the 2nd step on the elevator with the standard rear sight. (Using the short carbine step elevator).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Though it's been a while since I've looked at a standard carbine, this one looks like what I remember and it came installed on a barrel from a parted out post-64 94. It sure looks original to me.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

20cows,

The exploded parts diagrams I have from Numrich shows the standard carbine using a .360" tall front sight.

And I have read (can't prove it) that the rear sights on the later 94s were changed a bit. I haven't even seen an AE standard carbine in years.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'll try to measure it this evening.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I measured it. It is the .360.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

20cows wrote:I measured it. It is the .360.
How far above the centerline of the bore is it?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

If all else fails, I'd put a Williams FP or 5D on it.

When you say you got the rear sight from Browning, do you mean USRAC?

Good luck.
swany
Levergunner

Post by swany »

Suggestion #1.

Put the elevator back in at it's lowest setting, fold a piece of duct tape over the front sight.

Trim all but 1/8th inch off and check it at 50yds. If too low, raise one notch on elevator. Or trim some tape off. When you are set for elevation order the proper hgt front.

Suggestion #2.

Get a lower rear sight
Take care and have fun. Swany
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

When you say you got the rear sight from Browning, do you mean USRAC?
I mean Browning/Winchester. I can't get to the site from this computer (filters at work), but Browning owns the Winchester name and has the parts left over from USRA production.

If the part you need was the same one used on the late models, this is probably the best place to get it for service, speed and price. I have dealt with them many times and as recently as last week.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The easiest way to get parts from Browning is by phone. The number is the same as the old USRA parts department: 1-800-322-4626.

You can fax an order at 1-800-817-4755. The parts catalogue is downloadable from their website.