OT - Knife: Canadian Belt Knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Knife: Canadian Belt Knife

Post by mklwhite »

Been talking about hunting knives at work recently and was looking at some knife catalogs when I ran across a "Canadian Belt Knife". Kind of an odd looking knife. Been reading up on them a bit (thanks to Hobie for the info on his sight for a comparison between the Cold Steel version and on the the originals) and was wondering about use in the field. Basically; have you used one and did you like it? My taste in knives may differ from some. I seldom find myself in need of a Bowie or some Big Hunter type knife. The best (carry it all the time hunting) belt knife I have is a Frost Mora. Image Light weight and a good blade. Not fancy, but very useful. Kind of wondering if the "Canadian" would be the same.
Hobie

Re: OT - Knife: Canadian Belt Knife

Post by Hobie »

I've used both, I've got a Mora on my hunting bag, and they both work fine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Hi Mklwhite...

I don't know anything about "Cold Steel" but I do like the shape of that knife for an everyday carry knife. If you're interested in a Canadian Belt Knife, check out Grohmann Knives before you buy. They make the true D. H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife and are superb knives. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.grohmannknives.com/

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... w=grohmann

If recommend getting a belt knife with a slight drop point and not too big for handy use skinning game. I usually don't like the knifes that are commonly referred to as "skinners" because most have a sharp upturned point and generally they are too big. Also, get the highest quality, most expensive knife you can afford. A good hunting knife is a lifetime investment. My own "drop point, not too big" hunting knife will skin out two moose without sharpening! I wouldn't trade that particular knife for a mint pre-64 Winchester 94...seriously!!! Also, I want my hunting/carry knife in a leather drop in sheath with no lanyards, snaps, etc. In an emergency your knife in a leather drop in sheath is 1) there for you (unlike plastic the leather grips the knife securely so it doesn't fall out) and 2) the knife is easily and immediately accessible.

Good luck!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Looks like the Finnish Puukko......my favorite field belt knife.

Wm
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is the best price I have found. I have had two of the originals - regular which is convex and flat grind. The steel is very interesting in that it more smoothly slices newspaper than anything I have had. That is one of my tests of sharpness that my wife teases about. I am looking at getting the boat knife and just found this place last night. $50 vs $70 at AG Russell.

http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10brow ... nives.html
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have two of the Grohmann knives (and a link to them on my blog). The first is an original Canadian Belt knife which I bought in 1973 and the other is a "Survival" knife I bought this year. They are both good knives. However, the Cold Steel offering seems to offer the substance without the extras we'd prefer but might not want to pay for. As a knife for a kid who might do anything to it, it might be better to get the CS version first and give him the other, later, after a bit more maturity sets in.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My son and I use similar knives made in Sweden for skinning and have found them OK.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

Being a Canadian I feel qualified to reply.
I've used a variety of knives over the last 30 or so years .I was given one of these Russel knives close to 10 years ago and it quickly became my favourite. Mine was made in 1956 same year I was born and is the carbon steel model. This thing holds an edge better than any other knife I own. It looks a little funny at first glance but fits the hand really nice, great for skinning and inside work. The Cold Steel models I've seen have plastic handles can't speak for the blade quality.
in short they perform better than they LOOK.
win92
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I had one when I was real young, I got the impression they were issue from the Canadian Air Force, because a Canadian pilot gave it to me.
I let my friend " The Hairy Eye-Ball " borrow it, and somehow or another the eye ball bent the tip, the eye ball then thought he could straigten the tip and snapped it off with a pair of pliers, :roll:
The eye ball took it home with him and I never saw it again.
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

In the July/August issue of "The Backwoodsman" there is an article about the Cold Steel version of the Canadian Belt Knife, titled "The Best 20 Bucks I ever Spent".