OT - Largest Reenlistment Ceremony

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

OT - Largest Reenlistment Ceremony

Post by Hobie »

Too cool!
The largest reenlistment ceremony in the history of the U.S. military took place in the rotunda of the Al Faw Palace in Baghdad, Iraq on July 4, 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aAU1XE8MQk

and a view from the back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwtpvCgxYU
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Largest Reenlistment Ceremony

Post by dr walker »

Wow, Thanks for sharing. That is a cool thing to see. Any idea how many?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

dr walker wrote:Wow, Thanks for sharing. That is a cool thing to see. Any idea how many?
I saw 1000 and 1200, but don't know which is correct.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Hobie, that was awesome, however I'm still partial to my first re-up in '92 in Korea.....take a look.

First, you swear in. (NOTE The highly UN-polished boots and ratty uniform)

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0003.jpg

Second, you get in a Turtle ditch and assume the "FRONT LEANING REST POSITION". That's me in the back.

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0049.jpg

Third, you get the fire hydrant turned on you and start "knockin' 'em out"

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0050.jpg

Fourth, you get the motor pool oil bath. They don't want you to get "rusty".

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0051.jpg

Finally, Your re-upped Korea style!!! :D

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0052.jpg

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I like it, great post. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

CEMENTHEAD wrote::D Hobie, that was awesome, however I'm still partial to my first re-up in '92 in Korea.....take a look.

First, you swear in. (NOTE The highly UN-polished boots and ratty uniform)

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0003.jpg

Second, you get in a Turtle ditch and assume the "FRONT LEANING REST POSITION". That's me in the back.

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0049.jpg

Third, you get the fire hydrant turned on you and start "knockin' 'em out"

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0050.jpg

Fourth, you get the motor pool oil bath. They don't want you to get "rusty".

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0051.jpg

Finally, Your re-upped Korea style!!! :D

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... an0052.jpg

Thanks, Tom
I never had to do that! :lol: Oh, wait, I re-upped in California. I think they gave us a day off, served us breakfast in bed... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:lol: Let me guess...at the Preceidio. :lol:
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

CEMENTHEAD wrote::lol: Let me guess...at the Presidio. :lol:
Nope, but I was stationed there 1973-1974 for language school. I was at Fort Hunter-Liggett when I re-upped the first time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

The only time I made it to California was to go to NTC to do train ups for Desert Shield/Storm. We did 2- 45 day rotations with only 3 weeks in between. Sucky to say the least. Yurmo, Barstow and 29 Palms ain't my idea of a vacation..... :lol:
Last edited by CEMENTHEAD on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hobie wrote:
Nope, but I was stationed there 1973-1974 for language school. I was at Fort Hunter-Liggett when I re-upped the first time.
Gee, Hobie, breakfast in bed was SOP everyday when I was at DLI, but then, I was USAF. You were in the wrong Mandarin class!! :lol:
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

don Tomás wrote:
Hobie wrote:
Gee, Hobie, breakfast in bed was SOP everyday when I was at DLI, but then, I was USAF. You were in the wrong Mandarin class!! :lol:
Tom
Nobody had breakfast in bed when I was there. NOBODY wanted to eat there! That was about the most underutilized mess hall I've ever seen and YET it was the "best" in the 6th Army. :lol: On Thanksgiving there were 20 people in the mess hall out of 400+ unit members. I was only there because I had no money to eat elsewhere. The meal was so bad that I borrowed some money and went out the back gate to Pacific Grove and got a pizza. If I could have stomached the dinner I could have had 5ths and 6ths. They couldn't even scramble eggs or fry bacon right. Heck, most times the soda dispensers were screwed up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hobie wrote:Nobody had breakfast in bed when I was there. NOBODY wanted to eat there!
I just said it was in bed, Hobie, I didn't say it was good! :lol:
Tom

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

don Tomás wrote:
Hobie wrote:Nobody had breakfast in bed when I was there. NOBODY wanted to eat there!
I just said it was in bed, Hobie, I didn't say it was good! :lol:
Tom

True enough! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

CEMENTHEAD wrote:The only time I made it to California was to go to NTC to do train ups for Desert Shield/Storm. We did 2- 45 day rotations with only 3 weeks in between. Sucky to say the least. Yurmo, Barstow and 29 Palms ain't my idea of a vacation..... :lol:
What do you have againts 29stumps? I spent almost 4 years out there and loved it :roll: .

That was cool thanks for sharing even if it is a bunch of Army bubbas :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:P JReed, man alive you Marines sure are the real deal....4 YEARS. Woof. I guess it can't be all that bad, You did have Needles, CA down the road. So you guys could hang out with Snoopy's brother Spike....LOL Just kiddin'. We ( The Brothers and Sisters of the Armed Forces) all know that it is luck(?) of the draw for duty stations. Carry on, pretty soon you'll be retired. Then It'll all be worth it. :D Thanks, Tom

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

CEMENTHEAD wrote::P JReed, man alive you Marines sure are the real deal....4 YEARS. Woof. I guess it can't be all that bad, You did have Needles, CA down the road. So you guys could hang out with Snoopy's brother Spike....LOL Just kiddin'. We ( The Brothers and Sisters of the Armed Forces) all know that it is luck(?) of the draw for duty stations. Carry on, pretty soon you'll be retired. Then It'll all be worth it. :D Thanks, Tom
:lol: :lol: :lol: Does it make me anymore crazy if I tell you that I asked to stay out there after MOS school. :shock: Actually it was nice my Mother inlaw lives in Chino and my folks lived in Anaheim.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

don Tomás wrote: I was USAF.
Tom
Tom, you mean you skipped your tee-time to have breakfast in bed? Geez, you Air Force guys did have it tough! :wink:
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

I have been in that palace, and it is HUGE! I could easily see 1200 men standing on the main floor. Of course, right next door is the palace where Saddam's sons kept their tiger cages and fed the tigers women after raping them(the women, not the tigers).

I have also been to Fort Hunter-Liggett and NTC more times than I can count in my Army career. I broke-in my first Stetson at the O-club at Liggett(I'm in the Cavalry) in the early 90s. basically, when you first get your Stetson, you have to break it in by letting all the other Stetson wearers/spur holders pour into the upturned hat whatever drink they deem necessary until it is full. You then have to drink the entire contents of the extremely alcoholic concoction without puking your guts out. There were probably fifteen drinks poured in when I did mine. I am proud to say I did not heave.

Now the Spur Ride is another matter. As a modern day Cavalry Trooper, you have to earn your Spurs. You do a day long test of your skills as a Cavalry Scout, not unlike an Expert Infantry Badge test. Once you have passed all the tests, you are inducted into the Cavalry, and you have to drink the "grog". The "grog" is a vile concoction of just about anything that you can imagine. The first time I did a spur ride(at NTC), there was everything from Everclear(180 proof moonshine) to motor oil and sand. Everything added has a significance to our brave fallen Cavalry Troopers from yesteryear up to the current Cavalry Trooper and his steel steed. I have to admit that I did not hold my "grog" that night. There is a type of "grog" that is made and consumed at almost every Cavalry Formal dinner(dining in/out) but it is very weak in comparison to the real stuff that is used in spur ceremonies(Troopers only).

I do have to say that my proudest Military moment was in in Iraq in 2005 when I was "knighted" and awarded my Gold(Combat) Spurs. A very special moment and one I shall remember for the rest of my days.

John