Reloading: Mag primers, what can I use them for?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Reloading: Mag primers, what can I use them for?

Post by J Miller »

I've been loading 45 Colts, 45 ACP, 45 AR, for over 30 years. I've rarely purchased magnum primers.
The other day I bought a 1000 Federal LP primers and never noticed the box said 155 Magnum. Duh ....... we were all standing around bs'ing too much.

Anywho the store is out of standard primers so I'm stuck with them.

So, what can I use LP Mag primers for?
Or a better question would be what load(s) could I use in my two .45 Colt lever guns that might need, or work better with mag primers?

I don't own any big bore magnum handgun rounds, all I have is my .45s.

So for the sake of exercising our brains what load could I cook up for them that would need or work better with mag primers?

Nothing over 300gr bullets though, jacketed or lead is OK.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Reloading: Mag primers, what can I use them for?

Post by gary rice »

J Miller wrote:I've been loading 45 Colts, 45 ACP, 45 AR, for over 30 years. I've rarely purchased magnum primers.
The other day I bought a 1000 Federal LP primers and never noticed the box said 155 Magnum. Duh ....... we were all standing around bs'ing too much.

Anywho the store is out of standard primers so I'm stuck with them.

So, what can I use LP Mag primers for?
Or a better question would be what load(s) could I use in my two .45 Colt lever guns that might need, or work better with mag primers?

I don't own any big bore magnum handgun rounds, all I have is my .45s.

So for the sake of exercising our brains what load could I cook up for them that would need or work better with mag primers?

Nothing over 300gr bullets though, jacketed or lead is OK.

Joe
I use magnum primers in 45 colt and 44 mag utilizing 296 and h-110, imr 4227.
g rice
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I'd think you could use them with Lil'gun/296/h110 without any problems. I'm sure you could use them with 2400 loads as well.

I've been using the Winchester LPs with my 2400 loads and they're rated as std and mag primers.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

4227 has a similar burning rate to AA5744. I've got some 5744 loaded with CCI mag primers now. Just haven't had the chance to shoot them.
All the other IMR 4227 loads I've used were shot with Win WLP primers I think, and jacketed bullets and did nicely.

I've never used 296/H110 so I have no idea how it works. Sounds like an idea though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

H110 and 296 are my favorite powders in 45 colt and 44 mag I use mag primmers in both.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

H110 makes the .45 Colt come alive!! :D And it meters like a dream.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:H110 makes the .45 Colt come alive!! :D And it meters like a dream.

AMEN BROTHER

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

the owner of our local reloading store insisted I use magnum primers for .357. I read that they elevate pressure by 10%, don't know how true that is. But they were more accurate for me.

With 2400 some people have issues with unburnt kernels and it seems the magnum primers would help with that.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

El Chivo wrote:the owner of our local reloading store insisted I use magnum primers for .357. I read that they elevate pressure by 10%, don't know how true that is. But they were more accurate for me.

With 2400 some people have issues with unburnt kernels and it seems the magnum primers would help with that.
I heard that too, that mag primers raise pressure by about 5000 cup using 2400. Im not sure if it's true or not but by staying a little lower than the max charge with 2400 one should be ok i would think. I always use mag primers with 296/h-110 even with max loads.
g rice
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

A few manuals ago folks used to specify mag primers with such powders as Unique. I loaded a ton of them and they worked well. I do find max loads should be back off from, however, especially with 2400 and 240 gr. LSWC's in .44 Mag.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've read the comments about using mag primers with 2400 and Unique as well. With 2400 I've never found much difference when I used it in the .357 Mag. But then I don't load as hot as the manual max loads. My S&W Mdl 28 just won't handle it.

With Unique using mag primers is just plain silly. It's over kill at best.

I suppose I could use them up with my 2400 powder in the 45 Colt. I don't think that would hurt much.

A poster over on another forum I posted this on linked me to Pacos article about the .45 Colt in rifles and suggested I try some Alliant RL 7. I just might give that a shot.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

maybe, but I was using them with Blue Dot which is also fast. I put it down to the case length being longer for .357 as opposed to other small pistol cases like 38 special.

As long as you're within safe pressures, it would seem to me there would be no harm in the hotter spark. Might cut down on that "powder position in the case" phenomenon.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

YOU could use 'em in MY 7mm Remington Magnum! :mrgreen: Or as said above.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo wrote:
maybe, but I was using them with Blue Dot which is also fast. I put it down to the case length being longer for .357 as opposed to other small pistol cases like 38 special.

As long as you're within safe pressures, it would seem to me there would be no harm in the hotter spark. Might cut down on that "powder position in the case" phenomenon.
Might, if I believed in that. I've shot Unique for over 35 years and never once have seen the phenomenon.

Griff,

If'n you want's 'em I'll trade you for a box of regular LP primers next time you roll through.

LP primers in a 7mm Rem Mag??? Ummmm, shouldn't you use LR primers in that?

Joe
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I use magnum primers in all of my handgun loads. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between standard and magnum primers. Ken Waters did an extensive article on 38 Special +P loads and found that magnum primers could add another 100 fps to a load with all things being equal; that't not a lot of pressure to worry about (unless you're already at max.). Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore did some tests a while back and said he found no difference in velocities between loads using standard and magnum primers - all other things being equal. So, if your loads are just standard, use the magnum primers. You may see a little bit more pressure but not much.

I use magnum primers in everything because some of my slow powders call for magnum primers and I'd just as soon use one primer (except for size) in everything. Plus, you discovered one big benefit of magnum pistol primers, they are almost always available.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Idiot wrote:I use magnum primers in all of my handgun loads. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between standard and magnum primers. Ken Waters did an extensive article on 38 Special +P loads and found that magnum primers could add another 100 fps to a load with all things being equal; that't not a lot of pressure to worry about (unless you're already at max.). Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore did some tests a while back and said he found no difference in velocities between loads using standard and magnum primers - all other things being equal. So, if your loads are just standard, use the magnum primers. You may see a little bit more pressure but not much.

I use magnum primers in everything because some of my slow powders call for magnum primers and I'd just as soon use one primer (except for size) in everything. Plus, you discovered one big benefit of magnum pistol primers, they are almost always available.
+1 Idiot is right on the money---I've used 'em for just about everything and never noticed a difference in accuracy or pressures. In fact, When using ammo in very cold weather, I make it a point to use magnum primers, especially in rifles.---------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

I think cci used to publish handouts about mag vs standard primers, mag primers have more brizzance when fired ie a brighter flash for improved powder ignition.I use mag large rifle primers in my 06 & 300wm.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I haven't been reloading long and last year asked on this forum "Primers does it really matter".

One day while shooting at the range last winter it was a really cold day (10º or less). I was shooting a .30-06 and it seemed like there was a difference/lag in ignition time (very, very, very, very, very, slight).

Anyway, there was an old-timer shooting a couple of lanes over and I mentioned it to him. He asked what primers I was using and I told him Winchester Large Rifle Primers. He said that in cold -- very cold -- weather to try Magnum Primers in all handloads whether pistol or rifle. He said that the magnum primers caused a hotter -- therefore, a better burn of the powder in cold weather.

Over the next couple of days, I handloaded ten .30-06 reloads and used Remington Large Rifle Magnum Primers. I took them to the range a few days later (once again about 10º) and the .30-06s with magnum primers fired just fine -- just like my usual in warm weather.

So, I now have 10-rounds made using magnum primers for each caliber I reload for for really cold weather. I backed the loads down by ½ gr and they are shoot fine.

Just an idea and thought that some might use.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah well Joe, just saw that "magnum" appllelation and so my funny fell flat! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

What Sixgun and Modoc said...
I have used Magnum primers exclusively in cold weather 38spl and 357 SASS loads with Red Dot and Unique. Not a problem. Have also practiced in warm indoor range using the same.
Heck... use em up.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used the CCI Magnum primers in my .480 Ruger with H110 and WW296. I also used the standard primers. Without using a chronograph, I couldn't tell the difference. The accuracy was still as good as I am capable of. Now that I have bifocals in both my glasses and contacts, I need to get to the range again and find out if they help. I think the Magnum Primers are supposed to give a little more flame to ignite a heavy or compressed charge more reliably. Perhaps in cold weather hunting they could offer a bigger advantage.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost