New load for my .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

New load for my .357

Post by gundownunder »

Hey y'all,
I just picked up a batch of 125gr XTP bullets to try in my 357 and the only powder I've got on hand suitable for it is 2400.
Loaded up a few last night with a start load of 17gr just to see how they go. I note in one of Pacos articles he cant understand why Lee lists 17.6 as a max load as pressure is still very mild at that, wouldn't be cause theres no more room in the case would it :lol: .
So I'm just wondering what sort of velocity and accuracy people have got from this combination out of the 20" barrel, either within the Lee limits or over them, and if you went over the max, how far? (purely for information purposes,not for dangerous reloading shortcuts).
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: New load for my .357

Post by J Miller »

The old Hercules and Alliant data had a max load of 17.5grs of 2400 with a Rem 125gr SJHP. I've used that load in a Marlin 1894 CS with excellent results.
The data states the pressure is: 39,900 CUP at 1745 FPS from their test barrel. I couldn't find what length it was.

There may or may not be room left over in the cases, but this is a max load. My S&W Mdl 28 cannot handle it. It locks up the cylinder and I have to pound the empties out. My OM BH .357 shoots it fine, but it's still hot.

On the receiving end it is vicious. I used to take a full sized Eisenhower dollar coin and put a soda can full of water on top of it. Then shoot it with my Marlin using this load. It would disintegrate the can, vaporize the water and imprint the coin on the bottom of the can.
I never had the chance to shoot an animal with that load, but I'd suspect it would be blown to bits just as the can of water was.

Personally, I wouldn't exceed the 17.5 gr powder charge.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

I agree very strongly with Mr Miller,DO NOT EXCEED that load, bad things WILL happen. By the way, you may have guessed by now that I have done that very thing with less than stellar results! Never saw anything tie up A Ruger GP100 before!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Went to the range yesterday and tried this load with 17, 17.1, and 17.2 gr, the first 2 went into 5" at 100, the 17.2 went 4.5", so if these are going to work it looks like its going to be at the top end of the load.
These are a pleasant load to shoot and certainly dont have the recoil of the 125gr factory stuff so If I can find a load with minute of rabbit head accuracy I'll be happy.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.