New Levergun, anyone know what I got?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

New Levergun, anyone know what I got?

Post by reo »

I went to the valley today to pick up some reloading supplies and another 336. I went through town and then up to an area known as the orchards when I thought to myself, 'What in the world am I doing up here? Your turning in to Mr. Magoo.' The place I was intending to go was down on the river. Anyway, I decided while I was up there I should stop at the pawn shop. Long story short they had three 336's, a standard 336 with scope and missing the cap on the pistol grip, the one pictured and another straight stock with at least an inch shorter barrel but with a cracked stock. There was also a post 64 Winchester in awful shape all for $249.99 each. I offered $150 for the one with the cracked stock. They declined. So I ended up with just this one. I was wondering is their anything special other than the straight stock and are replacement straight stocks easy to find? I'd still like to get the other one. Did they make a shorter barrel in this rifle or did someone shorten the other one, I couldn't tell?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: New Levergun, anyone know what I got?

Post by J Miller »

reo,

That is the kind of Marlin 336 I'd like to own. Slim forearm, straight stock, right caliber.

You done pretty good one that one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I not big on knowledge concerning the post war Marlins but I do believe that is their "Texan Model" Their barrel lenghts were 18.5" or 20". (I think) The stock looks fine--if those nicks bother you just strip off the finish with Zip-Strip and add some True Oil but DON"T sand. (A little 4-O steel wool is OK) The Zip-Strip will raise most of the small nicks.---------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

I just found Hobie's article on the 336 straight grip. In it he says it is referred to as the Texan. I am wondering if it would be worth it to get that other one and restock. Any suggestions?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Depends on what they want for the other, and what it is. If it's the 16" barreled Marauder, and the price is under $250 with a cracked stock, it's still worth it. If it's just the shorter barreled version of the Texan, then it should be down around $175-$200 with a cracked stock. Might be better to fix the stocks and refinish, than to replace them. Labor is cheaper than money!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I'm with MM93.....I'd buy that gun and fix the stock with Acraglass. After refinishing it would be dandy!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When MM93 speaks I listen. If I'd seen it I'd a bought it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

I think I need to be sneaking back down to the valley tomorrow. :lol: Thank you all. :wink: