38-55 woes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

38-55 woes

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I ordered one of the half round half octagon Winchester barrels from Buffalo Arms.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3476.html
I have only had it at the range one time and was shooting Winchester factory ammo, and it did not preform very well 3"-4" group, 3" high and 3" to the left at 50 yards.
I slugged the barrel after that trip to the range and found .374" bore and .379" groove.
I have a Lyman mold that drops bullets at .381". I figure that they ought to be just the ticket. I just need to find a sizing die for my Lyman 450, it seems that .379 is the largest die that I can find. I would like to find a .381" die but a .380" would do in a pinch. Is there anyone that makes custom sizing dies for the Lyman 450?

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Ysabel Kid

Re: 38-55 woes

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Duff -

Doesn't sound good, but it does sound like you are on the right track. Good luck, keep us posted, and post some pictures when you get her straightened out!

BTW, I don't know of anyone making custom sizing dies - but you know this bunch; if someone is, someone here will know about it! :D
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I believe if you check over on the Cast Boolit Forum you may find someone who will open up a sizing die or make one to your specs. I believe there is several who do and it has been reported they do very good work, inexpensive and quick turn around. ATB
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It would be really nice if gun makers would bother to size barrels appropriately. Since when does ".357" mean ".362", or ".452" mean ".459" :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

While the .38-55 is a fine cartridge it seems to be subject to more such barrels than any other cartridge.

I'd get a .379" sizer and open it up the extra .002". Should be pretty easy as it is only .002" or .001" per radius.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TwoCup
Levergunner

Post by TwoCup »

The firm below offers custom sizing dies.

Stephen E. Francies
SEF Sports
109 Woodlawn Avenue
Green Bay, WI 54303-2847
920-497-8790
sefsportsgb@aol.com

TwoCup
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Try shooting the bullets UNSIZED first . Just lube them in a pan or tumble lube them with Lee LIquid Alox . ( YEs you can tumble lube bullets that are NOt tumble lube bullets )
I have two 38-55 rifles and both have given me fits over the years both need bullets at 380 to shoot well . Both shoot well now and I DO NOT usually size the bullets as they come out of the mold . I alwasy try the bullet first right out of the mold before I try shizing it .
ALSO lee will make you one of theri sizer kits to any diameter you want . Call their custom shop and order it BOTH times I have done that wit hthem they have told me 6 to 8 weeks bboth times I have had the sizer. IN less that 4 weeks. I have also had them make for me their trim sets for 38/56 Winchester and for 7.5 Swiss ( this was before they had 7.5 as a regular item ) They will be happy to oblige you
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have two vintage Winchester 38-55's, one with a .379 groove diameter and one with a .381 groove diameter. I do not size the cases for either. I just install the bullet and crimp.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I believe that Buffalo Arms also has the size die you want.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Buffalo Arms does offer custom expander stems for RCBS, Redding expander dies. Check their web page for any others. I have purchased several and have been very pleased. 1886
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Thanks for the information I will be getting busy with getting this rifle straightened out. It would be a shame to have such a beautiful rifle that won't shoot.

Would someone please refresh my memory: I know that for plane base bullets it is best to size .001"-.002" larger than the groove diameter. Some how I am thinking that gas checked bullets cam be shot at groove diameter, am I right in my thinking?

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Split a wooden dowell and insert a strip of Emery cloth. Oil it up and work it back and forth in the die. Work with say 180 to start and finish with 320. 15 minutes work and size a bullet every 5 minutes till it drops the right size. Remember that the original 38-55 had boores from 377 to 380, they relied on soft lead to slug up under b/p. Get your bullit right and the barrel will shoot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

KCSO wrote:Split a wooden dowell and insert a strip of Emery cloth. Oil it up and work it back and forth in the die. Work with say 180 to start and finish with 320. 15 minutes work and size a bullet every 5 minutes till it drops the right size. Remember that the original 38-55 had boores from 377 to 380, they relied on soft lead to slug up under b/p. Get your bullit right and the barrel will shoot.
Hey, great idea. THATs the one I'm gonna try next. I have been opening up moulds the old fashioned way. I take a bullet that actually came out of the mould---then I drill a hole right smack in the middle of it---------then I take a screw and screw it in---------cut the head off-----------chuck it in a drill press--------coat the bullet with valve grinding compound.------------put the bullet back in the mould and turn the press on in low speed---------spin it for about 15 seconds and do it again if need be.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

1886 wrote:Buffalo Arms does offer custom expander stems for RCBS, Redding expander dies. Check their web page for any others. I have purchased several and have been very pleased. 1886
Thanks for the info. I ordered the .381" for my 38-55 and a .414" for my 405 win with a .413" groove. Happy Day!!! :D :D